Motorola Razr V GSM Unlocked Smartphone

FWIW, the model you posted is not LTE. The fastest network it supports is HSPA+ which is what the carriers’ marketing people were referring to as 4G, even though it was really more like 3.5G.

Thanks for correcting me. I did more research and while I agree it is not 4G LTE, all reviews say it is true 4G. either way hands down so worth $40.00 more dollars.

I have this phone and can’t wait to get out of it. It’s been my main phone for 16 months and it’s tired and too slow. Plus lots of problems with the SD card reader.

Dual core and a gig of ram these days is like going back to a Commodore 64 PC. Avoid this phone.

IMO

The more recent and newer phones are actually now using 4G Sim cards for data. Same goes for US Cellular. Current Verizon LTE phones have their SIM slots unlocked and can be used with other services like At&t or T-Mobile. You can read more about Verizon’s 4G Sim here SIM Card FAQs - Replace & activate a new card | Verizon.

Will this phone work with Page Plus?

Can anyone (ideally a mod) verify this phone is unlocked for international use? My current travel phone is a Nokia N95 but it’s really getting old and the Symbian OS is just trash compared to Android 4.0. Would love to get this for future international traveling and would appreciate any experience others have with that.

Not sure that we know. We were told “unlocked”. I’ll ask though.

hi, this is jonathan
I would like yo know if this kind of model brings a sim card, so I’ll be able to use it in my country ( Sim card is like a chip, is not a memory card, its different, p-lease confirm this information to buy as soom as I receive the answer.

It does not come with a SIM card. You would supply your own SIM card for your carrier.

Even if you don’t use this as a phone- it makes for a decent android pocket device. Just turn off the cellular radio on it, and you are left with a nice little mobile android device, that has GPS, cameras, can do media stuff and play games- basically a better version of an IPOD. I re-purposed my old android phones for the kids to use in this way, it’s also a nice alternative if they want to take something somewhere, and a tablet is too big a form factor.

The best phone in the world is useless if you are not on a good carrier, that is why. Also, GSM means it won’t work with Verizon or Sprint.

Which means you can use it on AT&T OR T-Mobile. If Verizon supported GSM then you could use it on Verizon also but it will be a pretty useless phone on Verizon since the phone does not support CDMA.

This is an awesome site! Thanks so much for sharing

Even better, you can get a used Nexus 4 in great condition for that price (or less). I picked up a Moto G a couple months ago but it ended up being defective (wouldn’t read any SIM cards) so I sent it back, then decided to hit Swappa and get a Nexus 4 instead. Even though the N4 is almost a year older, it’s better overall than the Moto G and is easily modded to work with LTE.

It’s also worth noting that for some reason the Moto G only supports 21mbps HSPA while the Nexus 4 supports 42mbps - if you’re a T-Mobile customer, you will see a noticeable difference between the two. My Galaxy Nexus usually got ~10mbps on HSPA, while my N4 regularly sees 15+.

As for the Razr V, I would probably get one for my wife as she’s somewhat disaster-prone and these are somewhat disaster-proof, but so far she has managed to get through about 5 months without damaging her current phone so there’s no need at the moment. Also, as others have noted, this will not work on any CDMA carrier and will be dog-slow on T-Mobile since it doesn’t do 1700/2100mhz.

I am also wondering if this is unlocked for international use and, if so, what the exceptions are. Will be traveling abroad and would like a dedicated cell for that purpose.

A big red flag is the fact that this is still on Ice Cream Sandwich & can only be updated to Jellybean 4.1. There is no more software updates for this phone unless you root it & find a ROM.

Really, for the price, you should get the Moto G (mentioned earlier).

Unless a wooter can answer the question, that might be one best asked directly to Motorola.

Yes provided the country you’ll be in runs on one of the GSM frequencies this phone supports. Some ares and carriers use CDMA abroad so check with the carrier you’ll be using while traveling.

Because some of us have contracts with specific providers. Ours is Verizon and Sprint, AT&T and other providers phones do not work on the Verizon network (CDMA as a moderator finally replied after I was sleeping.) I’m glad we didn’t take the chance for an extra phone for the account as it wouldn’t have worked.

We have the right to know specs or some of us don’t make a purchase. Stop complaining, what’s important to you isn’t important to me and the reverse.

It’s always good to know what we are talking about before giving advice.
If you travel internationally, GSM phone is the only way to go. Because excepting Verizon and Sprint in the US and some carriers in Japan, the rest of the world, all of Europe, use GSM.

So when you hear about a world phone, guarantee you that the are talking about a GSM one. The GSM phones that you have might not have all the proper frequencies for every country, but it will work and transfer data. Unlike a CDMA phone that wont work at all.

The IPhone 5C and 5S are truly world phones. They have all GSM and LTE bands and even come with CDMA in case you happen to travel to one of those odd countries that have it.