Okidata Digital B4600 Laser Printer

They make analog laser printers?

Separate Toner and Image Drum?

What exactly is an Image Drum? I know that the toner is like the ink cartridge for a laser printer but this is the first I’ve heard of an image drum.

Image drum is usually part of a high end laser printer. And Oki ain’t never made cheap ones. Unless you’re in business, you prolly never heard of them. Pretty old company.

Wow. The last time I owned an Okidata printer, it was connected to my Commodore 64.

This was first sold on Woot last Feb 1/08 for the same exact price:

http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=1926582

Am thinkin of getting a laser printer as well…but am leaning to a color one, a Canon hopefully in here or on Woot. With that said, Okidata is a name brand and is very well known for office printers…

Check out this printer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828113291

Cheaper and has built in eithernet and wireless print server. Works flawlessly in Linux and Windows (cant speak for OSX since i dont have a Mac) . Also Brother is a more commonly known brand. The local office supply stores have the toner and drums in stock all the time and i live in a semi small town ~50,000 people.

Too bad it doesn’t seem to have duplex printing…

WIthout being able to print on both sides of a page, it can really make huge documents unwieldy…strange as even my cheap canon ink jet Ip3000 has duplex.

This is an awesome printer. Great print quality. We rarely have to wait longer than three seconds for the f-i-r-s-t page to print. Super quiet. Toner is pretty inexpensive compared to many printers. We’ve had ours at work for 2 or 3 years now. The image drum is separate from the toner, we usually have to replace the drum every 4 or 5 toners. We also have a system requirement for this printer that requires it to be PCL compliant. So far it has worked flawlessly.

I believe the color laser printer from ricoh was a much much better deal!
200 (tax and shipping incl) for a color laser printer with ethernet installed?
you cant beat that!

Previously seen on Woot! Feb 2, 2008 as well.

It’s not cheaper, since you have to pay $20 in shipping.

Check out this printer: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828107006&Tpk=Okidata%20B4600

It’s rated at 40k duty cycle compared to the 10k of the brother.

27 pages per minute does not equal your $99 HP.

Your $99 HP is doing 8 ppm.

I have a Okidata 810e that I bought last century (circa 1996) and it has been and still is very reliable. If history is any guide I will not hesitate to get this printer if I need a new one.

Whats great about these printers and what you need to think about compared to HP type laserjets is that you need 2 types of consumables in these. A drum that can last 15k to 30k pages and the seprate toner cartriddge. Whereas the HP and other laserjets are all in one. This can save you a pretty penny by having them seprate over the lifetime of the printer even at the higher starting point.

Why can’t this printer be used sparingly? I’m in the market for a long-lasting printer that will have a low cost of ownership. Does the toner go bad or something? I’m sick of blowing $25 on crappy Lexmark printers (if you can even call them that)

checked out the prices for toner and ink drums and it will cost approximately $370 for 25,000 pages of printing. With the Brother and HP in this price range you are looking at about $500-$550 for toner cartridges for the same output.

If you are printing under 10,000 pages/month, the Brother offers more choices (built-in networking, and wireless networking) than this Okidata for the same price.

This printer is great if you print a bunch (40,000 pages/month) and don’t mind paying for a network option, but it is likely overkill for the home user.

Printers get outdated before they die - my 16/600 was great in its day, but it is slow to even print PDF files today (slow processor, limited RAM), so I replaced it w/ a Brother multifunction (print, scan, fax, copy, w/ wireless)

I haven’t been in the market for a printer for a long time now. I loved the Oki that I had from 1995-2003, when my wife made me get rid of it to cosolidate our belongings. We kept her HP OfficeJet which is nice for its multi-function features, but I miss printing on that laser.

The great thing about Oki’s – they last a long time, and the cost per page is ridiculously cheap – when you buy toner, you buy just toner – my image drum lasted well past 45,000 pages when the printer went away.

From the looks of it, this is the same overall mechanical design from more than a decade ago – the printer rarely jammed. If I was in a market to buy a new dedicated printer, this would easily get my nod.

Hey, that’s exactly what I had! Yeah, I miss mine.

I don’t know how they compare but Staples has the
Samsung ML-2510 Laser Printer for $100 - $50 Rebate = $50 with free shipping.