Muir-Hanna Vineyards Mixed Red (6)

After they’ve tried it we’ve had quite a few folks comment that our merlot is much better than they expected a merlot to be. Our guiding style has been to keep the fruit. This offer is unique in that the 08 was made in essentially the same manner as the 06 but we did a bunch (pun intended) of hand work in the vineyard pruning off the side lobes of the bunches-gives more even ripening and more intense flavor.

The winemaking style is the same so any differences are due to year, variety, location. In a very general way, the cabs have seemed a little less intense than the merlots when young so we generally added a wee bit of merlot to the cab and vice versa (less than 5%)-seemed to make each better. The cabs have aged well and intensified a bit. The 08 merlot started and has remained a bit softer on the palate than the 06.

Our first “modern era” vineyard was my dad’s. His first(1972) and every subsequent crop goes to Chateau Montelena. So, our grapes were in the wine that won the “Paris Tasting”. Montelena also buys our petit verdot and chardonnay from our son and daughter’s vineyard. Our other chard blocks go to Heitz Cellars. Merlot goes to Castello Amaroso (Sattui); cab franc to Virage; Particelli cab to Markham. We replanted our pinot noir after 39 years and it will continue to go to Mumm Napa.

Glad this isn’t a government run site, this one generally works, you can actually make a purchase!

Last Wooter to Woot: rjquillin
Last Purchase: a minute ago

…assuming you’re in an approved state.

I entered the whole order but then was told that you don’t ship wine to New Jersey??? Whassup with that? I get Cameron Hughes and other wines direct to my doorstep. Please fix this!!!

…and the approved states are…drum-roll…

Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District Of Columbia, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Nevada, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Washington, Wyoming

We’re all adults here so let’s take some responsibility for ourselves. Read the thread.

Well done! No fairies sacrificed today.

Yes, this one.

Or if completely unaware of how to find the current offer’s ship-to list, simply click on the picture of the wine bottles on this page or the main wine.woot page (or click the “I want one” button) and scroll down below the descriptions of the wine(s) to see the ship-to list.

Meanwhile, you do have friends in Williamsville and Buffalo, NY, which have recently rejoined the “in” crowd, making woot-legging a possibility, in case you see an offer that simply can’t be passed up.

I actually meant this thread. TT linked the shipping thread above.

Loved the 03 that was offered a few weeks back. Delicate, balanced and delicious. In for one.

yea, these are a real find overall if I do say so myself.

A little above my usual price point, but in for one to celebrate the return of NY to the list and to support such an intriguing sounding offering.

In case any of you were perplexed about the name Bully!-after making the blend the first time we tried to come up with a name and label picture. We were heavily into “Back-packer Red” but it didn’t roll off the tongue easily. I then found the picture of great-grandpa Muir with Teddy R. and “Bully! Red” was born. Also of note, Muir raised grapes and fruit after marrying Louie Strentzel and also made some wine “to save the crop after a wet fall”. It is also recorded he drank wine and champagne.

Wholeheartedly agree. Keep 'em coming.

Decided to split this with a coworker, really looking forward to it.

good choice I think most folks here will like it.

sorry rj been on trevel all day, never had the Duke, when you say Peter I’m assuming Wellington?

Like I said this is a nice wine for the price, RBW blend is a excellent wine, in fact got some on its way right now.
I’m so full of wine right now, all 200 slots filled in my racks with maybe 5 cases on the floor.so I’m only jumping on “top buys” right now.
But this is a nice wine.