Nextar Q4 GPS with Text to Speech

It has a SDcard! And it’s been said that you can “hack” it to run all kinds of stuff. So I’d think this is moot.

I’m curious though: what are considered the best routing apps that can run on this thing?

Sure you could, but then my post wouldn’t have been as dramatic, now would it have?

Your average user may also be incapable of updating the maps.

Understood.

On the other hand, I don’t want to have to HACK my GPS! I just want to be able to punch in “FOOD” and have it tell me what’s around me, and give me options for finding more distant but specific ideas. Garmin did that pretty well. It would even show you about 7 names with arrows and distances as you drove.

I don’t find the “hacks” easily. Anyone? Anyone?? Bueller?

I highly recommend this for motorcycle use. With the right mount and a 12v hookup it is perfect. After all, you don’t want to risk a good GPS falling off your bike.

Then you’ll want this - Google Redefines GPS Navigation Landscape: Google Maps Navigation For Android 2.0 | TechCrunch

$61.99 at geeks.com, and higher elsewhere.

Here’s a forum on hacking.

Also read this one.

What’s the advantage of that? Is it just cool, or do you really use each of the five apps for different purposes? And how would a buyer here learn how to do that?

I know that my wife prefers the TomTom interface, while I prefer the Garmin, so it’s easier to have both for sharing.

For your second question, look at my post just above yours.

Really no advantage. Just did it b/c I had all the programs available and wanted to test out each one as I hadn’t used some of them before. After testing out all five, i like the way Navigon and Amigo displays the maps best.

There are a lot of gps dedicated forums on the net which have tons of info on how to hack. The forums provide many links to dl prewritten programs which you only need to copy to your sd card. The code used for these programs are really easy to figure out. Once you figure out what the codes do, you can easily rewrite your own to customize to your liking.

When I first got my Garmin, I was p***ed big time at it because it would drive me through all kind of ridiculous turns and streets, even for the most obvious destination. I made sure it was set for “fastest route”, but I tried it the other way just to see if they are not inversed - same result.

… Then I found out it was set to navigate for “pedestrian”, not for car!!! :-)) (not sure if it was me who set it like this while playing with menus when I got it, or this was the default)

Worked flawless ever since…

I have this (bought from a different ‘daily deal’ site). It routed slowly, but its routing was okay. When I looked into map upgrades, it told to “exchange it.”

Also, mine won’t do multi-point routing (i.e., I can do New York -> Los Angeles, but NOT New York -> Boston -> Los Angeles).

BUT, on the plus side:
this is hackable. I put MioPocket on it and run the iGo GPS system and I am thrilled with it now. I had no trouble hacking it, and it has worked flawlessly ever since, and I can always revert back.

My opinion: With how easily hacked this guy is, the hardware is worth the price of admission.

http://www.nextar.com/frontend/proddetailGPS.asp?pn=Q4-01&co=10000387,10000312

Looks like there are no updates for the maps…

“For a map upgrade, please feel free to participate in our Exchange Program.”

I had purchased this GPS from Best Buy for $70 and loved it. I liked the lane guidance and the directions were easy to follow. It mapped much better than my current Magellan which I hate. The reason I had to take it back was waiting for it to lock onto a satelite each time I turned it on. Some days it would take almost 10 minutes. Also the speaker sucks

I’m in the market for a new GPS, and I like the price of this, but you know what I don’t think it has by default? I will tell you now what I don’t think it has by default. It doesn’t have the ability for the user to punch in a zip code and set the destination that way.

You see, I originally bought a Navman unit, and it did have this ability . . . it was great. Then I bought I think a Garmin unit as an upgrade, but it only allows you to navigate by city or street, not zip.

The problem with this is that sometimes you get an address to navigate to, and you don’t know whether or not to punch in the major metropolitan area that the street is located in, or the suburb.

Thus for Pittsburgh, if I’m going to someplace I’ve never been before, let’s say in the suburb of Crafton, I don’t know whether or not to input “Pittsburgh” or “Crafton.” I have to try one and then if I guessed the wrong one I have to try the other one.

This isn’t so bad because I live in Pittsburgh and so know that Crafton is a suburb and can make educated guesses from that knowledge. But if I’m heading to Phoenix, for example, I don’t know that territory and it’s a whole different guessing game.

So much easier to punch in a zip code and then you’re immediately guided to the right address (street, house number) in the right municipality.

I’m in. I hacked my Omnitech unit acquired in a BOC. It was great until I got a white screen of death. I’m hoping I can drop that SD card in and be on my way. The hackability sold it for me!

Does this have a replaceable battery?

Do you have to use the stylus or can you use your finger?

I’ve never owned a single touch screen device in my life, so sorry if this is a stupid question.

Not that I know of, but at this price, you’ll do better to buy a new one if the battery ever dies.

You can use your finger.