Oh KRUPS

So, why is this Panini maker $39.99 plus $5 shipping here, and the mothership has it here for $5 less with free shipping (if you add a $1 item-- I say free shipping because frankly, who orders just one thing from Amazon?). Seems like that should be reversed.

There is absolutely no doubt that an espresso maker that pumps water at a steady pressure and temp will make real espresso while a unit that forces the water through by steam pressure makes something totally different and more akin to what comes out of those little metal stovetop “machinetta” makers.

But here’s a tip, both for the stovetop “machinetta” and the one steam-power unit offered here (that combo unit).

Turn off the power/heat before the unit is fully empty!

It seems that the last blast of superheated steam really liberates some nasty waxes, etc.

There is even one Bialetti stovetop maker that has a float-valve to prevent the last blast from getting out.

I have a lever espresso machine, but bought a really cheap electric Salton “steam toy” espresso maker and found that,by turning it off when the little carafe was about half-full and then letting it continue to fill as the pressure dropped, made a somewhat better brew. Not as good as a pump machine, but somewhat better.

Why is the fancier-looking and higher priced unit less money than the older design?

The 12 cup KRUPS FME214 coffee maker is $39.00 including shipping at Amazon. Only 3 out of 5 stars there also.

The company I work for just dropped carrying Krups due to an overwhelming amount of service issues. I’d wait for a Jura Capresso sale.

I just want Woot! to offer the clear coffee mugs. I’ve always wanted a set

Try Wally World online. They have dozens of them in all sizes and shapes. I recently replaced some footed ones, part of a large set for a card club, that were broken over time. Also, any restaurant supply will carry a variety and they are fairly inexpensive (cheap).

I used a Krupps Bistro for more than 10 years. It was nearly identical to the Combo machine offered here but the sides were reversed and the coffee side made 12 cups. I loved the darn thing but was finally forced to give it up when I could no longer replace the 12 cup carafe and Krupps was no help whatsoever! Out of utter desperation, I paid $40 for a used one from eBay. When that one cracked the whole thing was relegated to storage while awaiting my next garage sale. I replaced it with a Cuisinart 14 cup coffee maker and dug out my ancient Italian moka pot and I’m happy.

Note:
If you don’t use a machinetta/moka pot for a while, the accumulated oils will rapidly go rancid. Brew 2 pots before you serve any. The first pot should be plain water with a few drops of dish soap. Brew, empty and rinse well. Then brew the second pot with any usable coffee and toss the results. Your pot will then be properly re-seasoned and your next pot of “Italian coffee” will taste great.

I wish I had read the specs on the espresso/10 cup more closely. I saw 4-bar and assumed this was a pump, but just got it and it is a steam (as so stated, but my AADD got the best of me!). Just tested it out and it leaked all over the place due to a poor seal when the filter basket is “locked”. That what did make it into the carafe is nothing more than a strong cup of coffee, no frothy head of any kind. I expected a much better product considering the retail price. Even at the WooT price I would say I overpaid for this thing. Good thing this is just a replacement for a seldom used unit at the lake house.