Mumm Napa Sparkling Trio

Yeah!!! Their wines are great!!! Deciding between 2 and 3

This place makes a ridiculous amount of champagne. It’d be nice if we got some vintage ones, but i like me some champagne!

In for 1!

Actually it is “Pinot” Meunier which is a close couson of pinot and is a red grape. Willakenzie in Oregon produces a mean version of it…
Jeff in PDX

I’m in as well. Great timing on Woot’s behalf with the Holiday(s) as usual! All this wine and never a labrat…(Hint, Hint!)

So I’m a complete novice when it comes to sparkling wines. I also don’t tend to drink them a whole lot (still got a pair of the S.Andersens from last year). As a result, I’m curious about how these will do in a cellar; how long do I have to sit on these before they start their downward slide?

Also curious about what looks to be a Sparkling-only term: Dosage. Explanation? Assuming it’s a factor of how much RS is in the wine, but what are the various levels & requirements/qualifications?

in for 1…come onnnnn labrat! :slight_smile:

(and might i add that my doorman accepts my packages, so i’m guaranteed to try it in time :stuck_out_tongue: /end shameless plug)

I know I should know this - sorry - how do I register to be in the running for LABRAT?

email labrat@woot.com with your woot username & request addition to the pool. You won’t get a confirmation email or anything; trust that you’ve been added once you send the email.

Yup - found the newsletter. Thanks!

I came across this on the Domaine Chandon website:

(the chart doesn’t cut-and-paste well)

Hmm…if there’s one thing that my wine stash is seriously lacking it’s bubbly…so tempting :slight_smile:

WD, Winefarm, et al… THANK YOU!!

First sucker: shh64
Speed to first woot: 0m 6.313s

Last wooter to woot: docklink

Thanks for the info; cut/paste isn’t THAT bad!

Levels of Sweetness … (Dosage Levels)
Doux … Extremely sweet
Demi-Sec, Dry … Very sweet
Sec … Noticeable sweetness
Extra Dry … Slight sweetness
Brut … No perceptible sweetness
Brut Nature … Bone dry

:frowning:
Just as I decide to begin my journey to elevate my wine knowledge (reds!) we get sparkling stuff. I don’t like the fizzy stuff unless it’s Diet Coke. :stuck_out_tongue: Ahhh well, there is always next week, and I can hang onto my regret for passing on some of the past weeks offerings.
Live and learn!

See ya next Sunday night.

Hehe, I know…buy it’s late and I was feeling lazy :slight_smile:

Looking through the Mumm Website, it looks like the Devaux Ranch is vintage 2002.

hard to tell ability to cellar because most of the stuff is NV. I mean i’ve had amazinggggg champagne/sparkling wine that’s priced pretty decently (30-40$ in today’s money) that is vintage at least 10 years ago.

I guess that brings up another question (I told ya, I know zilch about sparklers). What’s the deal with NV on sparkling wines? I would assume that they’re NV because there’s a mix of vintages that go into each bottle, but why (and how)? I know soleras are one way of ensuring a NV product, but I’ve only seen that associated with things like madiera (and the occasional single-malt).

When champagne/sparkling wine is made in the traditional method (methode champenoise], the yeast sediment that forms after the second fermentation is later disgorged after the bottle has undergone “riddling” or turning, so that the sediment settles in the neck of the bottle.

In disgorgment, some of the wine is lost from the bottle. So the winemaker adds back a “dosage” - a mixture of sugar and wine/brandy - before putting on the final cork. The percentage of sugar in the dosage determines the ultimate style of wine. A higher percentage will create a sec or demi sec wine, while a lower percentage will yield a brut or extra dry.

I don’t know how well these particular sparklers will age, but I once was treated to a 20+ year old Dom Perignon that was gaspingly terrific!

As for me, I love sparkling wine best of all! IMHO, the greatest crime of all is reserving it just for birthdays or New Year’s Eve. So in my house a bottle is routinely uncorked for no other reason than the fact that it’s Tuesday. Or I finished planting my garden. Or it’s raining.

IN FOR THREE!!!

This is from the member forums:

WD, Is this the case with Mumm Napa? is my order going to be canceled?

MMMMMM… I love Mumm. By far my favorite sparkling wine purveyor, especially at this price point. Always thought they got a bad rap on "Meet the Parents. (And, btw, as anyone on Long Island knows, there isn’t a drugstore on the island that sells wine of any kind…)

I’m in for 2, so I can enjoy the Holidays and (maybe) even save one for New Years.
So,to reference the movie, I guess I just got a bunch of Mumm’s.

Bring on the Sake now, Woot!