Nikon S9700 16MP Wi-Fi Digital Camera

Product Page/Reviews

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4]
http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/eed95ffc-0eae-49a9-a034-48754347fa5c.jpg

Nikon S9700 16MP Wi-Fi Digital Camera
Price: $179.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard OR $10 Two-Day OR $20 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 days (Monday, Jan 12 to Tuesday, Jan 13) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](http://www.woot.com/offers/nikon-s9700-16mp-wi-fi-digital-camera) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Nikon S9700 16MP Wi-Fi Digital Camera) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](Nikon - Google Shopping S9700 16MP Wi-Fi Digital Camera)

4.6 Stars over at B&H Photo

Check out this “excellent” review over at PCMag.com and a “very good” review over at cnet

Aside from those who expect the camera to be 100% magic, most of the 1 and 2 star mothership reviews complain about the mechanized zoom lens failing.

Just to sound like a broken record, I repeat…

Look at the specifications of ANY camera before buying and compare it’s limitations to your aspirations.

The lens is a Aperture: f/3.7 (W) - 6.4 (T) which means it will spend most of it’s time at F/6.4. (What is that?)

For those of you who do not wish to learn the physics of photography (how much light it takes to make a picture and stop action or avoid “shake”), you will probably not get those indoors sport shots and then claim the camera takes “blurry” pictures.

Learn to take the camera off the decision-free setting and set the camera at the top ISO 6400 (the what?) in order to get a somewhat higher shutter speed (the what?) to use with the fairly small aperture (the what?).

There is not yet a Magic Fairy Dust camera that does it all for you and always “turns out.”

Get the right tool for the job.

How does factor reconditioned compare to new?

Here’s our definition:

A “factory reconditioned” item was returned, inspected, and restored to fully working condition by the original manufacturer or a certified partner. And the original manufacturer stands behind it with a warranty. It’s as close to new as you can get without technically being “new”.

With shipping and tax it comes to over $194. Adorama has it for $189 with free shipping on Ebay. Refurbished by Nikon with 90 day warranty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Coolpix-S9700-Digital-Camera-Black-Refurbished-by-Nikon-U-S-A-26469-B-/331354632106?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item4d26466faa

Good advice, Radio. Let me add though, that the higher the ISO setting, the more open the aperture, which will narrow the depth of field, which could cause focus issues.

Does anyone know if one can use a microSDHC card in an adapter in this (or any) camera?

I do it all the time with my Canon PowerShot SD1200IS. No issues.

After listening go on and on about this stuff, I read up on this more and realized how right you were. The biggest thing I didn’t understand was the whole sensor size issue. These compact digital cameras have a 25mm (sq) (same as 1/2/3") whereas a DSLR digital will have a sensor size that will range 329 mm (sq) (APS-C) and larger. The larger the sensor the more light that gets in.

http://2.static.img-dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100/images/Sensor-Sizes.png?v=3036

This also plays a factor in addition to the lenses and F this and that that Radiojohn talks about that I semi understand, but choose to let the electronics of my new Canon 70D figure it out. Bottom line is cameras like today’s woot are only a little better than what is in a good smart phone these days. If that’s all you need - great, this is a decent buy. If you have pics in low light or motion, do a lot of zooming…and really want the best results- you got to pay the piper. Listen to Radiojohn.

Does anybody know if you can zoom while creating video, and if so how noisy the motor might dump into the same video? Can a video be started and paused within the same file, or is it a stitching requiremtn later?

These days buying a point and shoot with anything bigger than an f2.8 lens is just stupid.

If you dont understand what that means I do suggest, no demand, you do some research on basic photography before buying a camera.

You dont buy a car without knowing how to use it properly…why a camera? Your phone is now what you should use for brainless photos.

Fortunately for people buying this camera, f/3.7 is SMALLER than f/2.8.

But you already knew that because you have done basic photography research, right?

With this Adorama sale through Amazon, the only form of payment you can make is PayPal. They’ll use your balance first and then a credit card. I want to pay with a credit card and it won’t allow.

Almost. The sensor is about the same at what you get in a cellphone these days. The glass is totally different, and it what’s worth the money here. You & Radio are correct in that small sensor size limits the IQ in low light (mo space for mo photons = mo better image in a shorter time) but if you push past the light-collection limits of a small sensor the thing that gives is time… = blurry photos even at ideal focus. However, putting nice glass with the ability to do optical zoom means you can push to the limits of sensor capability all the way from wide angle to telephoto.

I’ve posted some very pro-product rants here regarding the Pentax Q series, and honestly the original Q/Q10 had this same merely-ok sensor combined with fantastic glass**. The result is still a compromise, but as long as that compromise curve matches up with expected usage, you tend get great images. This Nikon is no different: Jimmyjoe Consumer loves his iFruit device, but it takes effluvial pictures of his hiking group (wide) and similarly rotten pix of birds (tele) because “digital zoom” is a marketing term for “cropping” and there’s not much feedback other than bad pix when he’s past the limits of the glass. So Nikon’s response is to slap much nicer glass in front of the same sensor, which gives Jimmyjoe full-sensor images at both ends of the range, in a still-pocketable device. And then Jimmyjoe is happy even if he don’t know why.

It’s not magic, just optimization for the limits of the components. This is a nice camera in the sense that it’s the right set of tools for the job (for typical Jimmyjoe Consumer), not that it’s the ravingly best of any one of those tools.

TLDR; Takes great pix for what it is. If I were in the market for a teeny pocketable camera, I’d be in for one.

** (and interchangeable lenses, and DSLR-level capabilities in firmware, and a crazy short flange focal distance so you can adapt just about any other lens to it, and focus-peaking and in-body stabilization so old manual lenses are usable, and… But that’s off-topic.)

Yeah I have about just enough knowledge of photography to get me in trouble. I always wanted a camera that I could also take decent video with. I have a Sony HX100V (Carl Zeiss lens) that does a nice job that a bought a few years ago that fit the bill. Unfortunately at my nieces wedding I took some shots and realized exactly what the limitations are of a camera like that. Comparing it with my new Canon 70D, there are just shots that you can get with these digital SLRs that are impossible to make with other cameras. To be fair the 70D is a LOT more money- but I guess everything is relative depending on how valuable those pics are to you. I do the majority of my photos on the fully automated settings, and although I have the theoretical knowledge about how shutter speed, ISO and aperture work- I don’t have enough practice to actually make the adjustments on my own yet with any real confidence. Basically everyone should have a nice pocket camera for true ease and portability, and if you can afford a digital SLR camera (and have the need for it) you will be amazed by what it can do even if you’re a newbie like me play in fully automatic.

Since at the tele setting it can never open much more then F/6, that may not be a problem. However, some AF systems also do not work as well or as fast at these smaller apertures.

There is just so much to factor in that most folks don’t want to think about!