Navigon N100 Pocket Loox Portable GPS

I have seen it go for like $100 so many times, … so good price… but not woot special…

yes

Navigon is made by Siemens-Fujitsu and it actually a pretty decent GPS. Not the fastest and the maps are from 2005, but for the size, it gets the job done quite well. Using while driving is difficult, with the small screen though. I recommend it. Also, Navigon said they were releasing new maps later this month, so you might be able to update them.

Froogled for anyone interested.

Oops. Scratch that, someone else beat me to it.

What in tarnation is the Woot Wage? ( I just finished looking at yesterdays laptop)

My dad just bought one for me the other day.
For the price, I’d say it’s okay.
It’s basically a 300 mhz windows ce device running GPS software.
has games, music and movie player, voice command.

entering addresses in is a small annoyance because of the tiny screen.
once it’s done though, navigation is pretty quick

TigerDirect opinions

TigerDirect Sunset

Mainly 5 stars

Yes it does have voice guide

I own this - got it for $99 from Tigerdirect. For $109 it is OK - I am spoiled by my Garmin Nuvi 660. The screen is tiny and reflections are very bad at times. The bracket shakes too much on the windshield. It is a bit slow on calculating, but seems no less accurate than the expensive units. It does have a cool voice command - enter your parents’ home address, record your voice saying “Mom and Dad”. When you do voice nav, say “Mom an Dad” and it’ll pull up the address. It works somewhat in a noisy convertible (with the top down), but just perfect in a closed coupe or sedan. Software was pre-installed, but the docs said it was not - very confusing. Not bad for $109.
One more thing - you must use a stylus - that really sucks, but hey, it’s $109 - did I say that enough? :wink:

one of my friends got a refurbished one from buy.com for $100. It takes time to start. maps are also not updated I feel. It is good for basic use.

I own a Megellan 2000 series GPS. The interface is better than that, but usage wise I feel that Megellan is better.

Pretty serious review here.

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2007/06/navigon_pocket_loox_n100_indep.php?page=1

Yah, they ripped all the ones up around me and moved them last week.

Can it play video? It looks like there may be a video icon on it, and it would be awesome to have a pocket GPS video player.

I don’t care who you are, that’s funny right there!

nice don’t have one…
in4one

No bluetooth connectivity? No go, thanks though Woot.

I bought one new for $100 and I love it. It takes a second to find the signal, but then it gives detailed directions. It has a nice graphical interface and the touch screen and stylus work great. There are two games, one is Pac Man. You can view photos and use the GPS as an MP3 player. It comes with a 1gig miniSD card too, so you can upgrade at anytime.
I highly recommend this GPS because of price and quality.

Link to User Manual:

From GPS Magazine review:

1. Conclusion

I had hoped the Pocket LOOX would become the GPS I travel with - it’s good loox (sorry, I couldn’t help it) and small size would have made it ideal for bringing it with me on trips and carrying it around in my pocket. Plus, the mp3 player, video player, and video games would have made it an even better travel companion.

Fujitsu Siemens Pocket LOOX N100

Unfortunately, the Fujitsu Siemens Pocket LOOX N100 (seriosuly, not only is this the least catchy product name ever, but the unit I reviewed actually included a legal requirement that I refer to the product by it’s full, un-marketing firendly, name in this review) is ruined by poor performance and its unpolished user interface.

The single biggest problem with the Pocket LOOX is the overall slowness of the unit. Using this frustratingly sluggish GPS for any length of time is an exercise in patience. For example, it takes a full minute for the navigation application to load. Entering text is so slow that you constantly double-hit letters because your not sure if the unit registered the first tap. It’s not that any one aspect of using the Pocket LOOX is slow – it’s that EVERY aspect of the Pocket LOOX is slow, from navigating menus to redrawing maps. Performance is so poor that the Pocket LOOX is almost unusable.

Then there’s the size issue - the Pocket LOOX has a small screen, so it’s all the more essential that software engineers make intelligent use of the screen. Instead, it feels like Navigon’s software was designed for larger display GPS devices and simply transferred onto the palm-sized Pocket LOOX without any adjustments. The small text is unreadable from the drivers seat (and almost unreadable even at arms length), and the menus feel cluttered. The on-screen keyboard is much too small, and almost impossible to use with normal sized fingers. The screen is also highly reflective, making it difficult to see in many situations.

I also had difficulty entering in addresses. Frequently the Pocket LOOX would be unable to find an address until I found an alternate input method, such as entering the street name first, or using a zip code or cross street. Browsing through street names is tedious as you have to scroll one line at a time and wait for the small text box to scroll for each line before you can see the entire street name (assuming you can find the destination street at all). Pocket LOOX ships with NAVTEQ mapping data, but was unable to find addresses or POIs that other NAVTEQ-powered GPS devices find without issue.

Pocket LOOX does manage to squeeze in some innovative features, such as Brand Icons, displaying highway road signs, speed limit notification, and many vehicle profile options (there’s even a “scenic route” profile). However, overall the Pocket LOOX is too slow, too complicated, and the text layout is too small. Given the relatively high $500 price tag, I also felt the Pocket LOOX should have included Bluetooth and Text-to-Speech. Oh, and did I mention it was slow?

Thank you