Not By The Hair Of My Zinny Zin-Zin

When I got my pair, the max it allowed me to get was 8. After my confirmation, it went down to 6. Maybe my assumption was a little off, but I think its pretty close. And now the button is flashing…

That seem right. only one left…
Thanks

Scott -
We always open a double-mag for Easter. This year we actually opened a Zin, but with 15 years on it, which had allowed it to mellow a bit and it didn’t overwhelm the ham and lamb.
I’m afraid this InZin would probably be a bit too assertive and steal the show - am I correct?

YES!! Snagged last bottle of double mag.

Last Wooter to Woot:
amaizing

Yeah… sorry about that. We’re in the process of correcting. And I believe winemaker Rick will be stopping by the boards later to say hello…

I’m glad the double-mag sold out before I even knew this offer was up. Otherwise I would be $85 poorer.

On the Sextant Zin…

I’m hoping and guessing there was just an issue with bottling for a short run of it, but this stuff was awful and had an extreme amount of sediment near the top of the bottle, which looked like congealed/dried wine. I don’t think it was the cork itself at all. The wine was near-vinegar upon initial tasting (but mellowed out the more I had…) I’ve tried two bottles now out of the shipment of six, and both were the same upon opening. I still have the other four, but am leery to open them. Hoping not all are bad. For the record, I handle my wine gently and keep it in a 12 Oster bottle wine fridge I bought from W00t about 5 years ago.

That’s just one bad experience, though, and I doubt it was the same with the whole line, or we would’ve heard much uproar. I may try opening one of the remaining bottles soon and hope it’s not the same

Me too, but I’m also bummed out. I was going to go home tonight and try and sell my wife on why we needed at least one. She told me during the Woot Off yesterday that we didn’t need any more wine (I am still mulling over whether I need to contact a divorce lawyer).

I was hoping I could convince her to let us buy a 3-liter bottle of wine, but, alas, that challenge will have to wait for another day.

Ive unlocked free shipping and looking for winemaker or winery participaton on the lang and calstar offerings. Namely, Re these big zin fruit bombs ala dry creek style but not too sweet? I want both but need some feedback. Thanks

Rick Davis here, owner/winemaker for Calstar Cellars. Wrapping up a very long harvest and getting back into sales/social mode. I selected the fruit for the Alta Zin because I wanted to make an age able Zin. I also strive to make all my wines both food friendly and enjoyable on their own.

Rick Davis here, the Calstar Cellars Zin is more Western Russian River than Dry Creek in style. It is dry, with dark fruit, moderate tannins and subtle (I hope) oak.

Hey Rick, knowing nothing about your wine, how would you describe it? Also, would be curious to know about the oak on these?

Dry with Dark fruit, with moderate tannins and nice layering

I use 25% to 30% new oak, half American and half Hungarian. I’m trying for a more age able style of Zin here rather than a “fruit bomb”

Thanks for chiming in Rick! Would you describe our zin as chewy? What is drinking window and is it ready to drink now or would you recommend letting it sit? Thanks

Where is dorado county? So is your zin similar to Woodenhead in style?

El Dorado County is the highest elevation of the Sierra Foothills AVAs. The vineyard I’m using for this bottling is about half way from Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe, just east of Placerville. Not familiar with Woodenhead’s Zin, so really can’t help there.

Not so much chewy as fruit-driven (dark fruit), with some layering -it’s been described as a Cab drinkers Zin. Ready to drink now will hold for at least 2 years.

Thanks for getting back. Gonna give these a try!

No duh! How did I miss this. Oh yeah, work…