NETGEAR Orbi Home Mesh WiFi System

NETGEAR Orbi Home Mesh WiFi System

Bought this a few weeks ago. System comes with dual 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, but they are not separated. If you have smart devices which only use 2.4GHz, you’ll need to separate the bands in order for your phone/tablet to recognize them. This video showed me how to do it.

1 Like

I bought these when they had them a month ago and they came in non-retail packaging but otherwise looked to be truly mint condition. As the other commenter mentioned, if you have any devices that cannot use the 5GHz band, it will not automatically connect to the 2.4GHz band. It requires going into the management page from a browser (cannot change from phone apps), when you’re connected to the device via wifi, from a laptop, go to http://orbilogin.com in a browser and it will load the management page of the Orbi. Once you get logged in, click on the Advanced tab then go to the Advanced Setup section on the left menu then click on Wireless Settings. In this page, at the top are settings for 2.4GHz and below that are the settings you can change for 5GHz.

For my specific problem, my Nest devices could not connect only for the initial setup on 5GHz only. I wasted a lot of time on this before finding the above settings and unchecking the “Enable SSID Broadcast” option for the 5GHz settings and applying it.
Once I did that, I could get my two Nest Protects and Nest Thermostat to finally connect to my new Orbi network. Once they were connected, I went back and re-enabled the 5GHz option and they work without issue. Based on what I found on Nest forums, its only the initial setup that is restricted to only 2.4GHz for some weird reason and once you’re connected, it can use 5GHz without issue. Hopefully this saves someone the hours I wasted. This is a truly great product, its just this one area that can become more complicated than the average non-technical person might be able to handle and caused this technical person some wasted time initially.

1 Like

Excellent comments and help from both reviewers…thank you!

Is this weatherproof?

What’s the return policy on this?

I purchased the three piece Orbi package @ Costco about a year ago. Excellent coverage, sufficient for the 19 devices I have connected to my network. Works extremely well with my fiber connection (500 MB down, 100 MB up). Would highly recommend this system.

I also bought this a few weeks ago and did not have the same experience. I have 42 connected devices, both the 2.4GHz and the 5Ghz band, including a Nest thermostat. I am not sure why, but the Orbi found them seamlessly without any modifications to the Orbi settings. Works great! Considering getting another one just for the satellite ( it is much cheaper than any price I could find on satellite alone ) and selling the router.

1 Like

I bought a pair of these new from Amazon. I love the coverage and the simple elegant design. I get right about 300Mbps download speed from my Netgear router and my two Orbis provide about 295Mps download thoughout the house.

Highly recommend the smartphone app as it is easier to install updates and to manage the devices.

This vs Google Wifi ? What would you suggest ?

I just set mine up. They work great, but I’m a bit disappointed that if you bought two packs of them (each containing one router and one satellite), you can’t use the second router as a satellite. From reading online, it looks like you can turn it into an access point (with its own subnet) and that will probably meet my needs, but it would have been nice if it was all one mesh network.

I have a pretty spread out house and the modem is all the way in one corner of it. I have the router unit there. Then, directly above it is the master bedroom and I have a satellite unit there. The other satellite unit is in an upstairs bedroom (converted into an office) on the far end of the house. There is a desktop computer there and it gets outstanding internet speeds. My other router is going to be setup in a detached garage / storage area where I have a workspace.