My name/number on caller I.D.?

This is strange. My own name and phone number showed up on the caller I.D. at home. Earlier in the day I’d hung up on a telemarketer (sp?). Normally when it says out of area I don’t pick up, but I was expecting a call from out of town. Do you suppose he called me back later and tried to have the charges reversed?

They’re calling from inside the house! GET OUT OF THERE!

http://www.ilcancello.com/LOCANDINE%20E%20FILM/LOCANDINE/POSTER%20-%20WHEN%20A%20STRANGER%20CALLS.jpg

=P

Seriously, though, I have no idea. Hopefully my post had some comedic value, at least. :wink:

That was funny! The movie looks interesting, I’ll have to check it out. :slight_smile:

Aw, thanks! :slight_smile:

Hahah yes - as you can tell, it’s a pretty old movie. There’s another movie of the same name that was released in 06 - but I don’t know if it’s the same plot.

Maybe it was a glitch, did you pick up?

How this happens (based on my own experience as a tech support rep that takes phone calls):

Sometimes the callers (in this case the recipient since you’re being called, but in my field I’m actually being called by the person for support) line won’t completely hang up. Then, suddenly, it will ring in my ear like I’m getting a phone call. (Which is normally impossible because we don’t accept incoming calls) and then it will also ring on the other persons end and the person will say Hello? Hello? and I answered a guy one time (I usually just release them) and he said it showed up as himself on the Caller ID and I told him it was because his phone rang me back.

I’m not sure why it happens but you can get a similar effect by 3 way calling the same person. Just connect with them, then flash over, call them again (they have to have call waiting) and then connect with them again. Their other line will eventually drop the call, then flash over. It will ring on both ends.

Check out that old telephone. They don’t make 'em like that anymore.

Went over to check the caller I.D., and froze in my tracks when I saw who was calling. It rang four times, then the phone answering machine picked up. They did not leave a message. I was too startled to pick up the phone, although I did wave my hand around in circles a few times while trying to decide. :slight_smile:

This is a possibility. But the call was several hours later in the day, can it still happen that way?

It happened again! This time I picked up and heard lots of people talking in the background. A womans voice said “Thank you for your time”. I hung up and called the phone company. After going through voicemail hell, ended up talking to a guy who had heard all this before. He said it was people who were scammers. They have some way of getting your name/ number and making it show up on caller I.D. when they call you. Right now it is not illegal. He said just don’t answer the phone and talk to them. Wow! Glad to know that. :slight_smile:

Man this shit is crazy! what if it is an alternate dimension where you are calling yourself, but the info isn’t coming all the way through?

edit:NM now poeople are going to think I am a loon

Oh man, I was laughing my butt off at the widdle schnookie-pies comment! I see it replaces s h * t. You are very funny, but not in a loony way. :slight_smile: