Napoleon Mirage Grill - Your Choice

**Item: **Napoleon Mirage Grill - Your Choice
Price: $749.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

[Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Napoleon Mirage Grill - Your Choice)

[Search Google](https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=Napoleon Mirage Grill - Your Choice)

Get cooking with some good reviews on the Propane Version

Be a friend to yourself. Buy a Weber. This thing we be converted into beer cans while the Webers keep chugging along. Part forever. Great build quality. Outstanding customer service. I’m done with no-name grills.

Way out of my budget but certainly nice looking grills.

Chump change. I’m in for three!

These grills appear to have burner lines that run from the front of the grill vertically to the back, rather than horizontally from side to side. This is a pretty bad design flaw and should be avoided.

Why, you ask? Because it puts the very hot flame close to the plastic knob that controls the temperature. Over time, this will cause some melting of the back of that plastic knob. Plastic activators/controllers that are far away from the heat - as they are on most horizontal ones - are simply better for that sole reason.

I am fresh out of chump change so please send me one of your three :slight_smile:

Considering this is 174 pounds and I live in a second floor apartment, I think my postal carrier will be grateful that I passed on this.

Some reviews on the Natural Gas model (as well as an in depth overview)

What are you talking about! I have owned a few bar b Cues in the last 25 years, all have had burners going vertically (that is from front to back) versus horizontally side to side. I have never had the issue of the knobs getting so hot you can’t touch them. If you have - then you have had some pretty cheap (and I do mean cheap as in setting a new standard for low quality) grills. The main reason for having vertical burners is so you can have more control with indirect heating. We use our bar b cue at least twice a week and most of the time I take advantage of indirect cooking.

Mixed reviews here. It seems that Napoleon’s nitch are the folks who want to and willing to spend more than a few hundred dollars on a gril but can’t afford the high end models that begin at around $2,500.00 give or take. To be fair I am not sure how many of the lower priced grills offer Infrared so when you put that into the equation these grills might very well be reasonably priced and given how much Woot has seem to discount them, the ones offered here might be a great bargain.

From: http://www.amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/understand_stainless_steel.html

*"The most significant problem with cheap grills is they often use very thin stainless. These lightweight machines are pretty and shiny on the showroom floor but vulnerable to the demands of grilling. They can quickly develop minute stress fractures that lead to corrosion and reduced performance.

Here are some common gauges of steel used in making grills.

10 gauge = 0.1345" thick
12 = 0.1046
14 = 0.0747
16 = 0.0598
18 = 0.0478"*

304 stainless is the good stuff, but I’m not seeing the gauge of the stainless steel these are made of, or if lids are thicker than the body … pretty critical to any decision here.

[Lids are double lined roll top for oven like heat retention. No worry there for quality.

I’m not sure if “No worry there” is a quantifiable statement.
I would think no matter the thickness the lids would almost have to be double walled or the heat would discolor the single layer on the first grilling, although I am no metallurgist and that is just an opinion. What is not an opinion is a double layer of paper-thin steel will collapse under a resting hand about as easily as a single sheet. I can find no hard info on the thickness, other than in the higher-end Prestige grill from the same company, the actual burners are 16 gauge, implying the body and lid gauge are thinner, which if true would mean the higher-end grills above this model line from this company are on the thinnest end of common use at best.

I have a Napoleon built in model.
Amazing grill - cooks more evenly than my old Weber Genesis and build quality is much higher as well.

The only nit I have is the casing around the temp meter on the lid must have had a cheap metallic paint, as it flaked off after one winter. It should be a small issue, but I found it extremely annoying for a grill I spent almost $2,000 on had such a low quality feature.

Other than that, I do recommend this line of grills. The infrared is a nice touch, the built in light helps in the fall months when cooking dinner is done at dusk, and the available rotisserie is nice for chicken. Really event heat and solid build.

Any idea where these are made? We’re trying to buy USA made products (tough to do, I know).

That grill be stolen off my patio in less than three weeks. Damn scrappers

Maybe I could get one in a BOC

The Napoleon M730RSBIPSS-1 Mirage Propane Gas Grill with Infrared Rear and Side Burner gets great reviews at the mother ship: http://www.amazon.com/Napoleon-M730RSBIPSS-1-Mirage-Propane-Infrared/product-reviews/B001OQR5UC/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

With a few exceptions, the comments at the link are fairly negative…ouch. One commenter asserts there are two levels of Napoleon’s in terms of quality: those made in Canada are the good ones, those made in China are the poor ones. Hmmm…

I second cdmtoday’s comment: go with a Weber.

I wept (inside) the day my ex- “surprised” me by tossing that “ugly grill” (my worn looking but wonderful Weber) and replaced it with a “pretty” stainless Amana from Target… what garbage that grill was.