Onkyo 5.2 or 7.2 Network A/V Receiver

I purchased the 7.2 a few months ago, having previously had an early HDMI Onkyo which I’d never had any issues with (though the HDMI was pass-through only, hence the upgrade).

My thoughts:

HDMI switching takes an absurd amount of time. It’s not unusual for me to see 30 seconds or more when switching sources. My Xbox One has largely eliminated that issue since I don’t switch between console and TV anymore. Still, I’d consider it unacceptable. Also, if receiver is powered down when not in use, the HDMI initialization is painfully slow as well.

Size - I think this is very noteworthy. One of the selling points on this for me was that the depth had been shortened by almost two inches since my last purchase. Everything is getting smaller, yet receivers seemed to stay the same. +1 for this receiver, BUT it’s also taller and didn’t fit in my available space with adequate ventilation so I had to modify my entertainment center. I guess I should have measured that too :wink:

Apps Everything has apps anymore. Onkyo’s are mediocre at best though once configured there are some decent options. Still, You’d be better served using any of your other dozen app devices than these.

** Android App ** Works well enough, but tries to connect to my Xbox One as well and encounters conflicts since I added that to the picture. Overall it’s of pretty mediocre design and poorly thought-out from a layout/human factors standpoint, but it does work and it is free so it’s hard to knock them too hard on that.

firmware updates Updating the firmware was super-simple and I did it as soon as I’d plugged it in. Recommend doing this immediately. Hopefully it means Onkyo will address some issues.

overall Overall it’s a decent receiver. At the price, I don’t necessarily regret it, but if I could do it over again I’d be more thorough in my research.

I bought an Onkyo 5.1 last December. Just like everyone is saying the HDMI just stopped working, only had the unit a little over a year. I also found out that it was a B-Stock which means it only had a one year warranty not the two years. The only good news is Onkyo gave me a 45 day grace period so they are going to fix it for me, I was lucky. I searched the web and sure enough lots of HDMI issues with Onkyo. I’m not impressed with the Onkyo quality, I’m not buying another Onkyo.

Just chiming in to be the 4526th person to say “never buy an onkyo.” Cheaply made, bug-ridden, and have a shockingly high failure rate. Save your money and get a yamaha or a sony.

My current onkyo stopped outputting HDMI last night, requiring a factory reset. Now it won’t play pandora. It sees the account and the list of channels, but none of them will play. Firmware is up to date and everything. When you get an onkyo, you’re signing yourself up for annoyance and frustration.

(inb4 onkyoUSA starts telling us we’re all exaggerating)

I bought the Onkyo 5.2 a few years ago. The thing heated up so much it could double as a BBQ grill. The thing burned out after just 2 years. No recourse with their customer service. Never again Onkyo, you blew it.

Has anyone ever tried using the HDMI inputs on the TV itself? I have only 4 HDMI devices and they all work perfectly via my 65" plasma set. I’m still in the stone age using optical audio output and could not be happier.

DO NOT BUY ONKYO! Look at reviews on their own site and on the web. I just threw my Onkyo receiver that I bought on Amazon last week. It was only 2 years and 2 months after purchasing it. There are known defects in this design. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!

All receiver brands can have their problems, unfortunately. Ones I’ve directly dealt with:

-Flagship Yamaha DSP-A1 with a failing screen and a dead left channel in the power amp section. Was definitely old and past its time though.

-An HDMI Harman/Kardon AVR with dead video everything. It was poorly engineered/tested, I fixed it by following H/Ks instructions to replace a couple soldered fuses with bigger ones and solder a new wire inside.

-A newish Sony- dead.

No experience with Onkyo. Sample size is limited!

Given the above, though, I’d still go for a Yamaha. I looked inside the top of a RX-V475 and it was filled with quality Nichicon capacitors. Caps in the audio path appeared to be Nichicon Muse. There were two very large Jamicons on the power amp board though, the pricier RX-A730 had Nippon Chemicon in those positions.

Meanwhile, the HDMI H/K was filled to the brim with general purpose off-brand caps… Samxon, I believe.

A new Denon I looked at had an odd mix of quality and cheapo caps inside.

Capacitors are a good indicator of quality. Better capacitors themselves will likely give you better service life but they also show the willingness of the manufacturer to not skimp elsewhere.

Apples to apples: the Onkyo’s output rating is with both main channels driven, the JVC is with one channel driven. Power supplies drop their power as the load increases. Therefore the JVC power rating is actually overreated.

This user’s complaint is that although the Xbox360 can output 1080p via component cable, the receiver will only accept a 480i input via component. They may or may not have your artifact issue as well.

The 7.1 that was on Best buy yesterday was the slightly older and also budget version model HT-R2295. This is TX-NR626. They have a slightly different feature set and (dont quote me on this but I’m pretty sure that) This model on woot here has a much better version of Audyssey which (believe me) is really helpful with getting your speakers set up if you aren’t super into spending a lot of time and research tweaking the volume and eq levels to suit your room. I believe the old version of Audyssey on that model from best buy also did not adjust the sub.

That said… I’ve owned Onkyos the past few years and they all burned out about 2 weeks after the warranties. I switched to a budget Yamaha 5.1 (RX-v373) a little under a year ago and it’s been great so far.

Woot, if you put the top model (non audiophile/home version) kick butt 7.1 Yamaha up on here at a good deal, you will have at least one buyer. I keep hoping to come across a good deal on a better model Yamaha because I’m ready to upgrade from my temporary yamaha from when my 3rd onkyo went out (well 2nd technically, I’m counting the one I got my father for fathers day a few years ago which also went out).

Picked one of the 5.2s a few weeks up a few weeks back to replace a low end Yamaha 5.1 that lacked DD+ and I wanted more HDMIs. So far so good and no major failures that turning it off and on didn’t fix.

Pros
6 HDMIs
No set up issues and Audacity set up is very easy and sounds decent.
Firmware update was smooth and easy.

Cons
Seems a little under-powered after my lowend Yamaha but still plenty for my smallish living room.
Input labels are limited to preset and make personalization wonky at best.

you’ll love the exploding power supply feature, really brings the special effects into the living room along with fragrant burnt ozone smell.
dear mr onkyo usa-
if you’d care to put your money where your mouth is and send a free top of the line replacement unit you may reach me at [removed personal info].
when you fail to do that as well i’ll be mentioning it the next time your craptastic product is wooted. cheers…

My TX-NR626 currently reads “FiOS DVR”. Try upgrading your firmware? Per the manual (Downloads | Onkyo - Sound Acoustics), it’s under Setup->Source Setup->Name Edit (page 60 in the link, your model may vary).

Hello JEMiller; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we thank you for your posting and patronage with our cool TX-NR 525 receiver.

It must be a great thing if you are in the market for another one- maybe you can use it for a nice subtle Superbowl party- hmmm!!

As always- We also would like to inform you that we do provide 24 hour Product Support at (800) 229-1687 and also have a FAQ and Product Support forum as well at forums@onkyousa.com to better assist you as well. We thank you for your posting and also for choosing Onkyo. Happy New Year as well to you and your family from Onkyo USA!!

Hello again macdaddy1; thank you again for your posting and feedback on our ability to capture FM/ AM terrestrial radio broadcasts. Do you happen to own one of our TX-NR 525 or TX-NR 626 receivers? Many previous customers have expressed their pleasure with these new units- based on recent feedback on forums and dealers’ web pages. We would like you to see the subtle differences made and improvements requested by you, the customer.

We thank those again for your interests and choice in Onkyo again.

Hello mattison88; that’s great that you are now a new Onkyo owner and wish you countless hours of AV nirvana. We also would like to inform you that we do provide 24 hour Product Support at (800) 229-1687 and also have a FAQ and Product Support forum as well at forums@onkyousa.com to better assist you as well. We thank you for your posting and also for choosing Onkyo. Have a Happy and Rocking New Year with your new receiver, from Onkyp USA!!

I wonder why?

I bought this 7.1 receiver brand new on Amazon Black Friday for the same price. On Christmas I get it all set up and I was very annoyed at how long it took to switch between HDMI sources. The XBOX 360 stopped working all together until I changed the resolution settings on the XBOX. I had everything set up the way I wanted it, upgraded the firmware and then an hour later it popped and gave me a speaker wire error. I reset it to no avail and ended up sending it back to Amazon for a refund. Stay Away!!!

Hello Musaffa; this is Onkyo USA and its Product Support department and we would like to offer some clarification. Yes the inputting source device must be set to 480i for proper conversion up to maximum resolution supported by your TV/projector. When you press the DISPLAY button repeatedly- it’ll indicate the incoming and outgoing video signals and it also verify that you should be actually viewing to higher video quality on your TV. Simply put- to utilize this up conversion- the source device must be set to standard definition 480i (not progressive).

If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would assist and answer any questions or concerns you may have with your Onkyo product, as we are also available via email onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com.

Denon is no better. Sent my AVR 2312 back to Denon twice in a year for HDMI problem. They replaced the circuit board the fist time and the second time (had to wait a week for them to finally pick up the shipping) they said there was no problem and sent it back. Still doesn’t work. I have a $600 doorstop now. Going to look at Yamaha next time.