Most influential R&B album?

Love the song, love the album. Hell, I’m from SW TN! I can’t call it influential, though. It’s not a call to action. It doesn’t make one rethink his actions or the consequences of said actions. It’s simply love being professed. Simply…

2 Likes

There are nearly 3x as many comments on the thread about Metal albums. Wow.

2 Likes

Well! WOOT! is diversified!

Only real lyrics regardless of genre.

1 Like

I thought the same thing and decided to throw in my post to add to the numbers. Lol

1 Like

Ok, I know I need to go to bed. This song makes me want to pull out all my favorites! I have been on a binge since my first post and feel my 2nd wind kicking in!

1 Like

Composer credit: Carole King, Gerry Goffin, and Jerry Wexler.

2 Likes
  • another.
2 Likes

I wish there was more speed control gradations. 1.25 is actually too fast. 1.10 to 1.15 would have been preferred. But if not in a coffee house, I think a bit faster tempo would be good. And I am not a 20 something. She is young. Has potential to have a long illustrious career like Aretha Franklin.

1 Like

I will definitely check to see if someone has it on YouTube

Americas Got Talent What GIF by iOne Digital

Too hard to decide…

3 Likes

Always respoected Carole King for her compositions and lyric writing. In a performance by Aretha Franklin, it was interesting to see how enthralled and pleased Carole King (she’s singing or mouthing the words too in audience) was with the pacing and passion of Franklin’s interpretation even in that last year of her life 2018.

3 Likes

Found it from her with slightly faster pacing (5 years later). It also shows she is multi-talented doing the intro herself as a flutist! Pacing is I think well suited to the less intimate surround on a larger stage.

India Arie live at the Jakarta International Java Jazz Festival 2014 - Enjoy:

1 Like

That has nothing to do with genre. It has to do with the fact that metal is the poll on the main page and I don’t even know where this poll was posted so more people SAW the metal poll. Everything isn’t biased.

I don’t even really like heavy metal with the exception of some Metallica, some Ozzy and Black Sabbath but no where near as much as I enjoy real R&B from when music was good. But as you can see, it took me 24 hours to even see this poll and that was because it was top on the front page of the forums.

Quit trying to make everything fit a narrative.

Thank you sooo much for fining that rendition. You have blessed my mind and eyes this morning. I wish to send you a thousand :heart:!

Some people don’t like to look into their soul and be challenged. So they go for more meaningless beats and superficial lyrics constantly. They have their place of distraction but it does not uplift their “state of mind”.

1 Like

I didn’t take that original comment as your view quoted regarding WOOT! Forums. I thought it was geared more towards the age of WOOTERS and their music interest. I, too, didn’t see the poll until last night. It could have been the case that it was posted out of sync with normal posting.

Edit: TBH I would have preferred them to break it down by era. To me Brown sugar didn’t necessarily fit with Aretha and “them”. My two cents. @PrydeWater

1 Like

The main page.

1 Like

Just because it fits a narrative doesn’t mean I made it fit.
BTW, you mentioned recently hilly country in the south with curvy roads. That rules out Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, and most of Alabama and Georgia. That pretty much leaves central/eastern TN, western NC, extreme north GA and the Virginias.

1 Like

I had Brown Sugar on CD and loved it. While a great album, I just don’t see anything influential about it.

2 Likes

I don’t remember saying that or in what context it was but… how do you figure? Those states ain’t got country roads, or curvy roads or hilly roads? I know for a fact that Alabama does. I drive them every day. I mean Red Mountain is the beginning of the Appalachian Chain. Pretty sure that counts as “hilly” and “curvy.” And I’m pretty sure that there are hilly, curvy, country roads everywhere except for the flatlands in the midwest.

Yup. I admit to saying that most of Alabama is pretty flat. You’re making your specific part of Alabama fit your… hmm… :face_with_monocle: Look. I’m a reasonable person. I tried having a conversation. While I’m here, I DO NOT condone his actions, but 12 Play and Chocolate Factory are two MUCH more influential R&B albums than Brown Sugar was.

1 Like