NavTour NT-147 Portable GPS System

1. needs external antennae
  2. no mapdates ever
  3. end of life EOL products
  4. if it was slighly cheaper I would get one for my son’s big wheel
  5. me not want

I have a really old Garmin b/w unit that’s more designed for hiking. It has street maps and such, though. It’s enough to get me by, but I’m really looking to upgrade to a nice newer one.

I’ve seen so many different brands out there, but I’m kind of stuck on the idea of a Garmin or Magellan one.

I love my Sony U83T with 4.8" screen

I bought the older version of this same system on a previous Woot. It works as well as can be expected for a non-name brand GPS system. Mine came with a generic (poor quality) 1GB SD card, so this appears to be a better deal as it looks like this has a 2GB SD card. (I say poor quality, as the card died a few months after I got it.) It does pronounce the street names. I was surprised that it did this as it did not say it would do this on the box. Other than that, complaints I remember mainly had to to with the external antenna connector breaking. The flexible attached antenna is nice however, because you can aim it, and it seems to work fine. Overall, not a bad price. By the way, it looks exactly like a PDA turned on its side. The older version runs on Win CE .NET 4.2 core, if anyone wants to know. This updated version MAY run on the new Win CE .NET 5. But I am unsure.

It is pretty basic. Here is a shot from mine:

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/2167/clipboard01gl7.jpg

I have the FineDrive 350 and it looks exactly the same. I’ll assume it’s the same device. I can’t find any map updates for it. It’s does what it needs to do. I was taking a trip through Missouri, and the highway had been re-routed. The out of date map showed that I was driving in the dirt. It sure does take a long time to latch onto satellites, and it loses signal sometimes. Go for name brand!!!

Oh no. Magellan is based in California. [CS in India] After the recent buyout they just don’t care about customers. They USED to be top notch. Now they make decent products, just hope you don’t need help. You wont get it.

For every 1 good story i hear about Magellan i hear 10 bad ones. Actually i never, ever heard a good story. It was just a non-negative statement. This is all new Magellan. Not the old stuff when they actually cared about the customers.

Why does it come with a Home Power Adapter? I thought the whole point of a GPS is to take it with you.

Mobile homes of course.

I haven’t researched it, but some units have the capability to recharge the batteries when plugged in. Many GPS units are used outside of vehicles where there is no power source except batteries.

NO FUTURE SOFTWARE UPDATES

Visit NavTour Site!

Your best bet is to trust complete strangers who give you advice on the internet. Having thus securely established my bona fides, let me assure you that this is the best GPS unit ever made! It has this, like, secret mode that will actually TELEPORT you to your destination.

This is not a problem, brother, ‘cause we is in the End Times and the road to H-E-double hockey sticks is wide and straight, requirin’ no fancy GPS unit to git ya there! Nope, old Nick hisself has got his hands firmly on yer steerin’ wheel!

I am looking for a GPS to carry with me for when I move to Korea. Do any of you smart people have any suggestions with how I can accomplish this cheaply and easily? Thanks.

My friend bought this @ last woot it was on, no support no updates for maps and it takes forever to get a signal.

At least the description was worth it…

Read the newegg reviews for this thing, before you buy this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16858718001

People dont seem too pleased by this!

It depends on what you want the GPS to do. If you just need one that records and directs you to coordinates, then most any would do.

Maps and other features are always more money.

3 stars amazon.com review
http://www.amazon.com/Navtour-NT-147-Portable-Navigation-3-5-Inch/dp/B000WEJVJK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1203232056&sr=8-1

=========below is a copy of review ==========
Not user friendly, January 25, 2008
By Joe Molano (Birmingham, AL USA) - See all my reviews

I bought this product about three weeks ago. At first it did not show the full USA map, only Canada and north US. I called tech support and they helped me reset it (it took several tries). It works best with the external antenna, and it picks up the satellite signal really well even in inclement weather. The user manual in badly written, as there are no instructions on how to load music or pictures and it also does not tell you what the functions of the “buttons” are. I’m having a problem with the electrical charger at home, but works well in the car. The audio in the unit is so low, that you have to shut off the radio, and close the windows if you want to hear anything, works a lot better with the external ear piece. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it an 7.5 for performace and a 3 for user friendly.

I just want to be able to get places and see directions in english… my friend in korea had a garmin and couldnt get korean maps.