Netgear USB WiFi Adapter

Netgear USB WiFi Adapter

No Mac support, FYI. At least I wasn’t able to get it to work.

Works well on Windows and Ubuntu.

This works with Macs and has much greater range. Up to 3 city blocks unobstructed. Though more than 2.4x as expensive. 4.5 stars on Amazon. Reputable antenna brand. Taiwanese company. Hope this helps someone.

1 Like

I have a smart TV and I want to extend the signal from the smart TV to the router hub Which is less than 500 ft.² away from the room where the TV is situated. Can I plug in this adapter in the USB port of the smart TV to extend the range? If this is not a good idea what would be a new low to medium cost alternative to extend the range to the smart TV. My main issue is buffering.

USB ports on TVs are generally for viewing videos, playing music, or maintenance.

It wouldn’t have a software driver to use this as a Wi-Fi adapter.

Look for a Wi-Fi extender or move to a mesh system.

1 Like

If your home isn’t that big, you might just need a more powerful router. I had a cheap one (thanks, Woot!), but it couldn’t keep up with the number of devices in my family, especially at a distance. I got a much better one (thanks, Woot!), and no more dropouts throughout my medium sized apartment.

If your TV is far from your router, try a mesh network like @ThunderThighs suggested. Or if your home is wired for cable tv, consider MoCA and an access point, which works like a charm.

Lastly, make sure your TV is connected to a 5Ghz WiFi signal. 2.4Ghz likely doesn’t have the bandwidth. If your router only handles 2.4Ghz, then it’s definitely time to upgrade. If you have a Samsung tv and you are using the same WiFi network name on both bands, try naming them differently. My Samsung connected to the 2.4Ghz network when I used the same name for both, with no option to choose. So I gave them separate names and all of my Netflix dropouts stopped.

1 Like