Olivestri Siloro Olio Nuovo

I’ve never met the woman, but we have so much in common… :slight_smile:

For this to be a 2014 vintage would be a travesty. The whole point of olio nuovo is to be fresh. It has a maximum shelf life of 6 months, and that is being generous.

The difference between regular extra virgin olive oil and olio nuovo is that the nuovo olives are picked a little greener and the pressed oil is immediately bottled and not left to mellow and filter itself for months like standard extra virgin olive oil. Nuovo really starts to lose it’s greenness and peppery taste after 3 months.

I believe their olive mill is in Umbria, so they probably picked this vintage in late October and the clock is already ticking.

If you can’t dip bread in this, the caprese salad was invented to showcase fresh ingredients. This also goes wonderfully as an accent to grilled fish instead of where you would use lemon.

Howard here from Casa de Case,
sorry you got the wrong product. You quoted from the Siloro from last year… the olio nuovo is on it’s own page and it says right at the top on the product description in big green letters:
This olio nuovo was crushed and bottled in October 2015 and
air shipped in the first week of November.

So, to answer specifically the question: this offering is from the 2015 harvest and was flown-in as soon as it was bottled. ENJOY!

Howard from Casa de Case… I think on our website @ $36 + shipping, this is one of the best-priced olio nuovo offerings out there, which makes WineWoot’s a must-grab … (not the mention the quality is above-and-beyond). I did some comparative clicking around the net and found a few over $20 1/2 lt bottles and one outrageous 1/2 lt at $52.99! Go figure.

Thanks for your replies, Howard! Thanks also for the Cavedoni balsamics you’ve offered this season!

You are arguing with someone who can’t imagine why a bottle of olive oil could be worth $30 (the point wasn’t whether yours is fairly priced compared to others of its kind). It’s very hard to budge someone off a position based on ignorance, not to mention of course that it’s a matter of taste, which as everyone knows non est disputandum.

+1

Here are some ideas of how to use this great oil…
You must start as they do in Tuscany/Umbria with bruschetta or sometimes called fettunta…… get some good crusty bread, toast it, rub fresh garlic on it, douse it with lots of olio nuovo and finish with sea salt(the salt is important). You’ll want to use the whole bottle like this. Have lots of napkins handy.
Here are some other ideas. This is a finishing oil – meant to use raw, not cooked. (Don’t poach your chicken in it). But it really excels when finished over hot food as it releases all the beautiful aroma.

• Drizzle some on soup, especially hearty winter soups
  • Finish Grilled Vegetables
  • It is amazing on potatoes – even mashers
  • It will bring grilled scallops to a new height
  • Any grilled fish or
  • Grilled meat will be delicious with this oil finished on top

Enjoy the Nuovo!

We’ll take care of that discrepancy some day. Either you’ll head up our way, or we’ll get to the City, sooner or later. Or meet in between. Finger Lakes are lovely, so are the Catskills.

Thanks, in for one…or two.

Question, I use a spritz of inert gas to keep opened wine fresh once opened. Will the same gas treatment for this oil be smart regarding oxidation or a waste of time?

GREAT QUESTION! I also use this system for wine, but I have never used it for olive oil. In fact, olive oil doesn’t “deteriorate” with oxidation as fast as wine… wine can die in two days, but olive oil will stay fresh for weeks once opened… but, it can’t hurt. Give it a try. On the other hand, olio nuovo is not something to savor over a long time. The earlier you enjoy it, the more alive it will be.

Sorry for chiming in so late–it’s been one of those crazy, busy days! This olive oil is really quite special. The flavors are quite pronounced and wonderfully fresh. I often use it as a finishing oil on veggies and drizzle some on grilled pork chops or some grilled seafood. You really don’t need to use a lot.

:+1:

Debated all day and decided to try a bottle. First timer. Looking forward to it. :slight_smile: