Netgear WPN511 RangeMax 802.11g MIMO Notebook Adapter

will this work in mini pci slot?

if not, what and where to get a good deal on a mini pci wifi card?

thanks for any advice:)

Why is the pod cast the theme for wootting off?

if you are refering to the (remove the screws and open the cover) internal min PCI then no this would not work, this is PCMCIA. One place to find a miniPCI card is back at the manufacture or eBay, pricewatch, etc. Many minPCI cards are built for certian laptops too…so be sure to cheak first.

so this isnt just to “enhance” your existing wifi. it can makes it so that you can connect wirelessly to any outputing device? in other words you dont need a netgear router and or modem, right? i know a girl in my school with a dinosaur computer with no built in wireless, has to sit next to ethernet port.

i know this makes me look stupid, no need for anyone to point this out for me.

You would need this card in your laptop to connect to anything Wifi WAP or Wifi “AdHoc” networks near your running 802.11.b, or 802.11g (or 802.11n at g speeds) If the school has a wireless service for students (as many do) then this network card would allow her laptop to get connected with no additional hardware. Oterwise should would need a WAP/router and modem.

pricing for future reference

product(s): 1 Netgear WPN511 RangeMax 802.11g MIMO Notebook Adapter
condition: Refurbished by Netgear

$9.99 + $5 shipping

Now I just need to wait for the desktop ones. I missed out on them during the last wootoff.

<sigh>

here you go the driver page. lthe latest drive is in oct…

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wpn511.asp

good luck.

here are the drivers for vista…

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wpn511.asp

Hey, this is the exact same card I use, wooted some time ago.

My laptop is 9 years old, but it feels really fast to browse the web with this card.

It works great!

In fact, it gets a much stronger signal than any new laptop’s built in wireless. This thing will pick up wireless signals like crazy. Recommend getting one even if you have built in wi-fi, but need to pick up relatively far signals or use it in different environments.

lazy wootguides :smiley: item looks very nice

so, where does this thing go? as is what slot do i push it into?
also,
this thig is for picking up signals? or enhancing signals you can already pick up.
i have built in wireless, but the networks around me come in pretty crummily, this would make them better?

Too bad it can’t take an external antenna, I would be interested if it did. Higher Dbi Antennas always give such a better signal. I have a 8" mini laptop with two antennas I’ve mounted on the back of the screen, damned good reception.

Does anyone know what the chipset is on this card so I know If can use a free program or 2 to get free Wi-Fi (only works with certain chipsets)?

in for one for an ancient laptop that I only use when travelling…

good discussion, guys…

Friend of mine has this and the associated Netgear router and he said his signal strength and download speeds are way better, so I’m getting one for the wife since we already have the router.

Thanks for the great comments. I was kind of “on the fence” about this item, but after reading, I think I’m going to risk it. I have a netgear wireless router, but my laptop is equipped with a Dell Wireless 1450 Dual Band WLAN Mini-PCI Card. I never use my PCMCIA slot so I figure it’s worth the woot. Thanks again for posting relevant comments.

If anyone is worried about the refurb part… don’t. I have a refurb Netgear USB WiFi adapter that has worked fine for quite a while. I use it to work on other systems on our WiFi only network and it’s quick and painless. I just keep the drivers on a USB drive with it.

If some of you already have a Netgear MIMO router or access point, you’ll probably notice a difference with this - though it’s probably not worth it if your laptop has built in wifi.

GroceryFiend: If your laptop has a small slot on the side (usually about 1/8" x 2.5"), it would go in there - usually there’s a place holder piece of plastic in there when you’re not using it. But if you already have built in wifi, this might not be worth it. Then again, if you always get crappy signal, you could try a card like this to see if it would do better than what your built in wifi does. But it’s a one or the other thing. I wouldn’t work with your built in wifi, it would work in place of it.

ivioo: I don’t know what program you’re talking about to get “free wifi.” The “free” part usually depends on what wifi you’re trying to access (coffee shop, airport, etc).

You’re probably only going to notice a boost though if your current Netgear router is MIMO compatible. If it’s just regular 802.11g, you may not notice too much difference.

me thinks the wootoff song was a mistake, but a precursor to a post-Thanksgiving sellout.wootoff…

Another reason to be thankful :slight_smile: