Nikon 16MP Digital Camera w/18x Opt Zoom

4 Star Reviews from Amazon
Photography Blog review
[youtube=jRhRLZMK8ok][/youtube]

I ordered this about a month ago, for a trip to Disney World.

The features it has for a point and shoot are pretty decent. I recommend reading the manual to see all of the features available.

The photos in bright light are great, better than most point and shoot cameras that I have used. The videos are pretty good as well. The shots at night are kind of grainy and washed out, but look decent still if you aren’t looking at them full res.

The problem I had was that as soon as I got it, and opened it, I encountered a “Lens Error”. It went away after turning the camera off and on, however it returned several times during my trip. Woot has since replaced the defective one, and I haven’t had any issues with the new one.

For the price and quality of images, it was worth it for me to get a replacement vs opting for a refund.

Check out these comments from when this was offered in July

Read and watch this “very good” review over at cnet.com

pcmag.com found this camera “fair”

I bought this camera and i could not be happier with it. I have 5 DSLRs, both Nikons and Canons. Guess what I reach for when I need to take a few shots of a party, or when going on a trek, or the beach, etc…It is a nice size, takes great shots, and I don’t have to risk a couple of grand every time I go out for a few photos. Yes, it is not perfect by any means. But it is Nikon quality through and through. I think most of the complaints I read were with advanced features like GPS and higher ISOs, which most average users seldom need. This is a nice camera at a great price. Buy it; you probably won’t regret it.

PCMAG Conclusion about this camera:
Given its price and pedigree, the Nikon Coolpix S9300 is a resounding disappointment. The previous-generation 12-megapixel S9100 tested very well, but S9300’s image quality at higher ISO suffers, which calls into question the decision to pack an additional four million pixels into already small imaging sensor. If you’re in the market for a long zoom camera with GPS, the Canon PowerShot SX260 HS is a much better choice in terms of image quality and performance—and it’s the same price. If you’re willing to spend a bit more, consider our Editors’ Choice Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V $484.95 at Amazon, a Wi-Fi enabled camera that also sports a sharp zoom lens, GPS, and delivers good high ISO performance.

dpreview is not encouraging.

As with the S9100 before it, photo quality is where the Coolpix S9300 really stumbles compared to its peers. While exposure is generally accurate, the camera has strong highlight clipping at times. I have no complaints about color: the S9300 had vivid colors both inside and outside of the studio. The camera’s biggest problem are its soft and noisy photos (with lots of fuzzy details), which you’ll see even at the base ISO of 125. Things get worse rapidly, and I’d say the S9300 is at least a stop worse than the best cameras in this class. If you keep the ISO below 400 and make small prints then you’ll probably be satisfied, but the bottom line is that other cameras do a lot better. On a more positive note, the S9300 keeps purple fringing levels low, and redeye was not an issue.

Overall, I found that the Coolpix S9300 is a decent travel zoom camera, but there are several competitors that I think are better choices. While it does offer a nice point-and-shoot feature set, the mediocre photo quality, poor battery life, and other annoyances prevent me from recommending it.

Some other GPS-equipped travel zoom cameras worth considering include the Canon PowerShot SX260 HS, Fuji FinePix F770EXR, Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20, Samsung WB850F, and Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V. If you can live without the GPS, the Olympus SZ-31MR, Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15, and the Pentax Optio VS20 may also be worth a look.

I bought this camera when it was offered in July 2013.

I am very pleased with the entire experience.

The camera was shipped quickly, and I was able to use it directly out of the box, without much reliance on the manual.

Photo quality is better than I expected, particularly since I am asking this camera to do more than it is truly intended to do.

My photography consists mostly of shots taken during MLB and NHL games. My fiancee sits next to me with a fairly professional DSLR setup (you know, giant lens that weighs 20 pounds). His photos are obviously higher quality than mine, but mine aren’t the crummy, blurry messes I would expect with a lower-end camera such as this one.

Bottom line: My photos aren’t going to end up in magazines or photography competitions. They are good enough, though, to be printed at 16 x 20 inches and framed on my walls, and I have several printed at 8 x 10 that will make terrific autograph photos at my favorite teams’ fan fests.

I’m a big fan of Nikons. I own two Nikon DSLRs (the expensive ones) and 8 or 10 Nikon lenses. I’m also a big fan of Panasonic Lumix compact cameras. I have an old Panasonic Lumix model from about four years ago. I think I paid $129 for it from Amazon. I did a direct comparison between this Nikon S9300 and my four year old Panasonic, taking the exact same photos at the same time under the same conditions. The Panasonic’s photos were MUCH sharper and clearer with better contrast, color, and more accurate hue. The Nikon’s photos were frankly pretty bad.

Even at this price, if you care about photo quality, I would avoid this camera. As for the people who love it, that’s great for them. There are also people who are tone deaf or colorblind.

Yup, not a great deal at $399 - superb deal at $79. I have one of these and it is a great knock-about camera when I don’t want to schlep around my D800. Also, I am not sure you will find one of those other cameras at this $79 price point. Nikon quality at a no-name price point.

I wish Nikon made cell phones.

Thought I’d take a quick peek at the manual and Nikon wants 9 bucks for any of their manual. NINE BUCKS?

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/en_US/list/ThemeID.27720500/Manuals__Education/categoryID.43894800

anybody have a free site?

I bought this camera, last time it was on woot. And I was pretty impressed with the quality of the pics and the overall features of the camera for the price it was offered.
It’s worth a buy unless you are scared of the GPS feature ( if you want yourself hiding from ppl )

I currently have a Casio Exilim EX-ZR100 (pocket camera) and I like it a lot except the screen is picking up too much dirt inside. I’ve had (the bigger) Canons and Nikons and I am truly impressed with the macro abilities of the Casio. Outstanding!! Never even knew Casio made cameras before. I figured I might try the Nikon little guy but not without looking at the manual. Casio manuals are free.

@sterhill-

You can download most Nikon camera manuals for free, directly from the Nikon USA web site. You will find the (free) manual for this camera here: http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/coolpix/S9300_9200_EN.pdf

Enjoy!

I have had 2 of these. for 80 bux you can’t get a better camera. has good low light sensitivity, and in auto mode you can point n shoot w/o having to think about it.

I bought one during last month’s offering and cannot be happier with it. Am going to buy another one to be used as a Christmas gift.

I’ve found manuals online at Nikon for free to download. If you want one sent to you then you have to pay but why would you want to do that?

Here’s a link.
https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17678

I don’t think the description is entirely accurate: “Zoom-NIKKOR ED glass lens (25mm-450mm)”!