NeatDesk Desktop Scanner and Digital Filing System

I use these at work and they are definitely reliable when it comes to the common office equipment. The printers/fax machines will break before this will…

However if you are just doing small stuff (taxes for example and home use), you are better getting off a portable one like:

http://www.woot.com/blog/viewentry.aspx?id=14024

Cheaper and all you really need for the home

Any teachers give this a test drive for filing lesson plans/graphic organizers/papers etc.?

That’s an expensive scanner. Just pick up an older scanner for @20 and then get some OCR software …

Best Document scanner hands down is the Fujitsu Scansnap S1500 and S1500M(Mac ver).

Ask anyone who has one and they will tell you they love it. It comes with real good OCR software, Organizer software for your scans. It auto aligns crooked feeds, full two-sided scanning on a single pass. You can feed it all different size papers at once and it just cranks out the scans. Plus it is extremely fast.

Plus it comes with a full version of Adobe Acrobat 9.0, which I believe is about $125 for just the Adobe Acrobat.

Now to be fair, I haven’t tried the NeatDesk, but why would I. I got the Scansnap from the Egg for about $349. Amazon has a pretty good price on it as well.

Is the software the only difference? I just ordered the Mac version from neatdesk and I was thinking of copping this one and return the other one. Any thoughts?

I’ve been looking for the portable neat receipt. Does the desktop version have the same software for scanning receipts?

gary

I thought that scanning documents and online statements would end my hording of paper. Now I still horde but everything is tidy on the computer. At least I can see the floor and my desk top!

froogled realizing this is refurbished.

Not much to add. Personal experience with portable version has been pretty good overall, faded receipts are inconsistent (no surprise), classification of receipts isn’t perfect but good with software, and if comparable, handled wrinkled receipts pretty well. I’m satisfied with the portable one.

Anybody know if you can scan multiple pictures quickly/easily with this vs one by one with a regular scanner? Would they be high-quality JPEG files?

My boss (a newspaper editor) LOVES his, and says it is the best gadget he has every owned. I see him used it constantly.

How many pages would this scan at a time? I have been looking to scan some of my paperbacks for use on my kindle. Not sure what scanner would do this as a complete deal.

Every time I see this for sale, I hope it is the MAC version. Show me some love Woot… I would love to buy this for the MAC!!!

I only setup 3 check scanners for different banks, but all of them required TWAIN drivers, this model does not support TWAIN.

So my guess is ‘probably not’

You are missing the point. This is a cheap scanner with expensive software. You are paying mostly for the software, not the hardware. It look tempting, but I am not sure how good the software is.

Uhhhh… yes $250 is a good price for a good, fast scanner. Look at similar models made by Kodak and Epson and you will find they easily run $400 and up. This scanner scans duplex and at a ppm that your little Epson all-in-one can only dream about. Also, try scanning hundreds of pages over the course of a few weeks with your scanner and then tell us how many times you had to remove a jam. This scanner will eat any all-in-one for lunch.

I have the mobile version already, but am in for this one too.

Good Job Woot. Try to sell all of Amazon’s crap that they couldn’t on their site. Woot SUX!

I will be interested in this when they come out with a variable sheet feeder. Now it has only fixed feeder sizes for certain sized documents.

Anyone know if you can scan in a copy of an insurance card in the business card slot?

I purchased the mobile version from Woot a couple of years ago, and never use it. My biggest complaint (maybe they’ve fixed this) is that while it does have the ability to recognize receipts and docs from some stores, there’s no ability to customize it. For example, if you regularly receive invoices from a certain vendor, you can’t tell it where on the page to extract the date, invoice #, etc; you just get a PDF of the whole page. I was hoping for something that could create file names based on, for example, the invoice #.

I haven’t done that yet, but I’m sure you can. I have scanned many business cards with no problem.