Olympia Provisions Salami

Olympia Provisions Salami

Of course for the price of $37 dollars a pound, it comes with a butler to serve it? Nah, just a wall certificate that you HAD more money than brains… but spent it.

1 Like

I agee. The only deal here is for the seller.

1 Like

Sometimes a salami is just a salami.

I got this deal a few months ago, different sausages were offered.
Everything arrived without a problem.
The sausage varieties were excellent, everyone loved them.
Price is good for this brand which is a high quality, small batch product.

I’m in for two.

(If I do it right,…) Here’s the link to the discussion about a similar deal, from this manufacturer a couple of months ago.

3 Likes

This is an excellent local artisan Portland-made product. They sell for $8.99(each) in a local grocery store. There are usually 2 or 3 varieties in the store which change seasonally. At their restaurants and online, there are additional varieties and combos you can buy. This price is better than the online price from them directly.

This is not at all the same thing as $2/lb Oscar Meyer “lunch meat.”
Same as the $25/lb cheeses aren’t the same as “Velveeta” but they are both claim to be cheese-like products.

[Edit] By the way I know I have had the Loukanika and it is very nice. Amazing combination of flavors with the spices.

These should be allowed to warm to near room temperature before serving,same as with most good cheeses. Honestly they don’t even need to be refrigerated until cut though I think they are usually stored refrigerated and shipped in cool packs.

Also, definitely check the links to the previous deal discussion. After ignoring the first few customary complaints about price, read the sections at the end about the provider, serving, and people that were happy they ordered. Best quote: “salami to end all salamis”

2 Likes

Do nutritional content labels apply for gourmet products or is it,“if you need to ask…”

Hmm… looks like that info isn’t in the photos. However you can get to all the details on the Olympia Provisions website linked in the product page.

For the Loukanika:
Pork, Pork Fat, Salt, less than 2 % of spices, garlic, dextrose, water, orange zest, sodium nitrite, sodium nitrate, lactic acid starter culture

The other would be similar but different spices

Oh, I see the label in the pictures, just didn’t scroll through before-
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 ounce (28g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 80
Calories 110
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8g
12%
Saturated Fat 3g
15%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 15mg
5%
Sodium 520mg
22%
Total Carbohydrate <1g
0%
Sugars 0g
Protein 9g
18%
Calcium 0%
Iron 4%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie
diet
Calories per gram:
Carbohydrate 4
Fat 9
Protein 4

Freud would disagree…

1 Like

@pmarin If they sell in local grocery stores for 8.99 each, then this is not a deal. You have to buy 4 and do not get to select which variations you want and pay effectively the same as you would buying them individually.

I suspect that is a typo.
These sell for $11-12 per stick at a local shop.
To be fair, the selection is limited to what’s in stock at the shop anyway.
I haven’t seen one of these varieties there.
So far every style I’ve had was excellent.

Getting them for under $10 @ is a good price.

Wanna play hide the salami?

I see it! I see it! It’s right there in your cart you silly goose

This got most than a sensible chuckle out of me. Kudos writers. Hopefully the warehouse can shake loose some refurbed salami for them.

About the price, it is $12 from their site or I guess in their restaurant/store. The $8.99 (maybe it is $9.99, can’t remember) is at a Fred Meyer store which is a Northwest regional chain (now owned by Kroger). So they probably price a little bit lower than full retail.

But they usually have just 1 or 2 types, and also some cool other products from the same company (pate’, rillettes which is weird thing). Sometimes I am very lucky and find something with the markdown sticker (a yellow/orange sticker that any Kroger-chain shopper might be familiar with). That’s actually how I tried this first – I probably wouldn’t have paid $9 for a tiny salami, so I paid $4.99 or so.

But now that I’ve tried it, I decided it definitely is worth it even at full price.

For Raphael42, yes, it’s true that the math at $8.99 (maybe it was $9.99) wouldn’t quite make it a great deal. (but remember shipping and packing in an insulated container). But, unless you are in the Pacific Northwest, can you find them in your grocery store? that is the question. Compared to ordering from the site, it’s a better deal and perfect for the holidays. The full price is $12 so the math for the comparison price is 4*$12 + shipping. (from last deal discussion, someone said there is free ship over $50 so if you bought more stuff that would work.)

This is not a grocery item and it won’t be next to the hot dogs and cold cuts in the main refrigerator section. It will just be in the Deli area which is separate, and not all stores (for example the Fred Meyer chain I mentioned) have the large gourmet deli area. It just happens that I’m lucky to have one of the larger stores near me with the full-service deli, cheese counter, olive bar, all that foo-foo expensive stuff, ya know.
(overall it’s not a gourmet store but they are trying to compete with the local trendy organic hippie places, not that there’s anything wrong with organic hippies. As long as they can afford their expensive salami. I might be one of them.).

I bought the last deal, and I’m buying again. Top-notch stuff and I want to try the different varieties.

2 Likes

I decided to order also! As I said I can get some varieties locally, but I know I will be travelling for the holidays, and decided to just have it sent ahead (in case I’m not there yet, there’s someone to accept the package and put it in the fridge – though as I said these are basically shelf-stable. The whole idea of “provisions” are things that could be carried with by travelers, hunters, explorers, back in times where there was no refrigeration.)

1 Like

Where have you been? Oscar Meyer lunch meats start at about $5 a package, now usually only 7 to 9 ozs. Or just like any deli meat, about $8 - $10 a pound.
About the only thing cheaper pre-packaged is “Polish style” ham.
And as far as being an “artisan product” we have at least 4 “artisan” brands in Chicago with more in the immediate area, and at least a dozen more in Wisconsin, Michigan & Iowa that I know of.
NONE of them cost more than half what these guys want.

Shipping on some gets pricey if you are only buying a pound or 2, but usually we can get a decent sized order together with friends.

The only thing I’ve willingly spent nearly this much on was some air cured meats I had tried importing from Europe myself.