Optoma HD 1080p Home Theater Projector

Wootalyzer’s Pricing Post! - The price of today’s woot item is saved here for future reference

Optoma HD 1080p Home Theater Projector
$649.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

DISCLAIMER Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

I wonder if squaretrade offers a warranty on the bulb, 30 days is not a long time at all. Anyone have an idea on replacement bulb costs?

I’m putting a down payment on my first house this week. I can’t… be… buying… this…

Must… RESIST…

WTF is a lumen and how many of those things do you really need?

Congrats

Very good reviews on Google. 5.5 out of 6 stars from 188 reviews.

And new prices range from about $950-$1050.

EDIT:
Hmmmm … the above link seems to be for the HD20, which has identical specs to this HD180, as well as an identical look.

Purchased one on these on sellout woot. I used it for less than 10 hours and stopped working. Sent for warranty service… came back DOA. Back for service again… Wish I would have bought new. Saved a few bucks, but I may never enjoy my home theater again.

I have been through 3 of these. Couldnt get the HDMI to work right. Kept glitching out on me, even after multiple HMDI cables.

If it’s anything like the Optoma HD66, it’ll look amazing.
Cheaper DLP tech is awesome.

The only thing I’m somewhat concerned with is the 1700 lumens vs my HD66’s 2500 lumen.
You’d want at least 15 feet of space as well.

The replacement bulbs seem to run somewhere in the $230 - $270 range.

CLICK HERE

It’s a unit for measuring how much light something puts out. How many do you need? Depends on how bright the environment you want to run the projector in is, and how big you want the projected image to be on the wall/screen. I can’t give you a specific answer, but someone who has more experience with this sort of projector will, I hope, speak up.

So funny…I literally just stopped playing L.A. Noire on my Optoma 1080p projector(PS3 version) to check the Woot.

I bought one of these last time Woot offered them and have had a blast with it.
Picture is crisp and colors look great!

Being a Vice cop is even more fun on an 11-foot screen.

The more lumens the less darkness is required to see the projection.

This is an HD180 no an HD20.

Real reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD180-1080p-Theater-Projector/dp/B003Y06L1A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1306646362&sr=1-1

Notice there is one from woot too… wasn’t happy with it.

Most lamp warrantys are 6 months/500 hours. The new warranty is actually a year on this model.

The official lamp looks to be $250. I’ve owned 2 projectors. Trust me, you don’t want to get crappy lamps. They are dimmer, last much shorter time periods, and often have color issues, when compared to the OEM lamps.

Also, don’t shop for a “bulb”. A replacement lamp for a projector is a “lamp”, and includes the entire housing, with bulb inside. Some people will sell just the bulb, but you don’t want that, either.

If you don’t like the thought of spending $250 every couple years on lamps, then maybe a nice 40" LCD would work for you. This is part of the deal when you upgrade to a projector.

I hardly ever have anything to say about products these days, but I can vouch for this projector. I have this unit mounted on the ceiling in my basement and it is fantastic. 1700 lumens provides just the right brightness when the room is filled with sunlight, while not being overly bright during the night hours. I have the unit mounted 14 feet back from the wall and the image is over 130" diagonally. On low brightness the bulb has lasted 3500 hours and is still going strong. Quality is superb, even when projecting on a blank (or in my case, a slightly brown) wall. A projector screen isn’t necessary for an excellent picture IMO. I replaced the bulb a few years ago for the fairly cheap price of $180. Changing the bulb was quick and easy. Can’t say enough about this projector – Especially at this price. I payed almost 3 times the price for this unit years ago.

Lumen is a measurement of perceived brightness by the human eye. It’s all very technical and kinda beyond my knowledge, but here is the Wikipedia article, if you’re interested. The number of lumens you’d need depend on various factors, i.e. darkness of the room, size of the picture, viewing distance, projection surface, personal preference, etc. From the reviews I’ve read, this projector gives out enough light for an excellent picture.

This product description made me giggle. I sang along to the song and everything. I won’t be buying the projector, but thanks for the laugh!