Nikon 16MP Digital Camera w/18x Opt Zoom

First time I try to buy something and the server freezes up on me??? Really?

I have this camera and it is great. The zoom is fantastic. We use it for sports and travel. It is noce to have a flash and there is an in camera zoom that is cool.

$99 is a fantastic price.

I logged out and back in. Got it. Thanks, Woot!

Why two days shipping is not available?
I would need it delivered by Marh 29.
How long does standard shipping takes?

Done by Nikon! That’s a big difference.

It’s probably coming direct from Nikon. You’re taking a chance but I would going by my prior shipping. I have over 300 woot orders since 2006.

It figures you’re Greek… same sick and twisted mind I have. Kalo post

Seriously, this looks to be a great deal (old school Woot?) when compared with list and used / refurb options out there.

Perfect graduation gift camera. In for 1!!

I was really looking at all the reviews I could find and I’m probably going to not get this. The battery life isn’t good; it uses a proprietary USB cable; B&H Photo lists it as discontinued; I can find no references as to how rugged this might be.

11 glass element lens though…

I have a Pasasonic Lumix that I wooted a couple of years back (refurbished) and it’s doing great. However, this camera can zoom in and out while you’re shooting video, which mine can’t.

Money is so tight these days, I just don’t know…

You need to tell us what kind of “decent” photos you are hoping to take. I had one person in my class wanting a camera for “general photography.”

When asked what that included, they said shots of eagles on the bluff, indoor sports shots, nature photos, etc." That AIN’T general photography. That requires far better gear than the sub-$100 compact camera.

Anyone know how it compares to the Panasonic DMC-ZS19 that was on here a few days back for about $20 more?

mod: obviously higher megapixel, but less zoom. I’m more asking about quality of build and best over all value.

This link helped: Comparison

Seriously, I humbly suggest you bone up on how to use the digital camera you just bought. Take a class, read a book, look online.

First, your “grainy” concert shots are probably from using “digital zoom” which simply crops the image inside the camera. The lens on a cheaper camera is really not designed for “available light,” although some concerts are pretty well lit.

Second, there is no such thing as cards that break the camera: there ARE cards that work faster and are required for some functions such as HD video and very fast bursts.

As far as slow start up and shutter lag, you get what you pay for. More expensive cameras work faster.

Digital cameras are not magic, they just don’t use film.

Once you know the limitations of your camera and when it’s not going to work, you won’t be as disappointed.

You may start to notice that A/S/M (aperture priority/shutter priority/manual) are going away or are very well hidden on most cameras in this class.

Reason: most “younger” people don’t know anything about apertures, shutter speeds or their relationship to the ISO of the camera. They don’t use those features and they don’t care about them.

That’s because most people have not had to adjust a camera in 30-40 years.

Some people want to be Ansel Adams and other Andy Warhol.

The fun thing is that the advanced AI on many camera in this class of camera provide astounding results with no knowledge of what the camera is doing.

I really wish these camera’s manufacturers would show how long of a recorded video they will make.

I used to think that they would keep recording a video for the length of the memory, or until the battery died, whichever came 1st. That what happens on all my older Casio’s.

Then I bought one of the Pentax Optio 18x optical camera’s from woot. Great pictures, nice movies, but even with an NTFS or FAT32 formatted SD card, it has a software limit of 2GB. So 10 minutes on high res, longer on lower res. Pentax has no plans on updating their software either (I checked).
No idea for this camera.

I wonder if there are heat built-up problems in the sensors that prevent unlimited video? Just a guess.

I think how long a continous video can be has more to do with memory speed and buffering than heating effects. This would depend on the class of the SD Card, so there’s that variable. Just a guess.

can this camera be mounted on a tripod? No photos of bottom to see if there is a mount. thx

Clip limits

One of the main disadvantages with using a stills camera to shoot movies is the short recording times available for HD video; Nikons limit a single take to 5 minutes while Canons and European Panasonics stop after 29 minutes, 59 seconds. This limitation is due to the different (European) import duty rates for still and video cameras. However, although this may seem like a handicap, in reality you would never need to shoot a sequence for longer than a couple of minutes or so (The celebrated opening take of Orson Welles’ ‘Touch of Evil’ calls it a day after just three and a half). Look at any program or documentary on TV and notice that most shots are only held for a few seconds. Furthermore, a 4Gb card will store just 12 minutes of 1080p video from a Canon 5D Mark II, so you may never hit the 29 minute limit. The only time you would possibly need a longer recording time is in the case of shooting an entire wedding ceremony or event, in these situations a camcorder may be a better option.

I am 100% confident there is a tripod socket.

http://dpinterface.com/reviews/nikon-coolpix-s9300/nikon-s9300-bottom.jpg