NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Cable Modem Router

NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Cable Modem Router

FYI This is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. It will NOT work with Xfinity and similar gigabit services. Those require DOCSIS 3.1.

DOCSIS 3.0 cannot be provisioned for Gigabit Internet service.

NETGEAR has a 3.1 Docsis CM1000 modem for around 189.00 or lower.

FYI to save you headache.

1 Like

Thanks, Kicoman. I was just about to order one to replace my rented Xfinity modem/router. I don’t think I have Gigabit Internet service, though. I’ve never upgraded from the lowest-cost package. I’m going to do some more research before I expose myself to a possible headache.

1 Like

Not to tell you what you need but if you don’t know anything about gigabit service or your current speed this modem will be more than sufficient for the next 5 plus years. It’s more than adequate for 99 percent of current households and will be adequate for 90 percent of them in 5 years. Not saying that you shouldn’t get a 3.1 if you can find one for a similar price but don’t avoid it simply because it uses the 3.0 protocol. You’ll be saving money in 18 months.

Any concerns with this being refurbished? Xfinity wants $13/month for modem rental.

Check with your ISP. Rather than only rent, they might outright sell you a modem at a pretty decent price. That’s what I did recently and got a DOCSIS 3.1 32x8 modem for $89. I already had a good wi-fi router.

1 Like

Was it Xfinity or a different company? When I asked Xfinity they simply sent me a page to compatible modems. :confused:

Nope. It’s Suddenlink, but I figured it might worth a shot. I went to one of the Suddenlink customer centers directly instead of a phone call.

Thanks, idontkn1. What you said is what I was hoping, but I figured I should do the due diligence before I make the purchase. Hope to order later today if they haven’t sold out and I’ve been able to double-check on my service.