Olympus PEN-F Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only)

Olympus PEN-F Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only)

Nearlt bought this until I saw it has no mic input. What’s up with that?

It’s primarily a still camera, for, like, photos. You probably need a DSLR if you want to plug in a mic. Or a real video camera.

RE: No mic, Sure it does – Check specs [under video] at getolympus[.]com/us/en/pen-f.html

The PEN series are really nice – I have a couple of lower end models – but I think the Panasonic micro four thirds are generally considered better if you’re going to drop that much $. That said, several other companies, e.g. Nikon, are jumping on the mirrorless bandwagon, and with larger sensors, might be a better choice for many people. The PENs have in-body stabilization, & being micro four thirds, will work pretty well with an old 35mm lens using an adapter, though of course manual rather than auto. That’s actually what attracted me to the PENs. Olympus also has a line of consumer lenses that are much cheaper on sale than anything I’ve seen comparable.

Per the specs:

Audio Recording Built-In Microphone (Stereo)
Audio File Format Linear PCM (Stereo)

It’s a very good price. You’d have to work to get a good used one for less.

A very good camera (still the best m43 sensor), probably built like a battleship, but a very idiosyncratic product. Who is it for?

Fancy JPEG presets and good looks are great, but without a built-in flash and kit lens it’s hard to recommend to beginners or hobbyists.

Flip out screen and small mirrorless format are usually good for video, but there are better options at this price point.

If you’re already in m43 you probably have an opinion about this camera. If you’re not into m43, I don’t think I’d recommend starting with this particular camera.

my .02

1 Like

The PEN-F is a great little camera. It has the 20mp newer micro four thirds sensor, unlike most of the Panasonic and Oly m43 bodies. I. disagree that for the $ ‘Panny is considered better’. I have this and the Oly OM D EM1.2 and use them both. The PEN is mainly for street and travel.

You missed the word “input”.

Oohhhhhhhhhhh.

Like I said…no mic input. Most high end cameras have a mic input these days. Jeeze.

Most digi cams come with a mic input these days. No one wants to use a video cam for youtube.

I received this today and even though it was supposed to be “Condition: New”, the box clearly has a sticker which says “REFURBISHED”. I have contacted Woot support via email but not heard anything yet. I’m not sure if this even has a warranty from Olympus if it’s refurbished?

Hi there. I’m very sorry about this. I see that CS answered you yesterday. Make sure you check your spam email box. We end up there a lot.

I’ll ask the Electronics team about it as well.

Thanks, I did receive an email from CS that they will check with the vendor to see if they have new replacements but it will take 2-3 business days to hear anything back.

Hi there. We heard back from the vendor. There was an error where the wrong label was applied to 4 units. Looks like you got one of them. :\

They are new but with the wrong label.

Thanks for the follow-up. I checked the shutter activation count on the camera and it was only 26, so it does look like a new camera. All the functions seem to work and it still has the plastic protection wrap on the screen and flash, so it does look like new, and I have decided to keep it.

1 Like