New Matter MOD-t 3D Printer

Why does the price show $269 but on checkout it appears as $289?

Tax maybe? It’s not happening when I try it…

Either way, I’d really urge against buying one. Mod-ts really are not known for being great printers.

Be wary of 3D printers. 3D printing is still in the hobby stage, at least at the consumer level. Just as with old tractor feed dot matrix printers, you need to check for alignment before printing starts, and you have to watch them while the print in case anything gets off track. Check the reviews for this over at Amazon. I do like that they have a “curated” store of figures known to work with the printer.
That said, I bought an M3D printer on Woot last Christmas. It worked great for a month, then, after a software update, it started boring holes through the build plate. My son and I never could correct the problem. However, we learned a great deal about 3D printing in the process. This Christmas I bought a Monoprice Maker Select 3D Printer v2 for only a little more money than this package (minus the filament). What a difference. Bigger. Faster. Better. More reliable. Able to print while not connected to the computer. And, it has a large variety of online user support forums. Maybe we just learned enough with the M3D experience that we anticipated and were able to work around the few minor problems we encountered, but this has been a much better experience.
My advice is to read the reviews and view this device for what it is: an entry into a hobby. I really like the visual simplicity of this design. However, there are lots of moving pieces in any 3D printer design. If you cannot adjust them, the slightest misalignment will cause problems. So, use your judgement. If you are not willing to be patient and make small adjustments to get things to work, even a device that claims to simplify the process as much as this one does may be more than you bargained for.

I was a backer of the MOD-t printer when they ran their campaign on one of the popular crowd-funding sites. I had problems with the initial machine I received, including having it dive into the build plate multiple times but after having the machine replaced it’s been working without issue. Apparently there was a manufacturing problem with some of the early machines that seems to have been resolved.

If you want an introduction to 3D printing without fiddling with the hardware, the MOD-t should give you that. I’ve printed models from the New Matter site as well as from PinShape, Thingiverse (including some simple models I created myself) and other sites.