Nicholson Ranch 2006 Chardonnay Sonoma Valley Estate - Four Pack

In for three. Looking forward to trying this.

I’m in for one.

The firestone chard that I got the 6 pack of is down to 3 bottles, and this is a good deal. Also, I’ve heard some people on comments remark that the firestone chard is hit and miss - some bottles are better than others…

Taking a bit of a chance, but as always, winewooter comments push it over the edge.

Is it so bad that I wish these were screw tops? With all the Havens coming, I’m going to be out of horizontal storage space (thank goodness Stillman used screw tops for the Zeps).

This looks like a phenomenal deal though. Bah, I guess I’ll just turn a box on it’s side for a while…where’s that buy button…

Yes, I think I’m an addict.

I didn’t care much for the bottle of Firestone that we opened last week. Can anyone compare the two? We don’t drink much white, but I like to have some around.

Edit - The Firestone we opened came out very spicy…have only opened that one so far, so now I’m very curious about the comment above about some bottles being better than others

It was only a brief mention, but I did comment on this specific wine in a Nicholson Ranch visit report:

Nicholson Ranch Visit Report

Wow, Dec09—that didn’t take long—Congratulations!!! Welcome to the Dark Side!!!

I know. Scary, huh. For the past couple years I’ve been picking up grab bag cases at the local liquor stores with a mix of cheap and some in the low $20 range. Unfortunately, for all the variety I got, only a few I really liked - though a lot of good tasting experience.

So, I just started looking at internet wine deals, and it appears the wine economy woes are my gain, as I’m able to move upscale a whole notch for basically the same price.

I’m sure I still won’t like everything, but it’s costing me about the same to try…

I am definitely waiting on rat reports before deciding whether to buy any of this. There was a previous woot offering from Nicholson for their 2001 Estate Pinot Noir..

It was quite inexpensive and I was looking for PN at the time so I bought a case, assuming that woot would never offer a wine that was not good. That was a mistake.

The wine is unfiltered and was very cloudy. But worse was the nose and taste for most bottles. Far too vegetal and bitter, without any balance. I almost poured the rest of my case down the drain two years ago, but fortunately decided to wait a bit to see if the cloudiness went away and with it the bad taste, etc.

I drank a bottle recently and noted that the wine had cleared up some. After a few hours of air, it actually was better than drinkable, so I am glad I waited on it. But it’s a lot of hassle, because in addition to the decanting, I also had to paper filter the last third or so of the wine to get rid of the floating sediment that the cloudiness had turned into in order to eliminate some remaining bitterness.

Still, I won’t buy any Nicholson again until a) I hear reliable positive reports and b) someone explains what happened to that 2001 Pinot Noir.

I hope the winery participates this time… my recollection is they did not on the first offering. (but I will check to see about that)

on edit… no participation from the winery last time on the 2001 PN. Discussion here

Too bad this isn’t for the 2007 Estate Chardonnay, which was very highly regarded at the 2009 SF Chronicle Tasting:

http://www.winejudging.com/medal_winners_2009/213.htm

Perhaps that’s why they need to move this - everyone is beating down their door for the 2007 instead.

I’m still on the fence for this one - come on, rats (were there any for this?) hopefully one can offer an opinion on it. Would be even better if they could compare it with the Firestone offering. I usually like chard, and the Firestone wasn’t bad, but it gave me some serious heartburn and a headache! Thought it might have been something I ate, or an allergic reaction, but it’s happened with every bottle of the Firestone chard. Still have a few bottles left in the cooler and am leery to drink any more of it.

They only rat the Monday offerings (because they’re available all week), so there won’t be any official ones for this. Someone may have purchased a bottle from the store or winery and be able to give us a heads up tho. Got a couple days to wait for it.

Personally I loved the Firestone, polished off a bottle by myself a couple days before Christmas. I’d be all over this if my resolution wasn’t better money management…Gave myself a woot quota.

this is a good deal, beautiful winery, chard I have had there has always been very good

This is true. But people buying Cali Chard are missing out on some nice Rias Baixas Albarinos and Loire Chenin Blanc (many of which probably also get the barrel ferment, ML and sur lies treatment).

The complaint is that the caricatured style is so prevalent, you must tread carefully. And usually the balanced versions are expensive. Like Napa Cabs, you’re usually better off with something else at a lower price point. I do like Alma Rosa Chard for around $13 at Costco, and that gets some oak and ML I believe.

Anyone live in Evanston Wyoming or around there wanna help a transplanted Utahn out? I miss Ocean Beach.

i am so almost convinced…
but i seem to be having a bad run of orders over the internet recently…not sure if i should pull the trigger, i will wait for a couple more posts i guess.
(yay i used self -control!!)

After trying to drink a couple bottles of the Firestone, we used some to make fondue over the holidays and the rest was thrown away. We found the stuff to be undrinkable!

If only there were some way to reward yourself for this. :wink:

In for one. Can’t pass on a deal especially when all my wife’s friends drink white wine & never seem to bring any over.

I hate Chardonnay. At least, I think I do.

Here is what I do like: Sweet whites (Riesling, Gewürztraminer, Late Harvest anything, Ice Wines), some (some!) Pinot Grigios, just about anything pink (har har har, I know), god-awful crap like Manischewitz (but I am Jewish, so this is an excuse) and then, oddly enough, Merlot so dry you feel thirstier after drinking it, Cab-Sauv, Beaujolais is a favorite… Actually, I just really like red wines.

Every Chard I have ever had could be described as having, “unpleasant notes of dog urine.”

But, then again I am something of a newbie to wine and certainly to white whine. I don’t think, though, I like… tangy wine.

So, if you are still with me here, would this Chardonnay be a good choice for me?

Throwing my 2 cents on the Firestone Chard, I ordered twelve and have gone through five. One bottle did give me the “bitter beer” face, but the rest have been good to very good. At the price I paid, I am very happy with this wine.