North American Outdoors Heavy Duty Charcoal Grill

Although, you would be able to open that front panel and lob some briquets in that way. But I do love my old Weber grill. What caught my eye was the upper level to keep things warm, and the handy shelves on either side. But now Weber has that fancy model with one too, altho it’s too $$$!

I have a Kingsford grill, almost identical to this, with the exception of the chimney and the extra shelf, I got at the big W last year before Memorial Day. I LOVE it. I do have a cover for mine and I do take good care of it, being it is a “cheapy” but the grill area itself is substantial, keeps heat in well, and it smokes well when using wood chips. Adding extra charcoal is kind of a pain, but I just lower the pan and shovel it in with a fireplace shovel and spread it out that way, which makes it easy peasy. Also, I was able to find cast iron grill plates on the big “A” that replaced the chrome plated ones that came with the unit. I spent just under $100 for mine and I’m really happy with it and if I didn’t have mine or needed a new one I’d buy this one. Just my .02.

So what does the handle do? Raise and lower live critters into the fire?

Does anyone know the specs? How long and wide the grill area? Thanks

No - by turning the handle you can raise or lower the fire.

Click on the “specs” tab, right next to the “features” tab.

Home Depot had these a while back, think they were $75. The one put together on the floor seemed flimsy to me and the smoke pipe was loose and thin metal. Same with the frame.

I buy grills like I would clothes, only if I can see and feel them.

Can’t beat a Weber and if you want a real grill/smoker get the Weber Bullet.

I also LOVE my Weber Genesis stainless steel grill. It’s the only gas grill I’ve ever been happy with - NO flames, ever.

Where is it made?

How do you think it would work as a Smoker? Looks like good air control for Temperature management.

Yea…I was wondering too how well this grill sealed up. I’ve seen similar grills that were poorly sealed around the lid and air vents. Can anyone verify whether this seals nicely or not? For instance, my 18" Webber once closed up will stop burning in a matter of minutes…since there is no air getting to the charcoal once closed.

Maybe it’s army surplus.

What better for Mom on her birthday…

I am a BBQ and smoking aficionado and have never heard of this company. I also checked them out on Amazingribs.com to see if there was a review, but there wasn’t. I’d be careful of spending any money on this item, even at this price. There are so many great smokers out there that you’d be better served to spend a little more on a real smoker and get true value with an item that will last a long time than to cheap it out and have something that’s a piece of junk.

raising & lowering the charcoal relative to the grill

I have the exact same model of this grill I picked up for clearance prices at a local home improvement store in NJ. Being a first time grill owner, the price was just right ($50) and truthfully this has turned out to be one durable grill.

Since this is charcoal you control the hot zones, if you lay it evenly the heat is even, if you don’t then it’s not. The screw mechanism may seem flimsy at first and may stick a bit but when the grill heats up it becomes easier and controls the temperature fine.

Make sure you put this on a level surface because if you don’t the whole frame will skew and you will have 1/8” gaps in the corners where the hood won’t completely sit flush with the frame. I live with that, it didn’t start a thermonuclear war so I am assuming NBD.

Last summer 2012 and this spring (and now summer) I nearly had the grill going every week end. The charcoal pan rusted a bit, beyond that it works. This year before I started using it I had to tighten up the screws a bit (it was pre-assembled floor model). As far as durability goes; as I mentioned, I was a first time owner and was expecting to burn my neighborhood down (you know one of those charcoal lighter fireball scenarios) the first time I used this thing so why bother with a cover?

Well, I didn’t, didn’t burn down the neighborhood or the grill (pretty hard to burn a full metal grill down); any who so then over the winter I had to protect it from the weather elements. I stole (ok maybe not) an old shower curtain and used that to cover it up in the rains and other weather. Little did I know that that shower curtain was a farce; it let the water through like it didn’t exist and in the snow there used to be piles of ice on the damm thing. This spring, I was surprised that this thing had come through unscathed. No rust (well ok, the charcoal tray was rusted) or corrosion; no peeling paint or falling off parts and it continues to function. This thing survived Hurricane Sandy, with a bloody shower curtain OK?

Just a word of precaution; the ash catcher (not the Pokémon kid) does not sit completely flush with the back wall, so occasionally as the charcoals burn down in size one may spill over the back of the charcoal tray and fall to the ground instead of the tray. Simple remedy; got an aluminum strip and just had a buddy weld it as an extension to the back lip of the tray. Problem solved.

Hope this helps ya’ll; here’s a small set of images of the grill. You can see the gap that I keep talking about in the first image. Maybe it was just my floor model.

I have a grill from the same manufacturer and from the beginning I knew that I was getting what I paid for. I had to construct it from pieces and when I finished it wasn’t as sturdy as I would have wanted actually a little warped. I have had it over two years and it cooks great but I stored it outside with a tarp and over the two years it completely fell apart from rust. When I pulled it out this year the large handle in the front fell off and when I tried to grill the charcoal fell through the charcoal rack. I paid about the same for it so I am alright with throwing it away and getting another one, just wanted you to be aware that the grill isn’t built to last.

I looked at this model a while back when buying a new charcoal grill and from the loooks of it, I think it would be fine for the occasional griller, not one that you would use 2-3 times a week. The metal is thin, leading to much heat loss especially with charcoal.
The front door to add additional charcoal is way too small for any thing but adding oxygen to the grill, you can add preformed briquets to add more heat but if you use wood chunk briquets, they will not fit through there easily.

The grilling grate being ceramic/enamel will not tolerate high heat well and the will eventually crack and deteriorate and leave you with rusted metal bars underneath. ( I have had a number of grills with this type of grate that have now been retired to our travel trailer or relegated to the lake cabin.

If you are serious about your grilling, spend money on a decent grill, some of the units that Costco or Sam’s Club sells for 30-40 more may be a better long standing unit.

This would make a lousy smoker in my opinion since you can’t control low steady heat so its a kill on that

imma see if i can get an answer on this.
will update.