Mr. Beer Home Beer Kit Premium Edition

How does this come packaged in the mail?

I would like to get this for a friend (whom is of legal drinking age, as am I). I would rather not have the conversation about why I purchased a 2 gallon beer making kit.

TL DR: Is the packaging discrete, or are you just going to slap a sticker on the box and send it out?

I’m sorry to say that you aren’t just wrong: you’re nuts. I’ve made this before and it turned out fantastic. You don’t have to like the fact that my friends who have carboys and their own recipes drained my bottles, but they did, down to the proverbial last drop.

The most likely problems when anyone makes homebrew is that the materials aren’t sanitized and that the beer isn’t properly matured. Those mistakes are arguably more likely to be made by rookies, and this setup will appeal more to rookies. That does not mean that this is a bad package; rookies can make those mistakes just as easily, perhaps even moreso, with the more complex carboy setup. I was fanatical about sanitizing and aged only one bottle of beer the company’s recommended minimum of five weeks – to make sure it wasn’t skunked – and then aged the rest for two to three months.

I’ve been drinking basement beer for 20+ years and there’s been plenty of swill. It’s up to the brewmaster, not the kit.

bought this last year when it was offered… for the casual beer drinker it is FUN to just make a batch and wait a month to see how it turns out. add more sugar for more alcohol!

I bought this a year ago for about the same price. Followed instructions and beer turned out kinda like Busch Light. It was decent, but nothing special. Was fun telling everyone I made my own and I shared a few glasses. Good for a beginner. Just sanitize everything as instructed and don’t drink before they’re ready.

I’ve been using Mr. Beer since it came up on woot previously. I love it, so much so that I bought a second fermenter and have a bunch of resealable blue bottles.

I have gotten pretty $@-faced off some of my brews, and I have a particular fondness to the “Horse’s Ass” recipe, and the “Witty Monk” premium refill pack. There are tons of recipes with detailed information on each, as well as consistent sales (usually 25% off refill packs).

I agree with some of the other posters that it’s a good starting place, but you can get someone advanced with the Mr. Beer kits if you choose to.

You’re exactly right.

Some years ago, a group of my friends and I took up homebrewing as a hobby. I’m not trying to brag, but two of us consistently made better beer than the others, from our first batches on. Why? The two of us both worked in a science lab, so we already had plenty of experience doing similar things.

BTW, I gave up the hobby when I had kids, but my friend stuck with it, moved on to homebrew contests, and won many ribbons.

Previous Woot

Here’s a Mr. Beer forum.

Another great thing about homebrewing is that it’s a progressive hobby. You can start with this Mr. Beer kit, and if you like, get fancier equipment (and brew larger batches!), but still do kit brewing, which requires the least effort and expertise.

Of course, you can just stay with Mr. Beer - they offer quite a variety of brewing kits.

If you want to move on to something a little fancier, you can do specialty-grain brewing, which takes a little longer, and allows you to make a greater variety of tasty beers.

Finally, you can graduate to all-grain brewing. This involves doing everything from scratch, including doing your own mash (some brewers start with partial mashing first). This is by far the most time consuming, but it also allows you the most flexibility, and when you become good at it, you have the satisfaction of knowing that you’re doing the “real deal” - the same as professional brewers do. Many homebrewers at this level grow their own hops.

From casual hobbiest to fanatic homebrewer, the key words are fun and beer!

p.s. another word worth knowing is Reinheitsgebot.

I bought one of these last year and now have two. I’ve made 45 batches so far (counting the two that are fermenting now) and all but the first two have been better than what I can buy at the store. I added white sugar to the first two and only let them sit at room temperature for a week before refrigerating them for a few days and drinking.

Now most of my batches ferment for at least 2 weeks and stay at room temperature for at least 3 months (I drank one that I bottled 6 months ago earlier this evening). I also don’t use sugar, but instead use additional malt extract and/or or grains.

I don’t have room for a bigger setup. These fit on a shelf of a book case, so they’re out of the way. The only thing you can do with a 5 gallon fermenter that you can’t do with a 2.125 gallon (or 2.4 if you cheat and fill to the bottom of the Q) fermenter is make 5 gallons of beer. You can do an all grain or a partial mash if you want. The drawback to going all grain or partial mash with a Mr Beer kit is that it takes just as long to make 2-2.5 gallons as it does to make 5 gallons.

In addition to the other forums listed, there’s a forum on the Mr Beer site:
http://community.mrbeer.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=58

“complete joys of homebrew” is the best book ever for homebrewers, look for the 3rd edition if you can find it

that and look for the book on European clone beers, nothing like making your own batch of skullspliter

They call me MISTER Beer!

Every time I see a product with “Mr.” in front of whatever product it is, it reminds me of that line.

They call me MISTER Coffee!
They call me MISTER Pibb! (that one works pretty well)

How can you forget Mr. Plow?!

Mr Beer welcomes wooters with a deal!

Click on the link. Mr Beer is giving Wooters 10% off today.

Offer ends at midnight EST

Enter coupon code WBD33.

SCORE!

or, Mr. Greenjeans!

http://www.ancientrails.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/mr-green-jeans.jpg

more on Hugh Brannum

and a classic fromGeorge and the Cap’n

Don’t you mean Mr. Root Beer?

350x300

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…

The 2 ltr growlers sold by mr beer are awesome.The beer kits not so much.

http://www.mrbeer.com/images/products/48-LRG.jpg

I’m in for one. I’ve been wanting to try home brewing for a few years now. This looks like an easy way to get started.

The purchase of this item will ultimately end up getting you kicked out of the kitchen. You will also graduate to the Mr. Mr. Beer kit and have a beer belly.

Judging by the other comments,I’m beginning to think you just did it wrong(that’s assuming you have actually used it).In any case for $25 bucks it seems like a good way to “test the waters” of homebrew.Even if it’s not great I’ll have an idea whether I want to move on with a better quality rig and ingredients.
Thanks for the input,but at this price it’s well worth a spin to me.
in 4 1