Mustache Vineyards Mixed Red Case
Sold by: AH Wines (H-G Vineyards)
$99.99 $216.00 54% off List Price
2012 Mustache Cabernet Sauvignon, Lodi
2012 Mustache Zinfandel, Lodi
2012 Mustache Merlot, Lodi
CT links above

Winery website

Wow, residual sugar numbers are awfully high! Well above what I generally think of as perceptible. Although the acid and alcohol numbers look good for my tastes. So what’s up with the sugar?

Dear Wine Idiots, like me

I don’t know squat about wine, and I don’t care. I’m busy. My job, my life… I don’t have time to care about the subtleties and nuances of wine. I don’t care if it has notes of blackberries or notes of pussy. I just want to drink something that gives me some momentary sense of pleasure. So, my strategy, is buy what’s on sale at Trader Joe’s or Costco. Let them decide what’s good 'cause I don’t have the time, and I buy it… at a discount… and go on with my life.

My taste buds think wine taste yucky, so I drink beer. But I so enjoy reading all the wine wooters comments.

That’s how I was once. Now I’m a fan of deep reds as much as I am a fan of porters and hoppy ales.

Unless you have taste for light beers, or buds, step out of your comfort zone and enjoy a glass here.

Of course one can always hope to see “beer woot” happen…

I thought the whole mustache thing was like so 5 years ago. Does that mean these wines are pre-aged?

How do you feel about cheese?

I had a chance to sample a bottle of the 2012 Mustache Vineyards Zinfandel recently. I should mention that Zinfandel has long been one of my favorite varietals, and I’ve particularly enjoyed some from Lodi, so I really had high hopes for this one. We poured a generous taste into our glasses, I took a look at the lovely deep red color in my glass, then gave it a sniff. I was a bit surprised by the red berry aromas, raspberries and strawberries, not what I generally associate with Zin. And there was a sort of Carneros-style funk, reminiscent of some of my favorite Pinots from that region. Again, not Zin-like. No noticeable heat, and nothing really objectionable here, it just didn’t seem like a Zinfandel. OK, time for a taste. More of the bright red berries immediately evident up front, soft tannins, not much of a finish. I poured some more, and let it sit in the glass for a while, still found the same fruit flavors, but more rounded out, and some darker fruits showing up. Smoother and more enjoyable after being opened for 20 or 30 minutes. I’m thinking this wine could benefit from some more time in the bottle, and maybe should have decanted it to let it open up. Curiously, I didn’t really notice the sweetness I would have expected from the residual sugar klezman noticed in the specs. Obviously, I can’t comment on the Cab or Merlot, but the Zinfandel would make a nice companion for a pizza or a bucket of chicken wings (I live in Buffalo, they’re chicken wings, not Buffalo wings.) and at this price point is a pretty nice deal for that. Just not my idea of what a Zinfandel should taste like.

Similar RS to Jekyll offer on the Plus side. Same wine company so I suspect they are targeting the Stella Rosa drinkers.

Is this like a 2nd label for H-G vineyards? (Or 3rd or 4th)

I know the owner or winemaker sports a pretty serious mustache.

The monkey included a bottle of the Mustache 2012 Merlot in the shipment that arrived just prior to our departure for Puerto Vallarta. So that one found a spot in our luggage as well.

When we arrived at our unit late in the afternoon after the long flight, we were in a mood to just sit on the veranda and relax with a glass of wine. Which we did, and we pulled the cork on Mustache merlot. No wine glasses in the unit.

I’ll start by saying that I’m not a big merlot drinker. I don’t dislike merlot; it’s just not a varietal that causes me to reach for it. Which is a roundabout way of saying that I probably can’t offer much in the way of how this might compare with other merlots.

What I will say is that the wine hit the spot at that moment. It had a decent nose – as I recall fruits and a bit of cedar or spice. In the mouth is was well-balanced and smooth – decent fruit presence dominated by red fruit with some of the darker undertones I associate with merlot, a bit of tannin, a bit of acidity. I did not detect any overt sweetness; and sweetness in a wine is generally something I am sensitive to. After the first glass, it was very easy to enjoy the second, and a third, and then suddenly it was gone!

In many ways, very similar to ddeuddeg’s comments above.

Well, I can’t tell you how glad I am to know your wine-buying habits.

Yesterday, ddeuddeg and I tasted the 2012 Mustache Vineyards Lodi Zinfandel. Upon opening, this wine provided a very fruity nose. It was a beautiful ruby color with nice clarity. Upon tasting, I was getting a lot of cherries, some stone fruit, maybe plums and also, some blueberries and a bit of sweetness and soft tannins. It didn’t have much of a finish and didn’t quite seem like a Lodi zin. There were a lot of flavors and then, they were gone quite quickly.

We had other plans for dinner that did not include a red wine and so we tasted this wine on its own. Then, we tried it with some cheese and crackers. We had some cheddar and some Beehive. I’m afraid that it did not pair well with these cheeses. All in all, I think this would be a good pizza wine.

You’ve been a woot member for 9+ years, and this is your first post. If this is the best you have to offer, all we can hope for is that it will be another 9 year wait for the next one.

I’m confused about this, too. The label says, “Vinted & Bottled by JACK JONES WINES,Lodi, California”. I cannot find this wine on the Mustache Vineyards website, but it is available on the H-G Vineyards website. :scratches head:

Mustache Vineyards does have its own website: www.mustachevineyards.com. We make many wines for a variety of companies and by law the winery who produces and bottles the wine has to make the sale. So whoever we work with who wants a web presence has to work with us when they want to sell the wine online. H-G Vineyards is our e-commerce site and we sell a few of the brands we help produce there. Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Try it, you will like it! It is very well balanced. :slight_smile:

Our winery makes a variety of brands in conjunction with other partners and organizations. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=gochar, post:4, topic:444061]
Dear Wine Idiots, like me

I don’t know squat about wine, and I don’t care. I’m busy. My job, my life… I don’t have time to care about the subtleties and nuances of wine. I don’t care if it has notes of blackberries or notes of pussy. I just want to drink something that gives me some momentary sense of pleasure. So, my strategy, is buy what’s on sale at Trader Joe’s or Costco. Let them decide what
's good 'cause I don’t have the time, and I buy it… at a discount… and go on with my life.

Sounds like a plan to me…how do you find the time to even go to Costco? I assume Costco and Traders is on the “my life” side of things.