MTD 20-Volt Cordless Tiller / Cultivator

One review at Cosco: http://reviews.costco.com/2070/100036192/snow-joe-mtd-gold-9-cordless-electric-tiller-cultivator-reviews/reviews.htm

I wonder how accurate the battery life estimate is.

I wonder how long it takes to charge up, and if the battery life gets shorter over time like my drill did.

It’s a Lithium Ion battery. Aren’t those better at retaining a full charge?

According to The Internet

“A lithium-ion battery pack loses only about 5 percent of its charge per month, compared to a 20 percent loss per month for NiMH batteries.”

Specs say:
Battery Recharge Time: 2 hours

I love this concept and I love the price point! Finally, a good battery (lithium-ion), which is light years ahead of the junk we are using today, in a cultivator. This machine is only a fraction of the weight and bulk of the 6 hp gas driven cultivator I own and it works without the noise created by a gas engine. A small woman, even if she’s a grandmother can probably use it with ease. I’m going to try one.

Don’t even think about this if you have clay soil, it’ll just bounce around on top of the ground. If you have soil that’s easily turned with a pitchfork then this can work for you.

In 2001, MTD acquired Garden Way including the Troy-Bilt and Bolens brands. The Troy-Bilt 20-Volt 9-in Cordless Electric Cultivator Model # TBC57 rated a 4.7 out of 5, based on 6 reviews. The specs for the T-B seem to be the same as the ones for today’s woot (MTD MTDC57).

Would the battery need to be stored above freezing during winter? ( Shed and garage are not heated) It doesn’t look to be that big , that it would be too much of a pain to carry to the basement ?

After extensive research I narrowed the choice to this one on the mother ship:
http://www.amazon.com/Earthwise-TC70001-11-Inch-Electric-Cultivator/dp/B004H4X6Z6
Less expensive, most positive reviews& free shipping. It’s corded but not sure that’s a bad thing.

I stand by only purchasing lawn equipment with an engine…and from a reputable brand.

20V, 2.6 amp hour? That’s only a 52 watt-hour battery. Stated 30 minutes of runtime means an average power consumption of 104 watts.
The runtime is probably shorter if you are doing hard work with it.

MTD is a reputable manufacturer… they contract manufacture the outdoor power equipment for almost every brand on the shelf at Lowes and HD.

Can’t argue if you prefer an internal combustion engine…

I bought that model a few months and have used it to clear a few landscaping beds so far, and am currently in the process of using it to clear out a 960 sqft portion of lawn to make room for some grape vines. It will get the job done. Its not as good as a gas unit, but it is quiet and effective, as long as you are patient with it. Dont try to move through a large portion of lawn quickly and it will be fine. No large amount of existing grass? It will eat through it with no effort.

I looked at battery units, and several other electric ones, and I am happy with my purchase. This corded one isnt the most powerful, and I really cant see something with a battery being any better.

@danwat1234, I share your cynicism. Practical usability from that battery source in this application would be pretty impressive…

“20-Volt, 2.6-Ah lithium-ion battery that provides about 30 to 45 minutes”

My Makita drill has 3.0 Ah, 18 volt batteries and runs great, but it is not trying to spin tilling tines through hard earth.

Not worth the risk of having to return it for only 20% off LIST price. I’d rather wait and buy it locally when it’s on sale. I can get at least 10% off list price almost every week.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. Such a shame, stupid Virginia soil.

I would have agreed with you, until I bought my first lithium-ion powered Skill trimmer a few years ago (right here on Woot). I was amazed at how this battery worked compared to the batteries we are currently using. The battery continues to dispense power long after you would expect it to fade. And after all that, it takes only 2 hours to completely recharge the battery. No need to worry about the battery developing a “memory”, just charge and forget. Batteries have finally arrived!

Is there any warranty information?