Oneida Du Parc 18/10 65-Piece Flatware Service Set

Same problem here. The forks are mostly gone for good I’m afraid.

18-25 year old male + take-out boxes for dinner + access to metal utensils = the utensils being tossed into the trash just like their plastic brethren.

I found out when the dog got into the trash bags once. I went from cursing the dog to cursing the son when I found utensils in the styrofoam container from the local take-out buffet. It explained the whole mysterious vanishing flatware thing.

Bwahahaha

Not saying that this set won’t be great, but a set made 10 years would have been MADE by Oneida not just branded by them. According to the Wiki article they stopped manufacturing in 2005.

Regardless of who manufactures it (China has taken over the world, haven’t they?) this is a solid set. I would expect this to be 18/0 stainless at this price. For 18/10 the price is spectacular and the set should last forever. If I needed a set - I bought my 18/10 flatware 10+ years ago & it still looks new - I’d go for this one.

Paid $100 for this on ebay less than 48 hours ago. I mean this exact set, with 65 pieces. I couldn’t be more angry.

My first ever Home.Woot purchase. I am upgrading things for the home and this was on the list. Now I need a nice 8 or 12 piece set of dishes.

Good Luck with that, last time I looked you couldn’t find any steel flatware still made in the USA, maybe some has come back don’t know. I believe a few still manufacture high end silverware in the USA, but silver is a little out of my price range.

We bought this set (actually two of them) on clearance at Macy’s a few months ago. We absolutely love them. We picked the pattern because they’re the perfect casual/formal-ish blend - we use them for everyday meals, but they also came out for Thanksgiving and got compliments from the parents. They’ve held up wonderfully to dishwashing, and still look great. They also have a nice weight to them, which is something I’m pretty picky about. I hate silverware that feels like plastic.

Even though I picked them up cheaper than this (I just got very lucky - the cashier was shocked at the price and kept rescanning them to verify), this is by far the lowest price I’ve seen since. I’d highly recommend them.

The name is a deal-killer? You’ll forget the manufacturer after a month.

These are beautiful, but I’m looking for a set with trowels for spoons and screwdrivers for knives. That’s generally what they all get used for in my house. Oh, and double the number of spoons. I suppose they’re all congregating with the single socks somewhere.

Same here - just bought a condo and have nothing to put in it. 225$ on Macey’s… Grabbed a set for me!

The problem is that to make stuff cheap they sometimes cut corners. It may SUPPOSED to be 18/10 but you never really know with off shore imports. 10 years ago your flatware was probably made here and it is what it is supposed to be. Of course, any reasonably priced flatware is going to be made off shore these days so you don’t have a lot of choice…

“Discontinued Pattern” - so be sure to get enough while you can as it may be hard to come by later.

my first home.woot purchase! finally something to get me away from wine.woot! and there should be no adult signature required for this delivery…

It IS discontinued; there are other pieces for the set, but if you check Replacements, Ltd., the prices are pretty steep if you want to add ice tongs or anything else.

Also, about the 18/10: according to About.com, 18/10 can be as low as, say, 8.3% nickel (instead of 10%), since it doesn’t fit the 8%. There’s no telling, though, for most silverware - and the silverware is lovely AND very well priced!

I don’t think it’s overkill for 2 people at all. If you think about it, service for 12 will give you 6 meals with the 2 of you before it needs washed. My husband and I are buying 2 sets of 12 to give us a little more time between washing.

I bought a set of Oneida 18/10 flatware back in the 70’s. It looks almost as good today as it did back then, alowing for 30+ years of daily use. But, last year I decided to update my look and support the economy by buying “stuff.” I selected a new set of Oneida 18/10 (not this pattern and stamped “Indonesia”) and the knife blades started to discolor almost immediately. Later the fork tines began to discolor. That leaves the spoons that still look good. Unfortunately, I gave my old set to my daughter and she likes them or else I’d start using them again. Please, some company, start making stainless in the USA again!

18/8 is as stain resistant as 18/10. Both are way better than 18/0 in any event. I would be just as happy with 18/8 as 18/10 and have owned both.

I touched on this in my other post, but I bought this set over the summer and have run everything through the dishwasher weekly since. They’ve held up perfectly, including the matte finished part.

I was JUST going to post that. Wooters are smarter than you expect …

Actually, I started out with a 12 piece set similar the the quality of these as I was passed down my Mother’s “china” as soon as I became a parent (I was a single parent then mind you). I only used half the set at first but in 8 years I have married and now have 4 kids under my roof! It was nice to break out the rest of the silver so buy this and keep them until you need them! Because eventually you will (wether due to family expansion or hosting Christmas). :slight_smile: