Noirmoutier Gourmet French Sea Salt 4-Pack with Bamboo Spoon

When imported from France the French salts are Kosher certified. But since they infusion were processed in a non Kosher certified manufacturing facility, this line of salts aren’t Kosher certified.

The reason the Fleur de Sel container contains 3.5 ounces of product when the other containers contain 4 ounces is because the Flur de Sel is a fluffy white finishing salt that weighs less than the french grey and infused salts. All four continers are the same size.

(a) An observation: your post is the first in this thread to use either of the words “natural” or “organic”, aside from one incidental use in a quote. One might plausibly guess you’re the one with the obsession.

(b) Have you tried these salts? On what basis are you so certain the fleur de sel and the grey sea salt are identical, and/or that it’s shamefully silly for someone to not only taste a difference but to have a preference?

I’ve been campaigning against the blashphemous salt shaker for several years now. Salt doesnt deserve to be left in some idle shaker and forced to pour through small holes! How can you possibly trust the quantity that is coming out of your fly-by-night shaker. Salt needs to be left out in a bowl! Easy access to a pinch of salt. Trust me, your culinary life will improve tenfold. Buy this for the bamboo spooon alone~!

Any idea whether this is actually a good deal? Is this particular salt a good quality?

First none wine wine woot I have gone in on in a while. Seems like a good deal approximately 30% of retail and a variety pack to boot.

I don’t always woot on none wine, wine woots. But when I do its for salt and vinegar.

“Kosher salt” isn’t “kosher” because it’s kosher, it’s “kosher” because it can be used in the koshering process for items where being “kosher” requires being koshered. Unless the salt is processed in a meat-packing facility, I don’t see how salt can possibly be nonkosher as in “unacceptable to eat if you keep kosher,” even if it’s not “kosher salt.”

…and now the word “kosher” looks funny to me. Kosher kosher kosher.

I guess you’ve never had genuine Fleur de sel or other natural salts (they aren’t “flavored” salts but have minerals in them when they’re mined/harvested instead of having them added later). Yes, chemically salt is salt, but in nature it comes with a lot of other things in it and only the fully processed stuff is (almost) free of the minerals. I don’t think that’s not “snobby”, it’s just understanding what you’re eating.

Now, I guess the two in this pack with herbs and stuff are “flavored” and I don’t really understand the point of those two since I could just add my own herbs (and would prefer to do that anyway).

What about all of the impurities and minerals that make each and every salt different? Ever seen pink or grey (gray) salt before, oh Mister Ex-boyfriend? Ever tasted smoked salt? Ever seen salt production or wondered why they call some of it ROCK salt and some of it SEA salt? Still wanna try that “It’s all the same NaCl” line now?

Yeah… I thought not.

So I didn’t know what Herbs de Provence was so I looked it up on Wikipedia. Looks like the recipe is different for French vs. American versions of the blend. Is there any info on what is in this blend? Thanks!

‘Neanderthal with no taste buds’ is a slightly nicer phrase than I would use. :slight_smile:

And both comprised of more than just NaCl.

I <3 you.

I’m trying to figure this out too – I can’t find this product online anywhere and there’s such a wide range of price/quality of these types of salts in the market that it’s hard to know how good of a deal this is.

Anyone have much luck finding a comparison?

Hate to break it to you, but the various minerals, impurities, and natural variations in geography and climate really do make a difference in the taste of salt. This is not after-production flavoring all the time. Pink salt is not treated with food coloring. Whether you want to just call people snobs is one thing, but some day you will have to admit that there might be different tastes out there in the world that you’re just not experiencing.

For the record, one does not need to be a snob to enjoy salt… or wine… or fine art… or anything! Snobbery is confined to a state of mind that should really be prescribed to people on a one-on-one basis, not a blanket statement for people that like something that you don’t. I’ll gladly eat McDonald’s when the craving strikes, and order the occastional charcuterie plate when that mood strikes, too. Does that make me a pâté snob? Or a McSnob?

So sodium chloride = sodium chromate? Or maybe you meant copper sulfate = nickel chloride. NaCl = NaCl, but salt does not necessarily equal salt.

He does get that NaCl is just one form of salt right? But besides that according to USDS guidelines in order to market something as (table) salt the minimum NaCl content is 95%, there’s a lot of leeway in that 5% for natural minerals from the area the salt is harvested from or for different additives (I’m sure someone is trying to develop omega-3 enhanced salt to capitalize on that craze) and flavorings.

Salt with fiber!

Some people use Potassium Chloride instead for health reasons.

I think the caking agent (and I know they put other stuff in, I’ve seen it on the labels) is partly what makes shop salt taste bitter and sharp.

I think some of the best chefs in the world would disagree that all salts are the same. If you taste tested a naturally produced French fleur de Sel that contains no chemicals and all the trace minerals to a processed salt that contains pure sodium cloride, no trace minerals, bleach and anti caking agents like fero cyanide, there is no question the French Fleur de Sel would have a much better flavor and taste. Plus the texture of the salt is not comparable.