Optoma HD Gaming Projector

Congratulations, you’ve discovered that “HD” is a completely nebulous marketing term.

I’m a zombie for the Armagedd-Off. :happy:

With a short throw projector, make sure where you want to mount the projector is close enough to your screen. I have one and I found out that I had to do a ceiling mount rather than the wall I wanted to do. I had to get closer to the screen to get it to fit.

Not sure that’s related. They also have GT700, GT750, etc. I think it was just the next number in the series.

The 700 series is 720p resolution. It is pretty standard in the industry.

I agree. Too many people make too much out of resolution. I snicker every time I see someone complain about a sub 60" TV being “only” 720p. Even most commercial movie theaters only project in 1080p digitally. Not many 4K systems out there.

Except you are completely wrong.

This thing is 1280x800. 800 vertical lines. 1080p (full HD) has 1080 vertical lines. If you send it a 1080p signal the projector will scale it down to 720p. Same thing if you sent it 1600x1200.

However, this projector would actually be just fine for Xbox360/PS3.

Why? Because both of those consoles are not rendering the games at 1080p, they are rendering them 720p or worse and upscaling the video to 1080p. That is why setting your Xbox360 to 720p will look better on this projector than setting it to 1080p. Having the Xbox upscale and the prjector downscale creates a distorted image. Sending the image at the lower, but not upscaled 720p quality will look sharp on this display.
So if you want a projector for console games and DVDs - this would actually be a good choice.

Ya didn’t read my post, did you.

I used to be a dealer and I am stil an integrator. Skip their products, all of them. Find an nice Epson unit instead and avoid frustration.

Sorry, I took this to mean that you felt they were downsizing it to something less than HD. My apologies.

My very next sentence:

I concurr. Epson makes a great product. They are one of the brands that I have come to trust. When I get a printer, I usually get an epson as well.

For me, the deciding factor was the horrible RBE that I saw on the optima that I briefly own. It seemed well built. I didn’t have that with my previous DLP, but after seeing it on the Optima I realized it was better to go LCD: Even if you don’t see RBE, someone that comes over might.

Here is what RBE looks like. You really see it during motions scenes or high contrast such as credits. It made me sick enough not be able to watch.

I use this site often for unbias reviews. here is one for this projector: Optoma GT720 Game Projector Review