Muslim Festivals in Kerala

A Kerala Tourism will offer a rare picture of secular co-existence and religious harmony. Miladi Sharif or barah wafat, the Birthday celebration of Prophet Mohammed, is a major Muslim festival in Kerala that falls on the 20th of April.
During these days, learned men deliver sermons on the life and noble deeds of the Prophet, night-long discourses are conducted by Muslim Ulemas on various aspects of the life of the Prophet. Thus through the celebrations connected with the Miladi Sherif, the Muslim masses get an opportunity to be enlightened on the life and teachings of the Prophet.
The celebration of the Miladi Sherif in certain parts of the State, for instance Ponnani, is marked by busy activity connected with large scale feeding of the poor. Here in the Muslim Center, one finds that the town active during the whole night busily engaged in the charitable work of supplying food to the poor.
Recently Miladi Sherif celebration has assumed greater importance in Kerala. Colorful processions are also held through the towns reciting Thakbir and finally converge on some central place where public meetings are held. Well-known speakers address these public gatherings on the various aspects of the Prophet’s life.

um, is this spam? or just for informative? or practice of english?

Well, for those not into the heavier and more thoughtful celebrations, may I present you with some other summer options. Some of these have the side benefit of being closer to home.

[link=10 Weird Summer Festivals - Gadling]Things to do this summer[/link]
[link=http://www.2camels.com/festivals/bizarre-festivals.php]More stuff[/link]

Read these and comment on your favorite.

I’d have to go with headless chicken day!

Stlwooter, the kindergartens here celebrate holi day (sorry if I butchered the spelling) (gotta understand, I was learning this from a 5 year old…they aren’t good with details)
The part they liked was taking color water and chalk and getting on each others clothing.
It was some sort of Indian holiday. I’m not sure what religion.

India is what? 20 hours on the plane?
Not me.
I would love to go to a wedding though. I want my hands painted. But right now, I only know boys. Daughter isn’t friends with many kids she went to school with anymore.
I’m thinking I would need to be a friend of the bride to be included in the girl stuff.

You do know that we are in June now don’t you. This is a little late.

J3, is this spam? I thought Muslims can’t have any pork products.

OMG!!! Spam is pork?!?!?!?!? //gag . . . retch . . . hurl . . .

They say it’s pork, but I just don’t know what pieces of the pork they use. Lips and assholes I would guess.

Does it matter the parts?!?!?!? It’s P O R K?!?!?!?!?!?

Yes, it’s P O R K, it even comes with P O R K jelly for dessert.

heavy sigh

Sorry. My lump of clay (brain) isn’t working normally today.

Is no problem

Catch me on Wed. I’ll be staying at a holiday inn express when I go out of town for a meeting.

BOL!!!

We interrupt fun for a moment. Spam is pork shoulder and ham.

We now return you to your thread.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/6691/180pxspamad230303nr7.jpg

Can you have eggs with that?

sure, just pour them raw over the top!

“Well, there’s egg and bacon; egg, sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg, bacon and spam; egg, bacon, sausage and spam; spam, bacon, sausage and spam; spam, egg, spam, spam, bacon and spam; spam, sausage, spam, spam, spam, bacon, spam, tomato and spam; spam, spam, spam, egg and spam…”

Youtube