Old World Winery 2010 Pinot Gris - 3 Pack

Old World Winery 2010 Pinot Gris - 3 Pack
$39.99 + $7.00 shipping
CONDITION: White
PRODUCT: 3 Old World Winery 2010 Pinot Gris
CT link above

Winery website

Could this be a varietal launch offering? I see they had an event on the 26th and this was a second course paring, yet not shown for sale on the winery site. Some tasting notes would have been helpful. Will there be rattage on this???

Second Course

Mixed Greens with a variety of Heirloom Tomatoes, Lemon Cucumber and a Creamy Herb Dressing, topped with Sherry Shitake Mushroom
2010 Mononi Vineyard Pinot Gris, Russian River Valley

$22 a bottle at the winery. Also - my tasting notes from a few weeks ago almost mirror the winery’s words below. This is a wine I like to cook with “drink while cooking” that is…

The Wine
Extended contact with the skins gives this rich Pinot Gris a peach hue. The aroma is an intense mix of apricots, nectarine and orange blossom honey with a background of thyme. The attack is subtlely sweet and bursting with tropical fruit, but the finish is dry and crisp, making this the perfect summer wine.

The Vineyard
The Mononi Vineyard is located in the Russian River Valley of Sonoma County within the floodplane of nearby Santa Rosa Creek. The creek has supplied an ample amount of river rock to enhance the minerality of the wine. The loamy top four feet of soil was turned over and mixed to incorporate the rock and accentuate it.

Owner Paul Mononi hunts deer with Darek and brings his fresh Pacific Salmon catch to make a memorable meal for the antics which ensue during opening weekend of Deer Season.

[labrat]

A late night LabRat post:
I received my golden ticket on Friday for a bottle of the Old World Pinot Gris. Although I am ecstatic I am also slightly nervous due the fact that I am a “reds only” kind of guy. I will do my best to give a report that is worthy of you all. As always, if I left something out please ask and I will do my best to respond.

First Impression:
The fist thing one notices is the color. The wine is a beautiful peach and gold and looks quite nice . the bouquet has a very definitive apricot that is mixed with honey. also it has a slight mineral quality that blends with the fruit perfectly. I am surprised that with such a high alcohol content the fruit really comes through.

First sip:
I noticed right away the taste is much different that the nose would indicate. A strong apricot is what comes through. i can taste pear in there. the finish almost has a soapy (for lack of a better word) like taste that is very nice.I can also taste the thyme as well. So far I am liking this very much! That apricot just hangs on and on. I believe at 13.8% this seems to be super well balanced and focused.

Second Glass:
The wine has warmed slightly and that allows the bouquet to stand out even more. The integrity has stayed the same and this tastes wonderful to me. If any of my friends were to ask if i would recommend a white, this will be my choice. This wine would be nice just hanging around the house or at the beach shucking fresh oysters. Two thumbs up!

Thanks woot for the golden ticket…

Thanks for the Rattage notes. Sounds tasty, I’m in!

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: emals
Speed to first woot: 6m 4.137s
Last wooter to woot: chipgreen

I am also a red wine kind of a guy, but feeling rather adventurous atm so I will go ahead and try it out.

Should this wine be aged at all? Are you even supposed to age white wines? I’ll probably drink one to taste when I get it and save other ones for some special occasions… or next summer!

[labrat]
LAB RAT Report

3 tasters who are comfortable with white or red. Bottle chilled slightly, opened and poured immediately. Distinctive blush color of wine is immediately obvious – classic Pinot Gris is pale and yellow.

Strong honey notes on the nose. Nose seems reduced and yeasty. Full mouth feel. Flavor seems sweet but not overly so. Strong honey/peach - almost cidery flavor both on the nose and palate.

Overall, this wine lacks the clean nose and flavor profile of a classic Pinot Gris. In reading the label this wine appears to have been somewhat of an experiment. With this in mind, the group poured a new glass and approached the wine anew as though it were an experiment and not a typical Pinot Gris. In both cases we find this wine unappealing. Those that buy it as a Pinot Gris will be disappointed; it’s not even in the ballpark. Those adventurous souls who buy it as an experiment will not be happy with the results either. I really hate to say this but we would avoid this wine.

Guess this will be my last rattage…:wink:

Here are two pairings with the Old World Pinot Gris that we have done at our winemaker dinners in the tasting room we call FlavorArt (it’s an art show that you can taste):

Mixed Greens with a variety of Heirloom Tomatoes, Lemon Cucumber and a Creamy Herb Dressing, topped with Sherry Shitake Mushroom

And

Nectarine Blini with Cold Smoked Salmon

These pairings rocked it!

I do three skin contacted whites: Sauvignon blanc, Pinot Gris, and Chardonnay. And they all like to be served around 50 degrees F or so to show the nuances.

thanks Darek, the pairings sound delicious. OMG Ponies and Pinot Gris.

Would you say that folks who enjoy a dry Riesling and maybe Alsatian whites would appreciate your Pinot Gris? There is tiny drop of sweetness…

This is not trying to be Classic Pinot Gris! It’s not even “regular” Pinot Gris. It’s its own unique thing and if it doesn’t work for you that’s ok, but don’t write it off because it isn’t like everything else out there.

An artist uses Experimentation and Creativity to get his art to go where he wants it. Large wineries are not capable of making art, they make what the machine allows them to make. I have full creative freedom in my cellar and I use past experience as well as future desire to craft pieces of art that are like nothing else available. That’s what keeps me interested after working in this industry for over 23 years (since I was 17).

Yes! I didn’t know much about Pinot Gris before I made one. It is a close cousin of Pinot Noir but it is an Alsatian varietal! Pinot Gris can be made into one of the most neutral white wines you’ll taste but when it is allowed skin contact it’s true colors show through. It becomes loaded with flavor and emotion and can often be an uplifting experience. We usually pour it first in the tasting room lineup because it wakes people up out of their daily slumber and can get them excited! I enjoy it as my first glass of wine in the evening.

Ahhh now this is a wine that I would love to rat! I do enjoy lighter whites and blushes for some occasions but I am a red drinker overall. Thus I am always thrilled to find a white with the body and complexity to drink more like a red…sounds like this fits the bill perfectly!

For pairings the salmon sounds delish but given how late we are in summer I would also suggest it might even make an excellent white option to stand up to all the heavy/tasty things involved w Thanksgiving turkey dinner?

If there was MD shipping I would be in for sure but I need to sit the fence for now and debate sending to NH family for the holidays…

Computer Glitch:

I just noticed a glitch in rjquillin’s post and mine on the wine pairing. It should read SHITAKE mushroom but the computer is interpreting that as something about Ponies!

How did that happen?

But I love what Texicali ali wrote:

Ponies and Pinot Gris!

Ceci n’est pas un pinot gris

Perhaps you should call it that next time.

welcome to the world of Woot! editing : )

the Woot filters are picking up the first 4 letters in the type of mushroom you mentioned and substituting the “ponies” thing.

Ha! That is funny. I guess we need to rename them Shizaki mushrooms!

Rattage on a Tuesday?? Has the esteemed WD pulled a switcheroo with the rules again? I’m certainly not complaining–lab rat comments are always a welcome sight. Added bonus, great winery participation. This sounds interesting, but as my daughter says, I have a “pallet” of wine in the basement now! Perhaps further comments throughout the day will get me to jump.