Onkyo 7.2CH A/V Receiver w/ Wi-Fi & Bluetooth

Time to check out the product page and check out this “excellent” review over at cnet

[Preview 1][Preview 2]
http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/f85e5b46-b5f7-4747-b2f5-e5e2d326d5d4.jpg

Onkyo 7.2CH A/V Receiver w/ Wi-Fi & Bluetooth
Price: $249.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 days (Wednesday, Jan 14 to Thursday, Jan 15) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](Onkyo 7.2CH A/V Receiver w/ Wi-Fi & Bluetooth) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Onkyo 7.2CH A/V Receiver w/ Wi-Fi +%26 Bluetooth) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](Onkyo - Google Shopping 7.2CH A/V Receiver w/ Wi-Fi +%26 Bluetooth)

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
12/30/2014 - $249.99 - Click To See Discussion (108 comments)
10/21/2014 - $299.99 (Woot-off) - Click To See Discussion (2 comments)
10/13/2014 - $299.99 - Click To See Discussion (61 comments)

11/3/2014 - $299.99 (Woot Plus)
10/21/2014 - $299.99 (Woot Plus)
10/13/2014 - $299.99 (Woot Plus)

Great Reviews over at B&H Photo

2 year warranty for new on amazon for $299, 1 year warranty for 249 + $38 for 1 extra year of squaretrade. Hardly a great deal

I bought this one back on 4/22/14 and it has worked great up until last week. Starting last week I’ve had the sound go out 3 times and have had to shut the received down and the sound was back when it came back on. From Goggling the issue it looks like it might be the HDMI board issue that I’ve heard others talke about. I guess I’m going to have to look at the paper work to see how to contact Customer Support and see what kind of assistance they can provide (if it’s supported).
Don’t get me wrong, this is my 3rd Onkyo receiver I’ve bought from Woot and this is the first issue I’ve ran into, but I have to admit that the thought of unhooking everything and hooking up the old unit doesn’t really appeal to me at all.

Bought one of these last May. Video goes out after 15-30 min. Took to authorized repair center and was told they couldn’t fix it. Called Onkyo support and they said I would have to send it to regional repair center at my own cost and there are no guarantee that it will be fixed. Unacceptable. Do not buy this product.

Good reviews over at Crutchfield.com, Engadget.com and TrustedReviews.com

I’m generally a fan of Onkyo having bought three over the last 15 years and currently using one in my main setup. But I believe this model is one of the ones affected by the HDMI card burning out over time. Buyer beware.

The 636 is Wirecutter’s best receiver:

the woot deal is for the 626; wonder what the difference is.

Just wish I felt more confident about buying refurbs…

UPDATE

Here’s the difference. Quite a lot it seems:

http://awesomescreenshot.com/00446iml26

There’s a reason these refurbs come around so often. They’re not well made, so there’s a continual stream of them. That goes, too, for the software which they use for the networking features - there are known issues which Onkyo still hasn’t fixed.

You are correct…read the reviews at Amazon.

I purchased this receiver in the fall from Woot. I absolutely love it. I bought it for a weekend cabin so it gets limited use, but I am thinking of moving it to my home theater and moving my Pioneer receiver to the lake. The Onkyo has a much better onscreen setup and a vastly superior remote phone app than the Pioneer unit. The sound and picture seem better, too, although neither my speakers nor my TV at the cabin are anything special. I also love the built-in WiFi and Bluetooth that my other receiver has expensive add-on modules to achieve. I would recommend purchasing this receiver. At this price, I may buy another just as a spare.

I purchased one of this about six months ago. A few days ago out of the blue it stopped working and it smelled like smoke. I unplugged everything and tried to turn it back on. It comes on for a tenth of a second with “check so wire” error. I googled that and it is a well known issue.

The biggest problem? Even under warranty I have to ship this unit to a repair facility on my dime. Stay away.

That comparison in the table is either poorly formatted or incorrect. Things that apply to both are not consistently centered or mirrored, but are instead often listed only on the 636 side. For instance, both receivers do Dolby TrueHD and room calibration. The key differences are the enhanced 4K support, seventh HDMI input (but fewer composite inputs), and increased power per channel versus the 626 here.

Ah, Onkyo again. My mission in life is to warn the public about this terrible company and these terrible receivers. Luckily I only have to tell folks to google “Problems with Onkyo receivers” and the internet does the rest. Oh ya…stand by in about 5 hours and this dude named ONKYOUSA will be on here answering every post as if to assure us that they are are really not as bad as the majority of the buyers think they are…

The HDMI issue was in units produced during and before 2012. These units were produced starting March 2013 and does not have this issue.

You can read the Onkyo rep’s posts in the previous sale starting here.

Bought one of these for the same price a few weeks ago on the main Woot page. So far it is a fantastic upgrade over my older Sony receiver. I thought the sound quality was good on my Sony, but using the dynamic setup microphone with the Onkyo has totally changed my mind. Hookup was a breeze and everything is working as expected. Streaming via bluetooth, HDMI audio/video and streaming Slacker radio are working just fine. So far I am very happy.

Reading a lot of negative comments about Onkyo. Those seem to be related to a specific issue with a previous product generation. I also read the posts from the Onkyo rep. It appears to me that they are offering a no-shipping charge repair on that previous gen. To me that seems like they are willing to make-good on their product. Onkyo has been around forever, I am comfortable ‘rolling the dice’ with them on this purchase. Hopefully I won’t be back in a few weeks/months lamenting my decision.

Regarding your quote and the one before yours, please provide some proof of these claims, as I have not found either to be true at all. Quite the opposite, actually.

Will Onkyo guarantee that?