NEW 2020 Apple 13.3" MacBook Air with M1 Chip

NEW 2020 Apple 13.3" MacBook Air with M1 Chip

It’s a 2020 how can it be new?

Its been sitting on a warehouse shelf?

This model was released in Oct 2020, but is still current, as in Apple still sells it directly from their store as their budget model.

It’s actually a fine computer, and if I recall correctly from comparisons at the time, it has CPU performance that can touch on i7 levels of performance, but sip a lot less power while doing so (hence the 18hr battery life in a 2.8lbs device). The GPU is also strong for an integrated GPU, so performance ought to be at least as good as a nice Intel based ultrabook in that regard, but it can’t compete with a decent dedicated GPU. That said, if you’re looking for dedicated GPU levels of performance, a <3lbs, fanless MBA really shouldn’t be your target.

Aside from that, the two things that hamstring the M1 MBA are that Apple insists on selling it for $999 (a joke), and you can only get 16GB for $200 more (an even bigger joke - the base model comes with 8GB). Woot’s sale solves both of these issues.

The only other call out is that this doesn’t include MagSafe charging, which is a nice little feature in more-recent releases.

4 Likes

The 8GB model should be more than enough for casual home user workloads given how well the M-series cpu handles memory management.

1 Like

Hoping this finds its way in the next BOC I get. Or really any decent computer.

We have historically been all Windows for desktops and laptops, (and all Apple for phones and tablets) but the way Microsoft is sending tens of millions of older PCs to the landfill with Windows 11 (clearly at the behest of HP, DELL, and Lenovo … they did not do this with Windows 10) has got us considering moving to Apple for desktops and laptops.

We have a 2020 13” MacBook Air, 8-core M1, 8GB RAM, 512GB. Wow, the benefits of seamless integration across devices. Easy and synchronized texting across iPhone/iPad/MacBook. Same for copy/paste or web-browsing. Seemingly endless battery life. Don’t really miss the MagSafe charge connector Apple is bringing back since we never seem to need to charge it during the day. Only at night and don’t even need to do that every evening. Can wirelessly use an iPad to extend the Air desktop and wirelessly use your iPhone as an improved camera for video calls on the Air (it asks you).

We realize Apple also obsoletes hardware with operating system versions… but that used to be a huge advantage of Microsoft & Windows - Windows 10 can run perfectly snappy for mainstream purposes on 8-10 year old hardware as long as it is i5 cpu or better. (Windows 11 requires 2-3 year old hardware.) The Apple price premium (although not as high as perceived, for “apples to apples” build quality) is worth the seamless integration benefits if you’re already using Apple for mobile devices.

If you’re a Windows laptop user and not married to Microsoft for some special use case, the 2020 MacBook Air is a very nice way to test the Apple MacOS waters.

Just a reminder, the base Apple ARM/M series chips only support one external display, hard stop. No “well I won’t use the onboard display and get two external”

1 Like

At first blush, it looks like a bad deal, as lesser versions of this laptop are often on sale for cheaper.

But this is actually an upgraded version, with 16GB (versus 8GB base version) memory.

It’s a rare model to get a sale price on. If I were on the market for a Macbook Air, I’d definitely be tempted.

1 Like

What color is this laptop?

1 Like

It should be noted that a REFURBISHED version of this currently sells at $1019 directly from Apple.

1 Like

@Wooter406781642 Hello! This laptop is Space Gray. Thank you!

1 Like

Hello. Did anyone else order this deal and receive the item with a non US keyboard?

Yes, I received mine yesterday and it has a Canadian keyboard. While it’s a good deal for the 16gb of ram, the keyboard is awkward to use if you’re used to a US QWERTY keyboard.

My frustration is more that it was not advertised as such and even the images provided on the item showed a US QWERTY keyboard.

I am returning mine.

Please see my reply above. Since you’re woot staff I wanted to make you aware of the error and lack of clarity in your offering of this device.

Just received and opened my order today. Same for me. Canadian keyboard. Confirmed with Apple that these were manufactured in Canada in July 2022. I will be returning mine. This has been completely misleading and fraudlaunt by Woot as there was no mention of a non-US keyboard and the images show the US keyboard.

Hi all. Sorry about the Canadian keyboard. I’m alerting the team.

In the meantime, please reach out to Woot! Customer Service. To speed things up, let them know if you prefer a return/refund or a replacement (if possible).

Please allow 24-48h for them to respond.

Browser: Use the Woot! Customer Service form.

Woot! App: Choose Account from the bottom navigation and then Support.

Self-Return: Items without Li-Ion batteries can be self-returned within 30 days. Go to your Order Details to get started. The return label will be emailed from UPS.

Note: Woot! Customer Service replies go to the email address on your Woot! account, not your Amazon login email if used/different.

1 Like

I would like someone from Woot to contact me. I have reached out using the customer service link you provided to inquire further but all I received was a boilerplate response from an offshore customer support agent. The response simply regurgitate the message that you sent to all of us about a $50 refund.

I have already received that message along with the difference for the full refund. I clearly asked in my email if you would provide an opportunity for use to purchase a US keyboard option at the same price and the response was ridiculous. How do I get in touch with an actual woot employee to discuss further?

Hi there. Phone service is through the support form. It will show when it’s available. Unfortunately, we do not have US keyboards to sell. Your options are the $50 partial refund or return for a full refund. Sorry for the mess up on this.

Opened a ticket for support, but maybe you can help? Received mine and although I’m ok with the keyboard, it’s asking me to register through IBM remote. We’re these purchased from an IBM account? Can it be removed so I can use this laptop?