Onkyo 7.2CH A/V Receiver w/ Wi-Fi & Bluetooth

I didn’t compare manuals, but I just checked the NR616 and HDMI inputs go out both HDMI paths simultaneously (with menus only showing on main) if configured that way (defaults to only main).

Is this 110v/220v or just 110v? I am overseas but plan to return to the US some day. I would love to have this reciver but I need to make sure I can run it without a transformer/converter.

What exactly do these things do? I recently moved into a house with ceiling and outdoor speakers with lots of wires under my TV, would this connect everything for me?

Does the HDCP handshake between the tv and Bluray work when passing through the receiver? The one I currently have doesn’t work worth a flip.

How does this compare to the obviously older tx-sr805? I have a chance to pick that up for a good used price. No wifi and no bluetooth on the 805, what else might I be losing or gaining going with one over the other?

So far I’m happy with my purchase. I have some quibbles with it, but it turns out ALL receivers have the same limitations:

1. WiFi connection works and I can stream a bunch of services including SiriusXM. Even though this receiver handles video switching and even upscaling to 4K, it won’t connect to Netflix. Dumb.
  2. Bluetooth connectivity is limited. I’d like to be able to send content to my Bluetooth headphones, but all this receiver (and it turns out every other one that has Bluetooth) can do is receive content from Bluetooth devices like smartphones and tablets. (cue Price is right loser horn)
    I have a Sony Blue Ray player connected that also decodes SACD and my copy of Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon sounds AMAZING - the music dances around the room. Just like being at one of their shows.
    Love the remote app on my phone - makes switching the Zone 2 audio source a piece of cake.
    The auto setup with the included mic locked in my room and movies and TV shows sound fantastic. Blows away my old Sony 5.1 receiver.

I know, no HD radio bugs me too… Have you seen many receivers with HD radio though? I haven’t, at least below the price of a moped. I was trying to figure out whether the web-connectivity would be a passable substitute for HDFM, but I’m not sure. I like Onkyo, but I REALLY like HD radio.

Any suggestions, anybody?

:confused:

I bought the tx-NR616 with the same dream, but the upconversion leaves a lot to be desired. There are too many artifacts. I opened a support case, provided videos and all of the information they needed and I’m left for months with “We’ll let you know if engineering comes up with something”. I exchanged the unit and the new one had the same problem. Actually, it’s been over a year now. Mostly, I’ve avoided using the upconversion, especially on my projector. Menus have pixels that flash on and off. I have found passing through SD and using the SD input on my projector looks best. Seems to defeat the purpose of upconverting receivers! Fortunately, I can pass my PS3 through and stream HD to the HDMI input on the project for movies and HD streams, but anything I record on my SD Tivo needs to be analog.

I won’t let them off the hook. This was the MAIN feature why I upgraded my old rock solid non-hdmi receiver.

Hopefully you have better luck?

Here’s my old Amazon review:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R353PSO0ZHUZGQ/ref=cm_cr_notf_fhv_prd

HD radio charges a license fee, so it’s not something you can just throw in for $3 in electronics. That’s probably why they don’t have it.

Per the specs,

Power Supply: AC 120V, 60Hz

I bought this in December and its a good receiver. Only analog out of zone 2. I took the analog right and left audio out of cable box for the fix. The net for streaming or dlna does work for zone 2 though. At this price the hd radio and only analog for zone 2 is a minor setback.

This is a main contender for some of my tax return, but I’ve gotta ask, did Woot ever replace the TAXSUCKS coupon with something else? $50 in tax is a little overwhelming.

Yes.

I bought this new on woot a few months ago and when it is working it runs perfectly. The problem is that since the purchase in September it has been in the shop twice and lives there now. Maybe my unit was a lemon but I’m very disappointed and unlikely to buy Onkyo in the future.

@jespensc, completely agree on the lack of HD radio thing. Anybody who has heard HD radio, even in a noisy car environment, will recognize the sweetness of it! It brings the mediocre FM spec limits up to near CD sound quality. And it even improves AM to approaching FM quality - you do notice it even on news/talk content.

I guess the Receiver brands figure nobody listens to broadcast radio anymore. But this can’t require more than a $5 chip. Seems like the broadcast industry would even subsidize it to prevent their death.

OK, it’s not the same device, however, when they ran this receiver, and the 727 before Christmas I bought the 727. It has a lot of great features, but controlling them is a little sloppy… That wouldn’t necessarily put me off of it, but the real problem is that it has video problem. The video cuts in and out for a while, then goes to a green screen. I haven’t had time to deal with it yet, but be aware there are issues with some of these units.

Onkyo has not convinced me they’ve stepped it up from where they were a few years ago. You are buying a receiver that someone else bought and it failed. Not only that, it is a current model, so the failure occurred quickly.

The CS appears to be really trying. The QC/Design/Manufacturing is not with the program. I was stoked about this deal the first time I saw it, because I remember Onkyo when it meant something. The more and more I see it, the more I am convinced I’d rather pay a few hundred bucks more for a brand I’ve never seen dumping refurbs of a current model back onto the market.

I’ve been wanting to buy this receiver and upgrade my existing Onkyo receiver for a long time now since these keep popping up on woot every other week. However I must say, I was turned off by the number of complaints from people saying that their HDMI controller boards kept burning out, and Onkyo having a relatively short warranty. What really turned me off entirely from purchasing this receiver altogether was Onkyo themselves coming onto the comments section here and giving a ‘cut and paste’ blanket response to basically every negative and honest thing that was complained about their units. I’m convinced that Onkyo has lost their edge in making a quality product, and I feel that they have been surpassed by other companies that produce higher quality receivers with better and longer warranties. I’ve been eyeballing a Yamaha receiver at Costco for a couple hundred dollars more with a lot more bells and whistles, since you basically get a lifetime warranty there if you bought it through Costco.

Wondering about the warranty: Woot shows 1 year for this. Onkyo’s site lists 2 years. Is that just because this is a refurb? Thanks.

Correct. As a factory refurbished unit, it carries a 1 yr warranty.