Neat Receipts v4.0 Document Management System with Scanner

Meh, I want a scanner that scans barcodes and prints receipts, I could have a lot more fun with that. Organizing receipts for taxes and tracking finances is so boring…

Some reviews… you make up your own mind :-/

How about some VIDEO reviews…for you lazy asses who don’t like to read :slight_smile:

why would you need a portable scanner for receipts? I have no idea when this would be useful. What is the obsession with portability?

Business trips/expense reports would come to mind. Someone that travels a lot and needs to be able to report in on the go.

Never mind…once the product website loaded, I got my answer.

The PDFs are text searchable. Sweet! In for one.

Obviously you have never traveled for a living or filed an expense report.

The idea is that you want to hold on to a physical receipt or business card for as little time as possible.

If you go on a trip, or even if you just go to work, you can take this with you. You can scan the stuff on the spot and then throw it away. Rather than stuffing it a folder or something and then trying to remember to do it when you get home.

I have been interested in getting one of these but this Woot ain’t stellar enough. They had this on Sellout May of 09 for the same price.

Neat doesn’t have a long enough track record to trust paying this price for a refurb with only a 90 day warranty, it has moving parts so unless you don’t mind a disposable unit…yack.

Ooooh! I really love mine. I got one the last time it was here and it makes a huge difference in all my receipts. I actually feel like I might be semi-organized for tax season.

This would be for people who are on-the-go a lot. For instance, if you are a business person who spends most of your time traveling in your car or traveling on a plane or spend a lot of your time in hotels, then this is ideal.

You don’t have to organize receipts and wait until you are sitting behind a computer with a scanner attached to download a batch of receipts. You can just scan those receipts as you acquire them.

Also, if your only receipts are underwear purchases at Walmart or simple grocery receipts, you probably don’t need to bother with this.

However, if you have a Flexible Spending Account as a part of your healthcare package, being able to scan receipts which contain items which are reimbursable (such as medicines, pain relievers, etc…), then this is nearly a must-have.

I’ve lusted after this for a few years now. Too bad I cannot afford this today, I’d take it in a heartbeat. I will eventually get one, though, the price keeps coming down.

In for one, at least in spirit.

BTW, I forgot to mention I take this on business trips with me and scan in the receipts before I lose them. Neat Receipts is simply awesome.

You have gotta love this guy’s catchphrase…another video review…

He offers you a money back guarantee…for what thats worth.

I have a refurb from here, this is a great working product, until I upgraded to Windows 7 and the previous version won’t work. They do not provide a patch and are charging everyone 30 dollars to upgrade. Keep this in mind if they do it again.
So I have a scanner I cannot use unless I give them another 30 dollars.
Horrible company, great product.

Have you tried running it in a virtual XP box?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

I was waiting for this woot for about 2 months now. The only problem is I already bought this on Amazon for $176.44.

Enough of the bad,

This thing is AWESOME! The real value is the software that comes with it. It has a really comprehensive interface and is really user friendly. One downside to this product is the way the receipt sometimes gets its corner stuck on the scanner and it scans kind of weird. You can easily fix this issue by scanning it about a cm off the edge.

If it’s “NOT FOR MAC” and “PC ONLY”, how come I am using one with my iMac and iBook every day for the past year and a half running MacOS 10.5.7??

Doesn’t that use an extra gig alone? Besides, I loaded my software and the scanner would not even make it past calibration mode.
A few e-mails from their company resolved my case telling me I had to pay for the new software due to developer costs.
I understand that part, but come on, how about a patch for the people who already own one?
I’m not asking for extra special fluffy features.

I have this exact scanner, bought on Woot a few months ago as a refurb. It works fine in Windows 7. I just used it a few hours ago to scan some receipts to send to my accountant. I’ve used it on Vista 64 and Windows 7 64 and 32, all with no issues. I’m using the software and driver that came on the disk with the unit (4.0 SP3A). I usually ignore included disks, as there is usually a newer version on the site. When I couldn’t find one that would work, I popped in the disk and away it went.