NETGEAR Nighthawk AX8 Router

NETGEAR Nighthawk AX8 Router

I used to have a Nighthawk R7000 until one day i counted up how many devices i had logged in and it was >40, i had no idea that was the cause of my lag, this has truly made a huge difference to my home network, i should not have waited so long, great buy.

I hope this isn’t a silly question but tech really isn’t my strong suit. I’m looking for a “WiFi extender” i have so many dead zones in my house it’s driving me crazy. Would this solve my problem? Thanks in advance for your help

while this does have great coverage this is not a wifi extender, just a wifi router.

Thanks! Maybe on day I can figure this out

Well I still love the router but… I did just have a power outage and a 30 minute power outage caused it to lose all its settings so I guess the lithium battery is a dud.
Not such a good deal after all
And the serial number of the device I received is still locked into another Netgear account so I can not register the product with Netgear for support either!

Probably not, at least by itself. This is more about relieving rampant buffering in streaming media than punching into dead zones. A range extender is probably your best bet, though a power-line pair might be needed, depending on your home’s structure. A cheap range extender can be made by snagging an old wireless router at Goodwill or similar, and putting it in “bridge” mode. If that connects but proves too slow, you can always replace it with a modern extender.

@tmarkyelliott so does your router work at all? Did you return it?

Hello,
i kept it, it is a great router, it did reset once and lost its settings but i connected it to a UPS now and it works great when the number of items connected tops 50 which my R7000 did not do well.

So… I’ll admit this dies less than my router now that I have it. That’s about the only good thing I can say about it.

1. You have to download an app to manage it the first time.
  2. There is no way to configure DHCP with a separate DNS for clients versus the router itself (i.e. router has public DNS, internally you serve your own? Not with this bad boy! No features for that.)
  3. The “Guest” network also has no separate DHCP configuration options, meaning if you run into the issue that I did in Point #2 above, and you disabled DHCP on the router, your only option is to create an internal DHCP server and allow access from the Guest network to it internally to serve addresses.
    3a) Also, there is no firewall rule set between the Guest and internal network, they either have full access, or no access.

In short, this router is stable, it’s good if you have a simple network. If you have any basic needs like multi-zone DHCP that you’d expect a multi-network router to handle… you are shit outta luck and should buy something else.

For this price (even the refurb price), the fact that Netgear still can’t get this right after all these years is truly disheartening.