Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router Bundle

I have this router and it works great. I wonder if the problems were from people that had version 1 and not v2. I have not tested it with multiple wireless devices, but for the 1 wired desktop and the wireless notebook it has worked great. My house is small (1000 sq feet) but it has worked great in all locations, even out in the yard.

My comment seems to have vanished (or was modded away). Is anyone else still seeing the Yahoo Shopping page showing the (Sold Out) Acer 24" monitor? I still see that, even after a refresh.

From my experience, Yahoo delays updating their page for 15 minutes. This is a nightly issue I see with the Yahoo page. You would think they would be on top of that but I guess there too busy trying to fight off Microsoft on what seems to soon be a hostile takeover.

It all becomes clear. Thanks!

Eh, I think they just laid off most of the team that does page updates. (Dilbert has been about a day behind since the day they told the people being laidoff that they were gone…)

I bought this from somewhere else a while back. I had it for about five months and it worked great. However, then it would start to get a bit hot and make a very odd high-pitched noise. At first it would only happen when I had two LAN wires running into it… then after a while it just happened all the time.

Dunno if that happens for everyone or not. I just put it in my closet. Might be great if you want to put it in a closet or something so that if you get the noise it won’t bother you.

YAY! i have absolutely no need for this… NEXT! :stuck_out_tongue:

Like many others I got this router from Woot a while ago. Mine works fine – no rebooting, overheating, or trouble with multiple connections. Clearly ymmv. I experiment quit a bit with different network arrangements and the router was flexible enough to handle most of them. It does not have the ability to bridge which would have been nice, but it doesn’t claim to do that it does that.

You can make any router bridge. You just have to have the right cable and you cannot use the WAM port. It has to be one of the regular 1 through 4 ports. Some routers are autosensing but if not, a handy trusty crossover Lan cable will do the trick. Try it out. It would probably help you to look up instructions on how to do it first or have mediocre knowledge of networking.

Yet another beautiful description.

I have owned and used this same setup (router and USB adapter) for over a year. Never had any problems - connection never drops, it doesn’t overheat, and it was very easy to set up. The range is great, and I frequently sit on my deck and surf the net with no drop in speed. In fact, I am using it right this minute. Couldn’t be happier with it.

Get a D-Link…works great & reliable! My laptops in the house feels like a high speed desktop.

I think by bridge he meant wireless bridge, not wired. What you are talking about is hooking up a switch to another switch.

Not all wireless access points can be set to bridge mode. I have the older version of this access point and it IS possible to put it into bridge mode. You need some software released by netgear to enable telnet and then you gain access to the internal router commands. Not sure of the 824 will do that though. Might be worth a try. Search for “WGT624 bridge” on google and you should find everything you need.

I am another that got one of these routers a while back in a wootoff and I hate it. It’s slow and the wireless part is pretty much useless. I hav 4 wireless devices (DEll laptop, Macook Pro, Wii and Nintendo DS) and they all have trouble connecting to it (even from 2 feet away), and suffer terrible latency when it does connect. Wired it works OK, but thats about it. Also the MIMO crap, aside from giving you a light show with the LED’s flashing all over, didnt do jack for my range. It was meant to replace a older Linksys, but even with Tomato firmware, the Linksys is leaps and bounds better behaved.

BAD WOOT.

I will never buy a netgear anything ever again. I got a router like this from woot a while back and it died in three weeks. Luckily I got a refund, but I spend several hours trying to troubleshoot the issue. Somehow I later got tricked into buying a netgear wireless-n card, after buying a wireless-n router. The card actually worked worse than my internal wireless. And the drivers for their wireless adapters seem to take over the system. In order to abandon the card and use my internal wireless, I finally found a sequence that would yield stable results: remove the card, system restore before installation, insert the card, install the drivers, remove the card, reboot, leave the driver on. IT friends of mine say that they avoid netgear at all costs, because it’s usually a waste of time and money and clogs up their systems. Go with a Linksys.

Stay away from Neatgear … There offshore tech support sucks…

netgear has given me problems always. i would stay away

Netgear? Man are they junk. Run away, run away fast!

May make a decent door stop though. Nah, it would fail at that as well.

I have always had the opposite feeling about netgear. I may just have to pick one of these up.

That’s funny I bought the same router refurbished from buy.com for 29.00 plugged it in set up in minutes approximate 1 year ago never had to reboot it ever nothing ever not even a glitch… I guess you may have gotten a lemon. I have a linksys Lan Drive Hub nothing but trouble to set it up…