Onkyo 5.1CH 3D Ready A/V Receiver

I’ve seen a few comments regarding wattage of this amplifier… 60W is more than enough to drive ANY set of speakers that you’re likely to have in the home. The main determinant of volume is actually speaker efficiency (usually measured in dB). An increase of 3 dB (not much) in speaker efficiency is equal to a doubling in power, and an increase in 10 dB is a 10X increase in power. Keep that in mind if all you’re looking for is volume levels. It’s the speakers, not the amp.

One of the best deals I have seen here. I have a similar model (but a few years older) and the HDMI does not support 3D. This is a fantastic buy that will give you a lot for your money.

60 Watts is Plenty for home entertainment for most people.

Hey thanks for your input. Would I still be able to use the poweramp? Or do I just connect speakers straight to this

Does anyone know if this will up-convert the Component inputs and output over a single HDMI Cable?

Will this handle four Boston VR3’s…?

Onkyo is well known for their quality issues. They break A LOT, to put it simply. Check out audio forums or for that matter Amazon’s reviews of ANY onkyo. You’ve been warned!!

This is a really good deal. I thought I got a good deal at Best Buy a couple of weeks ago getting this for $159, should have waited. Happy with it so far in my setup. Have a 3D Blu-Ray, cable and Xbox coming through the receiver via HDMI and no issues so far. Lots of additional features with the receiver I haven’t even tapped yet either. Plenty loud enough for our needs.

I have an Onkyo now that I’ve had for over 10 years, no issues. It’s all component though so I’m looking to move up to HDMI. Will this take an HDMI input and output it to Component?

I think only the hdmi ins come through the hdmi out. There is also component in and out, so I don’t think it will upconvert like you hope.

I bought this same receiver about 3 weeks ago from an amazon deal that was front page for $127. Haven’t hooked it up yet but every review that I’ve read says that this is an excellent receiver for the money. Saome have said that there have been issues with the HDMI inputs buts that number is small compared to the total number of reviews.

I checked and this model doesn’t have upscaling of composite or component through the hdmi. That being said, your TV may do a decent job of it. It will just match your resolution. It will turn it into digital though and send it over.

Onkyo has a sound name for a reason. You can’t confuse the 2% that complain for the majority. I have NEVER had a problem with any of my onkyo equipment. If you don’t abuse it, it will generally last. Furthermore, it comes with a 2 year warranty. For all the features this has with a 2 year warranty for the price, you cannot beat it.

I would not buy an Onkyo unless you want to throw the money on a roulette wheel. I have a 705 and the thing can double as a stove. Has Dolby chirp problems that many many many others report. Look at their reviews. Lots of out of the box problems with HDMI etc…the company has really went to the bottom. Don’t let their good prices fool you…it doesn’t do you any good to have a non working receiver for any price…

I don’t see anything about connecting Sirius to this unit. Is it possible?

True, but you can’t beat it for the price, keeping in mind it is a starter amp. So what if it poops out in 5 years, although I doubt if it will unless Onkyo is not up to their old high quality standards. However, I have an old hefty Onkyo bruiser and its center channel crapped out after about 7 years of use.

I now have a high end Denon With Audyssey EQ mike and all. I bi-amp, something rare these days. What I hate about it is there are too many choices. Punch the wrong button and it takes me forever to make it right. I long for the good old simplistic days of using buttons rather than circuits/boards to make AV choices. Today’s AV receivers are way to confusing with too many silly choices.

Two Questions!

1. What kind of speakers can one recommend (for a slick deal) to connect to this receiver? Also, a sub.

2. I picked up a NIB Pioneer VSX-822-K (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+-+700W+5.1-Ch.+3D+Pass-Through+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/4789445.p?id=1218527811471&skuId=4789445) for 79 bucks after tax because the 821 I ordered from the website said it was “ready for pick up” and they didn’t have it.

Which receiver is better for the money?

Been looking for something like this for a while… I’ll take my chances on the HDMI issue, as I wont be beating the crap out of it… Worst case VISA will help me out after year 2

The very first stereo I purchased was an Onkyo in 1987. It still works, and I use it to listen to music in my home office.

Since then, I’ve owned a handful of Onky’s and have been very happy.

UNTIL. The last Onkyo I purchased, a TX-SR606, cooked it’s HDMI board in less than 3 years. The price to repair was more than the cost of a new receiver.

I’ve gone without a receiver for almost 2 years now. I need a new receiver, but haven’t been able to pull the trigger.

Honestly, with all the quality problems that Onkyo has had (just read AVS forums), I’m not sure I will buy another Onkyo.

I will say that the price on this unit makes taking a gamble an easy risk.

Consider a new wife in place of a new receiver. It makes sounds you’ll actually enjoy.

I have 2 Onkyo’s and love them. I have had to crank up the center channel for dialog to come through but I am 46 now. Yikes !! Too much load music maybe. :slight_smile: