Oberon 2008 Napa Valley Merlot - 4 Pack

It depends on what spice flavors your referring to. Some varietals and/or regions provide a spice flavor naturally (think Syrah and pepper). Other spice flavors come from oak influence. These oak-spice flavors are often times referred to as “baking spices,” “nutmeg,” “all spice,” and the like. Lastly, I think that people sometimes call the mild alcohol flavor in wine “spicy.”

Thanks, that’s very helpful. I was reading the comment from one of the lab rats above and wondered about it.

I usually drink whites and know how the different type of oaks can make a difference, but I’m rather novice at the various reds.

I know, drink more, right? For um, work research!

Read rpm’s signature, great advice. Take notes. Discover your own palate. I also recommend this thread, I continue to reread it as I continue to learn.

[labrat]

LABRAT REPORT: My first opportunity to be a labrat! I am excited, and I admit I was a little nervous as I drank this wine because I knew I’d have to report back in writing, something I’m not at all accustomed to with wine.

I had the benefit of reading two Labrat reports before I opened my bottle, so as soon as I got home I opened it, poured myself a glass, and decanted the rest. On opening the bottle, the wine was a beautiful ruby color and had a rich cherry and currant aroma. However, the aroma was the best part - the wine tasted a little thin to me. The label remarks on its velvety finish, which is certainly true. There’s only a hint of fruit at first, very little flavor (other than alcohol) through the middle, and then a thick, velvety texture to the finish that lingers impressively.

Dinner menu was already grilled mahi-mahi and sweet potato fries, so I added a little cumin to the fish and cinnamon to the potatoes in hopes of challenging the merlot. After the wine was decanted for about an hour and a half, and there was food on the table, the Oberon had opened up a lot. Surprisingly, the fruit aroma was mostly gone, and the cherry I’d originally tasted turned into more of a subtle, rich plum flavor. The thick, almost cobwebby finish was still there, although a lot of the tannins had calmed down. I kept hoping that the wine would gain more flavor up front, but it never did, and I think it actually got overpowered a little, rather than just softened, by dinner.

Overall, I’d say that at this price, it’s a decent Merlot, and you could serve it without compunction to a friend. But I would mostly just say it’s “OK.” Some caveats, though: I am mostly a shiraz/syrah drinker, not a merlot drinker, and this summer I’ve been drinking whites and roses so this is actually the first red wine I’ve had in about three months.*

Thank you WineDavid39 and Wine.Woot for this chance to be a labrat! It was fun, and it also meant I got to drink a whole bottle of wine because my wife didn’t want any wine tonight. Huzzah! And thanks to you Wooters for reading - I hope this was marginally helpful.

*Scary red wine recently served to me at a wedding dinner notwithstanding.

First Merlot I’ve seen since I started following. Wife would love it, but Kansas didn’t show up on the board this time around. Very sad.

Why can wine be sent to Arizona some days, and not other days?

Each winery has to apply for a licence for each state. Some wineries don’t buy each state license.

For what it’s worth, here is the link to the list of wineries that have already received their MD direct ship licenses, as well as those that are pending.Although Oberon isn’t on the list, a whole bunch are, including some Woot favorites. No more Wootlegging for me!!!

+1!

Is it just me, or my network, or has ww been really slooooooow to load the past few days? Kinda like this weekend appears to be shaping up. Other sites seem fine.

W w’s have been as such to cause things to be slow. How do you fake excitement over things which aren’t exciting?

When things are slow, there’s a reason…

Agreed. The very light spice you get in some Pinots Noirs is one thing, but I often find that if people call a Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Zinfandel spicy, it means that you can taste the alcohol, and it’s a bit or a lot “hot”. It’s for me very often an indication of heat. This alcohol “spice”, as you’d get from a good tequila, is a kind of kick which quite a few younger and bar drinkers like, and goes with some of the powerful American / International styles of these reds.

Clue?

From your favorite Barbie.

Mandolina pleeeze!!!

Possibly:

INSPIRATION VINEYARDS & WINERY
Founded:
Owners:
Barbara & Jon Phillips

Hopefully,
Last time I saw him he mentioned that he wanted to a Chard. vertical. That would be interesting if I ever bought chardonnay.

Edit, Now his Reserve Zin is a woot I can’t refuse. Great wine.

Gosh shucks - thanks all - didn’t see this post until today… Working on getting my permits for TX so that I can feature three Chardonnay’s - the WOOTGODS tell me that we may be on in September… As for my Zinfandel, I still have some at the winery - just let me know…

Cheers!
Jon

Thanks for mentioning us - but no, my wife doesn’t go by Barbie… not even sure what this “clue” is all about - but appreciate the woots…

Cheers!
Jon