Nikon S9700 16MP Wi-Fi Digital Camera

I have a couple of fixed-lens cameras with f/2 lenses and my Canon 50mm is 1.8. I use them specifically for times when I need a lot more light entering the camera. I would like you to explain more fully your premise.

But you are correct, it takes some study in order to get the right tool for the job.

That’s why I wrote “How To Use The Digital Camera You Just Bought!” It came after my book, “How To Buy Your First Digital Camera.”

Maybe I should do one called, “How To Buy The RIGHT Digital Camera?”

Agreed. I had exactly that moment with the Q at a family event (indoor, night, dancing) that tempered my enthusiasm for that camera platform even with the Q7’s larger 1/1.7 sensor. I still dig my tiny little Q cameras, but my solution was a Pentax K-01… which seems very much parallel to your HX100V-to-70D transition. Similar platform/brand/experience, just a much larger sensor.

Since I’m ranting in public: The Pentax Q7 keeps showing up here on woot, and is an excellent compromise between tiny size/portability and DSLR features. The Pentax K-01 was also here about 6mo ago iirc, heavily discounted these days, and is an amazing value if you want a larger/APS-C sensor and tons of flexibility on glass. (The reason for the cavernous body is backwards compatibility with K and M42 glass back to the 60’s, on a modern APSC MILC.) Funny looking, yes, but functionally excellent in every respect.

OK, I bought it! Hopefully the Canon 70D is considered one of the right digital cameras because it’s too late for me to return it now. I’ll be disappointed if I’m not an expert by the time I finish the book, it’s all riding on you.

This was for people who dont understand larger numbers means smaller aperture. So yea, I was talking about larger numbers than f2, but thanks for being snarky.

And with many smartphones have f3 or less (yes LARGER apertures) than any point and shoot…having a PnS to do actual point and shooting when your phone can do it better seems silly these days. PnS are losing ground without gimmick and this one has zero with a zoom lens at f6.