Ooma Telo VoIP Home Phone System

I bought a refurb from Ooma a few weeks ago. The quality was choppy at best even with my high speed. I decided to return it while I could. Ooma has a 30 day return policy. It took 3 months and a lot of emails and phone calls to get my money back. If it works, these things can be great but Ooma’s customer service (If you want to call it that) is pretty shady at best. And as previously stated, Woot does not refund money unless its DOA.

OK, took one for the team. I’ve been watching Ooma for awhile…knew it was only a matter of time.

They really don’t care, its a standard disclaimer so if they find you are using it in a call center or similar they have grounds to cut you off, they are pretty open unofficially about not caring if you are using it in business as long as its not a 24/7 use type thing, a regular biz would be fine.

Can you try it (with a new number), then port it to your old number if you like it?

Thanks.

boc

My first real woot comment - Sound quality and call reliability are extremely poor. I bought this as a refurb on woot after doing tons of research. I was a fanboy before I even got it setup! Months of dropped calls, no calls (without a hard reset), and callers getting frustraited with me because they couldn’t hear me. Once I was on a conference call trying to put on do not disturb. Instead it sent the conference call to voice mail. I couldn’t do anything about. Once the voice mail was full, everyone got disconnected because I was the leader. I gave up and retired it. I have Verizon Fios and no connection problems what so ever so I doubt it has anythign to do with my connection, not sure what all the good hype was about.

Did you hook it up directly between the broadband modem and your home router? It does QoS which means it will prioritize the voice traffic over your data traffic if you hook it up as stated. If you hooked it up off of your router and your router was not set up for QoS then its not right to complain. It works like a champ if hooked up correctly.

Yes, you can install with a new number of your choosing and then port if you want at a later time.

I have to get the kids up for a bath, I need everyones fingers and toes crossed that a bag of Chuck Norris does not come up while im upstairs!! xoxoxoxo

Argh! Trying to order one but keep getting an error :frowning:

We use ours to replace my $50/mo home line, and my brothers $100/mo pest control business line, my brother pays $120/yr for premium and we pay $3.50/month for the basic service, it paid for itself in like 2-3 months for us even with the extra fee to transfer the 2nd number. And the multi-ring feature means that even when she isn’t home my Mom(bro’s secretary) can take customer calls. WAY better than magicjack.

Yep, just a bag of 500 errors.

We did, we had used magicjack before and had lots of problems, so we were cautious, used it for 30 days then did a number port, but it does mean continuing to pay for the current service til the number moves, was 2 weeks each for our lines, but I have heard it is usually faster now.

It’s a mixed bag. It does take a little doing to get the voice quality where you want it. But once it’s set, then it’s as good as any other phone system. The problem we’ve had is we’re on our third unit - they’ve been replace under warranty both times. But three units later??? Really? Based on other people’s reviews, I think we just had bad luck with the first two… I hope. The price is tax only (3.99/mo for us) and then an extra 10 if you want the premium service - which really isn’t a bad deal at all. I saw go for it! At $99, you can’t go wrong… unless you get one that goes bad.

We got ours on Woot and are generally very glad we did.

Dang I missed this deal…if anyone has buyers remorse let me know. Must be unactivated though.