NEXX Garage Smart Garage Door Controller

NEXX Garage Smart Garage Door Controller

Bought two of these last time they were on woot. They work quite well. But, the geofence option (open the door when phone returns home) is a bit flakey. I have not had time to figure out why, but everything else works great.

1 Like

I bought one of these the last time they were on Woot and love it.

I pretty much always have my phone in my pocket but never carry around a garage door remote, so it’s extremely convenient to be able to whip out my phone and hit a button in the app to open the garage whenever I’m outside and realize I want to get in there for some reason. Recycling night, impromptu yard work, the sudden realization that I need some tool from in there, whatever.

The ability to check if the garage door is open and also get open alerts is nice for those of us who always wonder if we forgot to close it.

I also hooked it up to Alexa so I can easily open and close the door with my Echo that sits near my front door.

Setting it up was extremely easy, though I lucked out a bit by having a free power outlet right above the opener. I’d guess it was maybe 20 minutes total to hook up both the controller device as well as mount the door open detector plus getting wifi connected and everything tested. I had no problems getting a good wifi signal – something that concerned me as smart devices often are pretty poor the further you get away from the router.

My one complaint is that I’d prefer if the Apple Watch app just gave me one big button to open/close the door right away vs. trying to get me to use voice commands. There is no Apple Home integration so you are forced to use their app and there is no watch complication to let you put a quick shortcut on your watch face.

1 Like

Bought two of these last time they were on woot. They work quite well. But, the geofence option (open the door when phone returns home) is a bit flakey. I have not had time to figure out why, but everything else works great.

Also bought one on the last Woot sale. I like it very well. The geofencing works well for me, except I had to set the radius to the maximum the app allows (200 ft I think) for the garage door to actually be opening by the time I pull in the drive way. Otherwise I would pull in the driveway before the door even started opening and I would have to sit and wait for the door to finish opening before I could pull in the garage.

Note (for others considering purchasing) that geofencing is only on arrival to open the door. It won’t shut the door when you drive away.

I’m also not 100% sure yet, but I think the app, when using geofencing, drains my phone batter much more than without it, probably due to the increased use of the GPS. I’ve been trying to do some tests to verify but keep getting interrupted and haven’t been able to complete the tests yet to be sure it’s the app.

1 Like

Hah! I have already bought TWO of these gadgets (the Garadget laser-based one, and the camera-based one) without installing either one. I would probably have bought this one too, but I read the reviews for the NexxHome app in the Play Store. Tons of recent reviews (2/19) say that people can’t keep the app from crashing.

1 Like

How does it detect when the door is open and when its closed?

Disregard question…I now see the sensor in the last picture

I bought one of these the last time they were on Woot and overall I have been pleased. The geofencing option to open the door never worked and drained the battery on my phone so I gave up on it. Install was simple and it came with more than enough bracketry for mounting the sensors. It has been working quite solidly, I haven’t had to power-cycle it and haven’t had any app crashes either. Setting it up with Google voice was a little tricky and the way it works, “Hey Google, ask Nexx Garage to open my garage door” is a little strange but I’ve gotten used to it. You can also ask the status or if the door is open.

Hah! I have already bought TWO of these gadgets (the Garadget laser-based one, and the camera-based one) without installing either one. I would probably have bought this one too, but I read the reviews for the NexxHome app in the Play Store. Tons of recent reviews (2/19) say that people can’t keep the app from crashing.

I bought one last time around, and I haven’t had any issues with the app crashing.