NeatDesk Desktop Scanner and Digital Filing System

Wootalyzer’s Pricing Post! - The price of today’s woot item is saved here for future reference

NeatDesk Desktop Scanner and Digital Filing System
$249.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

DISCLAIMER Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

I have the smaller and limited NeatReceipts model (from Woot) and can tell that the software that comes with it is actually pretty good at OCR-ing faded receipts.

Amazon

Do most stores accept scanned receipts for returns or would you still have to keep the hard copies?

A Previous Woot!

I also have the small one and it has been great for getting me organized. This one has often intrigued me because the infomercial makes it look like you can just load it up with receipts and it takes them as easily as a copier takes regular paper…AND I DON’T BELIEVE IT!!!

Anyone know?

My filing system involves a shredder and a waste basket.

If they are barcoded, they will accept a scanned copy that you print out. Don’t know about the others. My guess is they will.

I have the portable version and it’s pretty awesome for organizing receipts for expense reports when traveling on business. The desktop one looks pretty good for stationary use. If you can just drop them in and have them feed through, that would be very cool. The receipt organization software is very intuitive and easy to use.

I recommend going toward a paperless lifestyle. It has been a long road, but putting things into services that do text recognition is amazing.

These are for PC ONLY.

Mac versions are online here: http://store.neatco.com/index/page/product/product_id/107/product_name/NeatDesk+for+Mac

$250…and it’s just a scanner? No print, no fax? lol…fax. Anyway, my scanner has almost identical specs and is a printer and a fax machine as well. It was $40. You can get a new Epson 835 with better specs than my Epson 323 and better specs than the NeatDesk for $170.

I have nothing against NeatDesk, I just don’t see the point of a standalone scanner.

Any evernote users out there? or anyone with experience with these scanner?

I’m looking to use this just to scan into an evernote notebook.

currently i’m doing it with an all-in-on scanner to an eye-fi card which drops into an imported evernote directory. works well, but the all-in-one is slow.

I see this has no SD slot, so i’d be tethering a laptop to it. – meh…

anyone know if it can just drop PNG/JPGs or whatever to some directory without using the neatdesk stuff (which amazon reviews show as lacking)

anyway, sorry for the jumbled sentences… it’s late over here : )

Why have you forsaken me woot :frowning: I Was hoping for the smaller receipt scanner! That is what I have been waiting for… for months! Since I missed the last one q.q

Maximum Scan Area 8.5"x11" (up to 30" long)

???

What’s the 11" if it’s not length? thickness?

This thing doesn’t look like it can scan something 8.5" wide, 11" thick and 30" long. :slight_smile:

Robert

I’ve got the smaller one, and I find the software kind of klutzy and slow. It partially fills in data for receipts, but nothing for documents (bills & such).

The only advantage I see is not having to keep paper files. Other than that, I’m still getting farther behind every day.

I have the Scansnap version - bought in 2002 for the same price. It was invaluable for home scanning of hundreds of medical records. It has a roller system that takes anything from a receipt to a legal sized sheet. And you can put stacks of paper in to feed through.

It seems the price should be much lower for a similar item almost ten years later.

Well, it does say it’s using patented technology. The speed/simplicity of using this stems from this patented technology I’m guessing.
Patents can last decades. For medicine I think it’s 15 years. Not sure about things like this, probably 14-20 years.
That could mean there isn’t much competition for mid-range scanning with high efficiency , and they could keep the price high.

Anyway, $250 in 2011 is a bit “lower” in cost (real cost) when you factor in inflation.

The next step up from this is the higher priced Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 and Xerox DocuMate (which includes more bundled software including PaperPort)

PC Magazine reviewed this product and gave it 3.5 outta 5, while users rated lower. On Amazon it has a 3.1/5 rating, and sells for a lot more than here.

Pros: It works well with papers of various sizes and thickness, has a straight feed as opposed to many AIOs with a curved ADF, and supports up to 50 pages.

Cons: The bundled software is good at creating PFs abut limited in seacrhing and filing (I prefer using PaperPort. YMMV).