Nicholson Ranch Estate 2001 Pinot Noir Quartet

Finally Recieved my wine woot from the first week. The St Supery arrived Friday afternoon. Very tasty!

I’m lucky it didn’t come Sat while I was watching mexico lose as I might have been close to “if you’re drunk when the package shows up, you will not be allowed to receive it” Never in a million years did I think this was an actual risk.

This Pinot looks like a good deal. I now know it really does take a long buzzkilling time to arrive in NJ, but it arrives safely so I’m in for 8 on this one.

in for 2! can’t wait

Woohoo!!

First wine.woot.com or woot.com purchase!!!

Took a good Pinot Noir at what seems to be an exceptional price to get me started!

I came across this website for those people in states who can’t receive wine or have a long delivery time.

In for 2, I will have to check the recent pinot noir wine spectator once I get home. It seems to have mixed reviews, but I am a sucker.

Wine Spectator rating: 84. Earthy, leathery aromas lead to spicy, herb, rhubarb and stewed plum flavors. Smooth-textured, but comes up short on richness and flavor. Drink now through 2006. Tasted twice, with consistent notes. 800 cases made.

FYI, the 2002 and 2003 vintages of this wine were each rated 89 by WS.

an 84? stewed plum? Thats pretty ass-tastic. Oh well, this thing has gone from a questionable 92 to a bottom barrel 84. I hope I am at least saving money (or at least not losing money compared to a bottle of yellow tail). yay, house warming and other gifts that this will be used for.

A review for the 2003, so an 89 2 years later. who knows

Unlike any Pinot we have released so far, the nose on this wine explodes with pomegranate, cherry, earth, red fruits and jasmine. This wine is very Burgundian in its earthy qualities, but the obviously sweet, ripe fruit shows its California heritage as well. On the palate this wine is medium to full bodied with a complex and sweet entry showing damp earth, persimmon, roasted duck and black cherries. The finish slowly trails off while offering up faint hints of cinnamon.

The Wine Spectator Lots to admire in this ripe, juicy Pinot. It exhibits ripe plum, wild berry and black cherry fruit that’s sharply focused, turning silky and complex on the finish. Drink now through 2009. 700 cases made. Score: 89. —James Laube, September 30, 2005.

Seems to me that pinots don’t last as long - making 2001 a slightly older vintage. With so few cases made, I wonder why it’s still around.

However, you can’t beat a good pinot and at this deal, it’s worth the risk. I’m in for a case.

I’d like to hear of any first-hand reports from anyone who has had this wine recently.

I’m in for one set. You’re lucky to get a cheap Pinot for $9-10 these days. Worth a risk for $12.50/btl.

It will be interesting to come back here later and read everyone’s reviews for those who bought this.

I’m in for 1 quartet. First Woot Wine purchase, and it looks like it’s a good one.

Anybody know how long it will take to get to Dallas, TX?

Read one tasting note that said this was a little thin with somewhat of a hot finish… but hey, ANY well made Napa Pinot for under $20 a bottle is worth a try. Me? think I’ll wait for something a little meatier… a cab… meritage… even a not-so-juicy syrah.

Stephen Tanzer’s review (International Wine Cellar) is as follows:
Stephen Tanzer’s International Wine Cellar, May/Jun 03
($30; 14.3% alcohol; bottled in July of 2002) Good medium red. Aromatic nose of strawberry, currant and earth; less spicy than the 2000. Fatter and sweeter in the mouth, with a flavor of crystallized strawberry. Still, I’d like to have seen a bit more nuance. 88 points

He tends to be a hard grader - so in for 1…

from the comments, it seems that the 2002 and 2003 version of this wine is really good, but the 2001 version (which is being sold here) is not so good. Am I correct?

I take this as, noone really knows, but the 2003 was good. So, on the theory that good vineyards continually make good wines, this may be ok. But jalan seems to have read his issue of wine spectator which gave an 84(!) to this bottling. So, in the 9-17 weeks it takes to get wootwine delivered, we will find out what we bought.

This is my first wine.woot buy. I’m in North Carolina. Anybody have any idea how long it’ll take to get here? Thanks.

Thanks for that, message sent.

Hi! I posted this request on the Abandon discussion also (since it’s ongoing)…When you receive your wine, could you post when you wooted and when it was received? This might help put some averages on the wine deliveries. Just an idea…

Woot: Shouldn’t you change the name of the site to CaliforniaWine.Woot.com?
When are you going to come up with something NOT grown in the Napa Valley?

I am a subscriber in both online and hardcopy Wine Advocate, and the only “Nicholson” I can find therein is for Nicholson River, a different winery alltogether… From what I see, Parker et al. (The Wine Advocate) have not rated anything from Nicholson Ranch. So: Where did you get this, speedoo???
p.s. - For those wondering, Parker did rate the vintage for 2001 “California North Coast Pinot Noir” in general as “92E”, the E meaning accessible early (versus something to store for the ages). 2002 also got 92E, and 1994 got 92R (ready), but aside from that the region hasn’t had a vintage that got anything above 90 from RP…
p.p.s. - Tanzer’s rating of 88 falls right in his “Very Good to Excellent” range.
p.p.p.s. - Hope summer shipping of wines works out better for other wooters than it has for me…