Motorola Home Monitoring and Control System

I would love to give this as a gift to the two babes that live down the hall…not mentioning the remote access part…lol

they don’t hate macs, the people who make computer hardware do. woot doesn’t develop or manufacture products, they just sell what’s out there already (for the most part).
When you have less than 10% market share, and somebody else has over 80%, it shouldn’t be surprising that you get ignored and the majority gets catered to. it’s business.
And I’m no Apple-basher, I’m typing this on my PowerBook.

So the ‘optional’ service you pay for is “required” to remote monitor or have them tell you if something moves? As in, without paying a monthly fee you are only allowed to see what’s going on around your house from the computer that is in your house?

Don’t blame woot. The fact is that since the majority of computers currently in use are PC’s, most manufacturers products are PC compatible, so that they can market to the largest number of potential buyers.
One example, Best Buy Reward certificates can ONLY be printed on a PC with IE software. Go figure…
BTW, I’m a mac user myself.

the attrm at&t remot monitor looks way bett for 10 more bucks

This is an old system. The current service is offered by ATT and costs $99 for the starter kit with a webcam worth $150.

https://www.attrm.com/attrm06_buyit_mid.htm

my wife could aim one at the stove and while she is upstairs ironing she could watch the food she is cooking lol dont tell her i said that

'cept you only got one camera…

Here is a pimpn’ demo of the device. Informative in an annoying sort of way…
http://www.smarthomeusa.com/Common/motorola-homesight/#demo

So, this is Woot’s version of the X-10 web browser popup cam? Heh.

Hmm, quasi-Euro posting date on the site too (04-01-2007)

Oh, and thank you Woot for sending me my Woot Screaming Monkeys from the Woot Wine! Sorry for the wine-whine…

My son broke one already (he has a curse from Gypsies or some crap) and I hid the other. Great fun!

anyways, anyone own this deallio? Seems like an “old” product already that wont be supported soon

Yes grasshopper, but that price does not include the extra camera does it? Nor the one year free service.

Not for me. So far, the crime in my area doesn’t make me want one. Hopefully I will never want one. Thanks anyway Woot.

Thanks for the consolation prize of the tidbit “not mac compatible”, and goodnight…

Yeah, if you look around, sometimes you’ll see an early D-Link or other IP camera with built in web server for cheap. I got a discontinued one from Fry’s a while back for about $30.

Yay for technology.
B0o for 2.4GHz band
B0o for lack of security (is the signal encrypted or can anyone with a backpack of equipment see into my house?)
B0o for proprietary tech (instead of putting together networked cameras/X10 that work with any software)
B0o for sucky image quality
B0o for a subscription service (remote access? Just use a free service like DynDNS or no-ip to map an name to your house)
B0o for lack of Mac support

Not much left to like.

(wtf is with the curse catching on b0o???)

Oops, forgot it had 2 cameras. The price did include the free year, though. Did you look?

Oh man! Scared the fire out of me…I thought it was a Nintendo Wii with accessories…

What you’re missing is that most users of something like this can’t even spell VPN, let alone use VPN. The pay service is a web site where you log in with a userID and password (and on the ones I’ve seen you can create multiple “viewing” accounts to give out to other people) to allow access to your camera feeds, statistics, etc. and to allow you to “manage” the house.

Note that I don’t specifically know how well this Motorola site or product does the job.

Happy Wooting,
http://wootoff.pingbot.com/

“Not MAC Compatible”

Why do you hate me woot?

If you are into this sort of thing there are better executed models out there like the X10 system.

On the other hand if all you need to monitor is 1 window, one door and viewing 2 rooms or two areas is enough then this is simple enough.

But the X10 is much more flexible.
And you don’t always needs to pay for a subscription.